Brandon Routh | Film | Ian Roberts | Kevin Spacey | Rugby | Superheroes

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Rugby Icon Ian Roberts in Superman Returns

Ian_roberts_l_1

Kudos to Bryan Singer for offering gay rugby icon-turned actor Ian Roberts a Hollywood break, though his casting in Superman Returns does little to quash the movie's gay vibe. Roberts, who has been in the news recently for his appearance at a recent inquest in the murder of Arron Light, says he's thrilled about his stint as a henchman to Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor.

He'll head to L.A. for the movie's June 21 premiere: "I'm just getting so excited about the trip [to LA] now, it's going to be the absolute highlight of my career."

Ian_roberts_1

And just for the record, here's one of the most well-known pin-ups of the hunky Ian Roberts.

Ian_roberts_beefcae

And a particularly relevant shot follows after the jump...

Ian_roberts_superman

Previously
Gay Rugby Icon Ian Roberts Testifies About Abuse [tr]

Comments

1. I don't know about the studio, but yeah, Superman's got some gay vagueness but don't most all superheroes? Isn't that part of the reason so many of us gays are all about comic heroes in the 1st place? However, either way, publicity is publicity and all this "gay" talk should help more than help the movie if you ask me. And despite the casting of that Kate Bosworth whom I can't stand, I hope the movie fares well.

Posted by: Bobby Alexander | Jun 12, 2006 9:50:17 AM

2. Ian looks like a retarded beast.

Posted by: ugh | Jun 12, 2006 5:37:42 PM

3. Handsome, muscular men in tight fitting outfits with a secret 'other life' - no, I`ve no idea why gay men love superheroes...

Because they`re super and heroes?

Posted by: peterrivendell | Jun 12, 2006 6:21:46 PM

4. Luthor gets all the cool henchman.

Posted by: Shannon | Jun 12, 2006 7:34:44 PM

5. Make that a hot retarded beast. Actually, Ian's anything but retarded. He's terrific. A real gay hero for coming out the way he did. Glad to see he's in Superman, which I really look forward to.

I love how Brandan Routh had a girlfriend plastered to his side at the MTV Movie Awards preshows. She seems to be signed on for lots of his appearances. And he made sure to make a reference to how he may break out the tights just for the two of them in private. It's like he's simultaneously promoting the movie and going on a Hetrosexual Tour.

Posted by: SG | Jun 12, 2006 10:01:12 PM

6. HOLY WOW!

Who wd have thought: in sepia tones... What a HUNKA HUNKA BURNIN' Love!

=)

Posted by: Gilli | Jun 13, 2006 12:03:30 AM

7. Ian Roberts should play a super hero - maybe Colossus

Posted by: Steve | Jun 13, 2006 6:41:33 AM

8. Ian Roberts could play a super hero - if not Superman then maybe Colossus

Posted by: Steve | Jun 13, 2006 6:42:55 AM

9. He might also make an excellent hard-core coed sex-wrestling fighter. Just a thought.

Posted by: Chester | Jul 5, 2006 3:48:10 AM

10. Ian is hot, talented and seems well liked and happy with life. I would put money on it that "UGH", who states that Ian looks like a retarded beast, is not only NOT well liked but also NOT talented and NOT good looking......sounds like a bit of a loser flinging mud if you ask me.....be nice people!

Posted by: Daniel2 | Jan 12, 2007 12:32:59 PM