Gay Pride | New York

BigGayDeal.com

Half a Million Celebrate Gay Pride in New York

Nyc_pride_1

Half a million people came out to celebrate Gay Pride in New York City yesterday in a parade that included Senators Hillary Clinton and Charles Schumer, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Attorney General candidates Mark Green and Andrew Cuomo, Representative Anthony Weiner, and Empire State Pride Agenda-endorsed gubernatorial candidate Eliot Spitzer.

Pictured marching with Clinton below are parade Grand Marshalls Florent Morellet and Christine Quinn.

Clinton_2

Also working it was club icon/gay bashing victim Kevin Aviance.

Aviance_pride_1 Aviance_pride_2

Later, at the annual Heritage of Pride pier dance, J Lo was this year's "surprise" guest. And, elsewhere, in town, Liza Minnelli was crowning a winner at the Pet Pride pageant.

NEW YORK PRIDE PHOTOS on flickr.
Flickr photoset: Boss Tweed.
Flickr photoset: kidflash.
Flickr photoset: sooserious.
Flickr photoset: icopythat.

More Pride events around the world:
road.jpg CHICAGO: Gay Pride Parade Spirited Despite Rain.
road.jpg DUBLIN: A Record Gay Pride of 7,000.
road.jpg SEATTLE: Streets packed..."unbelievably big".
road.jpg ATLANTA: White County Teen Kerry Pacer Leads Parade...
road.jpg SAN FRANCISCO: Hundreds of thousands fill Market Street with color.
road.jpg TORONTO: Couple of 50 years lead parade as grand marshalls.
road.jpg PARIS: Welcome to the Disco.
road.jpg LONDON: Navy uniformed in parade, Army and RAF not allowed.

Comments

1. No mention of Toronto - the largest Pride celebration in North America?

Posted by: andy pants | Jun 26, 2006 1:16:16 PM

2. Or Denver Pridefest, which was huge. (The Denver Post is estimating 200,000)

Posted by: Aaron | Jun 26, 2006 1:49:57 PM

3. Man, you guys has J Lo, and we had NO ONE! SF needs to get their shit together, and kick off all the old people who run everything! They have NO clue!

Posted by: Roy | Jun 26, 2006 1:59:58 PM

4. Another Pride season is now history. Betty Bull and Freddie Fem will have to show off their bad haircuts and cheap shoes at home. Airlines, local bridges and tunnels have become the hangover expressway. The shrill shrieking they thought was so funny at 3AM last night sounds exactly the same as it repeats endlessly in their throbbing nauseated heads. AAHOOO cackle, cackle AAHOOO (isn’t that hilarious?) The hot guy you lusted after yesterday only imagines you looking as you do now. A heap of ill fitting stinky clothes lying in a pool of your own filth wondering why you can’t ever get the really hot guys.

Come back again next year.

Posted by: sickofitinSF | Jun 26, 2006 3:22:37 PM

5. Thanks for sticking up for us Denver folks Aaron!

PrideFest in Denver is an awesome event!

Posted by: Ladd | Jun 26, 2006 3:42:17 PM

6. Well Roy, sorry you got to miss J.Lo, but unfortunately here in New York they have to use all the money that a $125 per person Pier Dance ticket buys to help pay for some tired "diva" to keep the jaded queens that bought said ticket happy. And I'm sure the Heritage of Pride commitee must has rolled out the tickets under the guise of the money going somewhere worthwhile... oh thats right, I forgot. What could be more worthwhile than J.Lo lip synching a song or two and telling the crowd the canned PR material she was fed 5 minutes before she got on stage ( " I love gay people! I wouldn't be anyhwere without you! Did I mention I love gay people") Man if that won't kick your E or T or G or X or Q or PNP into overdrive I don't know what will!

Yeah it must suck Roy, because in San Fran you have a group of gay people that are worth being proud of, on the forefront of real issues like gay marriage, universal health care, and integrating members of the AIDS community into ALL aspects of the world. You have no idea how proud you can be as San Franciscan gay man or lesbian until you see how truly fake and artificial gay New York has become.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 26, 2006 3:47:38 PM

7. Jesus...lighten the fuck up you jaded bitches! It's a freakin' parade for chrissakes...get over your uptight hyper- critical selves and have some damn fun! +Peace+

Posted by: Brett | Jun 26, 2006 4:25:41 PM

8. SICKOFITINSF,

Jesus...jaded and nasty a bit?

Posted by: Tom | Jun 26, 2006 8:57:26 PM

9. Brett-

You sound like you might be a dumb ass bartender who had his moment of fame as you took your place on the side of a lube company float. Good for you!

Martin

Posted by: Martin | Jun 26, 2006 9:28:26 PM

10. enough with the cities of fabulousity and their "over it" jaded queens. believe it or not, the heartland frequently has it all over the self-appointed world capitals of queer. Denver and my home town, Minneapolis had successful, fun and spirited Pride fests. I know it's tired and dated, but time and time again, the sight of all gay people taking over the streets - if just for a day - fuels my hope. and today - that was enough.

Posted by: resurrect | Jun 26, 2006 10:07:21 PM

11. I'm sorry -- I know in-your-face activists will disagree -- but the outrageous behavior at Pride events, as evidenced in the first picture above, contributes to the passage of anti-gay marriage amendments in the states and contributes to hostility toward gay rights.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 27, 2006 4:15:25 AM

12. Jack, you're not the only one. I find these "pride parades" as distasteful as religious picketers at gay weddings. I went through hell in my youth because I couldn't identify with gayness, which I conflated with flamboyance thanks to these parades. Efficient gay activism (you can replace gay with religious, feminist, etc.) begins by showing others how we are like them, not otherwise.

Posted by: Colin | Jun 27, 2006 4:45:08 AM

13. I agree, Colin.

It's like children acting out against their parents for the sake of shock value.

I would be equally disgusted if I saw some hetro couple on the street in foolish clothing with their tongues darting in-and-out of each other's mouthes. It's not hot, it's rude and offensive.

It's not about lightening up, it's about representing a movement for civil rights. Rights that will allow us to be "equals" to our hetro counterparts in the eyes of the law. If that's not the point, feel free to enlighten me.

Mike P., 29, San Fransisco

Posted by: Mike | Jun 27, 2006 9:22:40 AM

14. Holy shit! There's a lot of gay-bashing in this thread.

Posted by: JT | Jun 27, 2006 9:23:41 AM

15. Keep the circus acts in the club tents!!!

Posted by: John | Jun 27, 2006 9:35:53 AM

16. Gay bashing? What constitutes gay bashing, JT. I think there is a lively dialog going on about issues/ideas impacting each of us as gay men.

Everyone should feel comfortable expressing their opinion, regardless of where it falls on the popularity meter.

Posted by: Sean H. | Jun 27, 2006 9:38:00 AM

17. Sean: I agree that people should express themselves freely. And, if I could, I would remove my post. My point is that we can disagree without attacking another person's views, choices or lifestyles. Insults, derision and name-calling are as hurtful coming from another gay person as from a whack-job.

I sincerely apologize for calling this gay-bashing, too.

Posted by: JT | Jun 27, 2006 10:08:14 AM

18. I'd perfer to think of Kevin Aviance as a "gay-bashing survivor" rather than a "gay bashing victim" as you described in your post. Someone who rides out on a float only after being beaten up two weeks before really shows a lot of spunk in my book!

Posted by: Chris | Jun 28, 2006 10:55:10 PM