George Michael | Great Britain | London | Music

Tab: George Michael Sex Cruise on Hampstead Heath

UK tabloid News of the World caught George Michael allegedly fooling around with a 58-year-old unemployed van driver from Brighton in some bushes in a cruisy area of Hampstead Heath outside of London. It's 1998 (the year George was caught flashing a policeman in a Beverly Hills park) all over again, but this time the paparazzi and not the police claim to have evidence of Michael's cottaging habits.

MichaelWhen confronted, the tabloid claims that George said, "I don't believe it! F*** off! If you put those pictures in the paper I'll sue! Are you gay? No? Then f*** off! This is my culture! I'm not doing anything illegal. The police don't even come up here any more. I'm a free man, I can do whatever I want. I'm not harming anyone." Obviously, the tabloid went ahead and published the photos.

The tabloid allegedly tracked Norman Kirtland, the man they claim was involved with Michael at the Heath, to Kirtland's apartment in Brighton. Kirtland seemed unfazed that he too had been caught in the bushes. He was super chatty about the adventure:

Kirtland"I don't even like George Michael. And I didn't recognise him immediately. He sort of came up and got close. He looked kind of brown so I said to him, ‘You're not totally English, are you?' I told him I'd come all the way up from Brighton and he said, ‘What? Isn't Brighton good enough for this sort of thing?' I told him it's highly dangerous at 2am. You'd get your throat cut. He told me I could contact him on the Gaydar website and we just started kissing. He did it very well. That was one of his major points. Then it was fondling and mutual pleasuring. It wasn't full sex but it was fantastic...There's a secret that I have which no one knows about. It's a personal thing. Most people pull away from it. But George actually seemed to respond. When we'd finished he said, 'I've got to go. I've got to go somewhere and chill out.' And that was that. OK, I admit I was there for sex. But I'm astonished a man as famous as George should even think about doing it. It's potentially so dangerous."

George Michael can't seem to catch a break from the relentless British paparazzi who recently labeled him a wasted stoner. Said Michael of the tabloid stories, "It's strange to look at this parallel life, this Fleet Street life."

HampsteadHis Fleet Street life includes two other incidents well-documented by the tabs; one in which Michael was allegedly slumped at the wheel of his drug-filled car, and another in which Michael slept at the wheel wearing an iPod, woke up, and drove into a street marker.

Michael has said that the tabloid attention is the result of Elton John's comments that George was in a strange place and needed to get out more.

I'm sure this isn't what Elton was suggesting. Calling the News of the World report "totally built," Michael's long-term partner Kenny Goss told a group of press gathered around their home in Highgate: "George is not going to say anything today. This is behind us. That is everything we are going to say on the subject. We are getting on with the rest of our lives."

Maybe now would be a good time to put out that unreleased remix of "Outside".

George's Sex Shame [news of the world]
Slideshow

Previously
George Michael: Dazed and Accused in London [tr]
George Michael: Wake Him Up Before He Go-Goes [tr]
George Michael's Former Friend Talks to the Tabs [tr]
George Michael: It's Elton's Fault [tr]

Comments

1. I need to travel to England, more.

Posted by: Rad | Jul 24, 2006 9:16:48 AM

2. This is so weird it has to be true!

Posted by: dc-20008 | Jul 24, 2006 9:19:49 AM

3. Sad, he use to be so hot, now he's a joke.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 24, 2006 9:25:00 AM

4. Why is Norman even talking? Have some class and keep some secrets brother.

peace

Posted by: James | Jul 24, 2006 9:34:16 AM

5. it's like watching a car crash... can't help rubber-necking.

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 24, 2006 9:59:35 AM

6. If Norman is going to be so forthright about the encounter, the least he could have done is fill us in on his "secret". Now I am really intrigued.

Posted by: Richard | Jul 24, 2006 10:00:31 AM

7. Fame sux!

Posted by: Giovanni | Jul 24, 2006 10:39:05 AM

8. poor bastard

Posted by: b mac | Jul 24, 2006 11:02:31 AM

9. He's an embarrassment. How gross...

Posted by: CJ | Jul 24, 2006 11:15:52 AM

10. Will someone please send George Michael and Whitney Houston to rehab so they can start singing again?

Drugs are so cruel.

Posted by: Anon1 | Jul 24, 2006 11:57:55 AM

11. Um, I thought Britain was famous for its rentboys? Wouldn't that make more sense? George hasn't aged gracefully; he does look like your average old Greek guy. Say what you will about Madonna or Tina Turner but they still look GOOD!

Posted by: noah | Jul 24, 2006 12:01:34 PM

12. George. George. George. This is our culture? Um, no. Our culture isn't about having sex in the bushes with anonymous strangers. Do gay men do this? Obviously. Gay men also bareback, listen to crappy dance music, think Latter Days is a great film and label every other singer a "diva" with such frequency, the term has lost all meaning. Doesn't make it part of the culture.

Posted by: Marcolo | Jul 24, 2006 1:13:40 PM

13. Hmm... what secret? Do you think Norman has a wierd fetish? physically deformed? maybe HIV positive?

The suspense is killing me Norm!

Posted by: Jeffrey | Jul 24, 2006 2:02:29 PM

14. LOL....Marcolo, you left off the fetish worship of pretty str8 boys, an overemphasis on extravagant spending, and (too frequently) a lack of concern or consideration for others besides ourselves. I know exactly what you're saying, but it is part of some of gay culture....along with MUCH that is good. We are humans...and (predominately on this site) guys, which mean that we are no better and we are no worse than most. George seems to be having a tough time of it, and my sympathies are with him, but he knows he is press fodder and needs to come to terms with the persona he's creating. He's not a representative, but, honestly, he is one of us.

Posted by: psmike | Jul 24, 2006 2:09:40 PM

15. George. All I`m gonna say is, you know, pick something prettier ... poor Kenny.
    PS: When you sing that you prefer 'dancing with the freaks' I now see what you mean.

Posted by: peterrivendell | Jul 24, 2006 2:42:04 PM

16. Michael is in an open relationship. His latest episode of his escapades could simply mean that he is a sexaholic. And a druggie. Obviously, there is something wrong with that. Despite being in an "open relationship" and being a huge star, you would think he would be able to find hotter guys.

Seems to me that Michael is in need of MAJOR THERAPY to figure out why he is so self destructive.

Posted by: FunMe | Jul 24, 2006 3:33:04 PM

17. PSMIKE,

I totally hear and agree with you. The minute I hit "send" (or whatever) I realized that George's actions are a part of our "culture" as it were. As were all the things I bagged on. And fricking thank God they are (minus the barebacking, although I hear the BB points,too - just too dangerous for my tastes.) I am glad I am a part of a sometimes crazy, whacked-out, nutjob community. My point only was that most gay people and the gay people I work and socialize with do everything straight people do. Today, I got up, showered, went to work and eventually will go home. For George to claim it's part of our culture to "cleanse" himself of the pure skankiness of his alleged actions is just wrong. I have done skanky stuff, I just don't pretend it's anything but pure, full-on skankiness. We all know our str8 friends are just as bad in their own way.

Anyway, loved your response. you rock!

Posted by: Marcolo | Jul 24, 2006 11:26:41 PM

18. Its easy for people here to judge George but tons of gay men have sex in a park.
    Its okay to have sex. However, if you're having sex all the time and not having a life then you got a problem.
    Not exactly uncommon. I think people here are surprised that George is having problems just like everyone else. Maybe George's lover Kenny isn't as nice as some people think. Its obvious George has got some unresolved issues.

Posted by: Anthony | Jul 25, 2006 12:28:45 AM

19. Hmm. I'm still wondering about that "secret" too - I'm surprised that that part of Norman's "shag-and-scream" (thanks, Catherine Tate!) hasn't aroused more comment.

Posted by: Thom | Jul 25, 2006 1:25:25 PM

20. norman's secret is obviously that he is hiv positive. duh. and im willing to bet that, like many sex addicted gay men, george michael is as well.

but they do have an open relationship and everyone involved are adults and seem "relatively" sober. give the guy a break. if i had cameras following me around at inopportune moments or photographing everyone i had sex with when i just wanted to get off - it wouldnt be pretty!

Posted by: pk | Jul 27, 2006 3:57:00 PM

21. I think what George SHOULD have said, was that it was a PART of our culture...but either way, it's not one ANY of us should be proud of. Having been labeled "sexual deviant's" and "mentally ill" throughout modern history, I can't see where behavior like this help's any of us make any progress in convincing straight's we should have the same right's as straights...Not that we should have to ask them in the first place. I love George, but he has no accountability in his life any more...and that is a problem alot of us have... Love from the States!!!

Posted by: Scotty | Mar 22, 2007 1:40:04 PM