Video: George Michael To Sue Photographers, Stranger

Gm_bbc_1In an interview with BBC News (watch video) George Michael yesterday said he’s suing the photographers who harassed him as well as his alleged paramour Norman Kirtland, a stranger Michael says he’s “never, ever seen, let alone wanted to have any kind of sexual encounter with.”

Michael is also considering libel action against “secondary” media who floated the story that the singer had given his partner Kenny Goss a £1 million gift in order to keep their relationship together. He is not planning on going after Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World, who broke the story and published the photographs. Said Michael: “You find someone who’s happened to sue Rupert Murdoch in the modern world and I’d love to meet them.”

Michael also defended his right to cruise at Hampstead Heath at 2am, saying it’s nobody’s business but his: “The question is not whether I bring it to the public, it’s why I have to defend it in public, because I don’t want to have to talk about it at all.”

Previously
Will George Michael Pleas Shut Up [tr]
George Michael: I’m Not Ashamed [tr]
Kenny to George Michael: Engagement is Off [tr]
Tab: George Michael Sex Cruise on Hampstead Heath [tr]

Comments

1. R.K. says

As a young gay male, I have a question for Mr. Michael, and for all gay men for that matter: Please help me understand your desire(s) to “cruise.” To me, it seems too great a risk; after working so hard to acheive all one has in life, why engage in such risky behavior for such a trivial pay-out? Please don’t think I’m juding; I simply seek to understand. Thanks.

2. says

So you can suck a penis in public… Just not talk about it? I say once you’re giving BJs in public spaces, your privacy shouldn’t be an issue.

3. jimmyboyo says

God damn

Who are these guy’s pr people?

He should be quiet and drop out of the public eye for at least a year.

This issue is NOT equivilant to his being outed. This instance will NOT boost his record sales like his outing did.

My god man

shut the F up and chill for a year

4. Chris says

I think it’s his right to do what ever he wants. I applaud him for being open about it. i don’t think it should suprise him that the media is all over it though. He’s a fairly famous guy. Do like his “fuck you’ stance. somwhow find it refreshing.

5. mark says

R.K. you can ask the same of celebrities who gamble or shoplift (they already have as much money and material goods they would ever need, so why?). It’s not the act itself but the rush they get from doing it.

I don’t care what Georgie Porgie does in the bushes but unfortunately he and the press are determined to drag it out in front of the rest of us. We need more stories about Sir Ian McKellen. There is a gay man who is a real role model… of course he’s also old, which is why is nearly invisible to the youth-obsessed of us.

6. mikey d says

Boy George…er I mean George Michael needs to give it up. He really is making a fool out of himself now.

7. says

I remember the good ol’ days when George Michael was famous for singing “Sex is best when it’s one on one.” I have to agree with you… he just needs to shut up and go away now.

8. Leland says

The discussion is clouded by his use of the term “cruise.” Anybody out there who can definitively answer whether it’s just him, or a common British variation of the term to mean “have sex” rather than our [i.e., American] “look for a sex partner”?

9. Rad says

Stage 3: Denial. I guess he finally did sobor up and realized exactly WHAT he cruised.

R.K., I guess men “cruise” for a lot of reasons, however in my experience, it’s mainly for anonymous sex of most any degree. It’s the term coined since made famous from the Al Pachino film of the same name. There is no dignity in the matter; no sense of uplifting a community standard. It is for the sake of sex, pure and simple. Yes, you do risk what ever life equity you have established, not to mention your physical life if you engage in the unprotected sex. The mind set is some… sense of affirmation when you connect with somone on such an minimal level.

And then there are those who cruise to find a new husband… Start with the dick and work your way upward? I’ve met many men like that in my lifetime. Occasionally men do proclaim to cruise for fun; just to meet men in a social envirionment.

So what is cruising? Generally, you go into a gathering of like people in a social situation (bars are most frequently used, but it could be parks, community centers, etc…), find some people (strangers) that your eyes just gravitate towards, and muster up the courage to go up to them and introduce yourself. And it works the other way, too, where you are approached by a total stranger in the social setting.

I hope that helps.

Rad

10. Zeke says

RSL, you took the words right outa my mouth! When you do private things in public, you can hardly claim an invasion of privacy if a person catches it on film.

I keep hearing that the thrill of public sex is in the possibility that you could get caught. Why then do people feel so violated when their fantasy is realized?

11. Zeke says

Ole Georgie seems to be having renter’s remorse with his “amor du noir” in the light of day. I think one of the other reasons for having sex in the bushes, in the pitch black dark is the fact that one can fantasize that the person they’re getting it on with is 6’2″ of 25 year old, rock hard Italian muscle. The bloom comes of the rose when you see a picture of your date, in full light, the next morning on the cover of a tabloid magazine.

I think THAT’S what GM is pissed about.

12. david says

hasn’t anyone commenting had a one night stand before? what, REALLY, is the difference between going to your local bar/club and taking a stranger home and going to a well known cruising spot and messing around with someone? the fact is, george michael is a celebrity and no matter which way he goes about his cruising it is going to draw attention. if the man who claims george tried to seduce him is actually lying, then yes: george should sue. but other than that? i think he should leave it be. and we should leave him be. alot of the comments on here are very “people in glass houses”…

13. says

I wonder if this incident might actually promote cruising on Hampstead Heath! There’s certainly a motive for 60-something truckers to engage in this activity; I doubt if Norman would have a chance of picking up a superstar singer down his local bar!

14. Giovanni says

I’d have to agree with you , David, the gay stable is surprisingly full of high horses. You’d think no one had ever heard or (been to) of the rambles, the meatrack , the dunes, etc… etc… etc… before.

It’s also interesting to note that the same people that were condemning GM for buying his bf’s forgiveness yesterday are curiously silent when that, among other things, turns out to not be true. If I were GM the only pointing finger I would concern myself with (besides bf’s) is my own fuck you in the middle.

Having said that – the driving while stoned thing is not so fresh (and an actual crime) and is going to get him, or more importantly, someone else killed – clearly he either needs to quit, hire a driver or go to jail.

15. ric says

the whole thing is just sad and boring. he should just get his shit together and put out some good music. a person’s sexual exploits are really at the low end of the conversational spectrum and really, does anyone even give a shit? Seriously. He’s now the next tired, old, crazy music queen right behind Elton and Morrissey. Nice company George.

16. Mike in the Tundra says

It seems to me that the most important thing in this thread was a young gay man asking more experienced gay man a question. Mark and Rad did a good job of answering. R.K., you will cruise, because by definition you need to do it to meet other guys, but stick to your guns (I’m not certain if that’s a pun or not). You decide just what you want to do after the initial meeting. If some guys aren’t happy with waiting, their will be plenty of others.

17. jmg says

Call me a cynic, but I am not sure I believe the first post from the “young gay man.” Seems a little too well-written.

18. says

Everybody! ‘Club Tropicana drinks are free, fun and sunshine, there’s enough for everyone…’
    Oh, the old songs, the old days, the old pop singers.

19. Kelly says

George Michael said Cliff Richard is vile and vulgar(Cliff never has been). It seems to me George is the one who is vile and vulgar. And I think intimate acts should be done in private. Maybe George should get with Heather Mills(they seem two of a kind in their private acts). If you get what I mean.

20. SS says

This is exactly the kind of fucking PR that the gay community does NOT need… he’s setting us back quite a bit. One of the interviews referenced here has Georgie saying “gay relationships are a little bit different… I’m sure we’ll be allowed to roam if we want to.” Um, overgeneralizations, anyone? Sorry, George, not EVERYBODY in one of those “gay relationships” has your apparent overpowering need to blow strangers at 3 AM. Keep your opinions to your overblown self.