Books | Golan Cipel | James McGreevey | New Jersey

BigGayDeal.com

McGreevey/Cipel Affair Turns into "He Said, He Said"

Confession_mcgreevey_1Golan Cipel is painting a far darker picture of the relationship he had with former New Jersey Governor James McGreevey after excerpts from McGreevey's new book The Confession were released to media last week. Cipel, who dropped his harassment lawsuit against McGreevey, told the New York Daily News that he received threats from "Jim's friends" if he talked to the press and that their relationship was forced on him by McGreevey:

"I wasn't his lover. I didn't have sex with him. I never heard anything from him saying that he loved me. The only things that happened were sexual harassments. And unwanted sexual advances and assaults."

3653228"One night, McGreevey called me and asked me to come over to speak to him about something related to work. I came to his house and we had a good conversation and, all of a sudden, he asked me to go to a bar. I said, 'I think it's inappropriate for you to go to a bar, you're the governor.' And he said, 'This is my neighborhood. I grew up here, everybody knows me, I'm fine. I just want to get out a little bit.'

"I thought, he's the governor, I guess he knows what he's doing, so we went. There was a state trooper outside guarding the house and the trooper insisted he escort him. McGreevey said no, but we went to a little neighborhood bar in the Woodbridge area and the state trooper is behind us. Everybody inside knows him. He ordered a beer for himself and for me. I said, 'I don't really drink.'

"He drank, I think, two glasses. He tells me, 'Come on, be a man, drink a little more.' I just took a few sips. I'd left my briefcase at his house so I had to get it. The bar had a liquor store and he said he wanted to buy liquor. He bought Jagermeister. I drove him back home, I got my bag and he said, 'The news is coming on, please stay, I want to talk to you about something.'

Cipel"He was pouring us drinks and he was drinking his. I didn't feel any warning signals or hostile atmosphere. I've thought a lot about this since. I thought he was just a normal guy. McGreevey was drinking. I said, 'I really have to leave, it's getting late.' He escorted me to the door and all of a sudden he said, 'I need to give you something, but it's upstairs.'

"I said, 'Okay, I'll wait,' and he said, 'No, come with me, it'll be easier.' I was innocent, I had no clue this guy had any intentions. We went to the upper level. To the right was a bedroom and to the left, a den with his office.

"He turned and pushed me with a lot of strength to the bedroom, and I was in shock. He put his hands to my chest and pushed me into the bedroom. He pushed me onto the bed and jumped on me.

"We wrestled and he stopped. And there was this moment when the two of us were in the room. And I asked him, 'Why did you think I was gay?' And he said, 'Everybody's a little bit gay.' I was very embarrassed.

"If you would have asked me, before this happened, what would I do? I would say I'd punch the guy in the mouth. But I completely froze, and I just hurried out, out of the house. I went home and I couldn't sleep."

When he saw his boss the next day, Cipel said, the only thing McGreevey said to him was, "I got rid of the liquor."

"I never thought this would happen to me," Cipel added. "I realized my whole life was in the hands of this man. He controlled the police, appointed the judges, the attorney general. I'm a new immigrant, with only a visa. I didn't know what to do."

OprahMcGreevey's account, some of which we brought to you on Friday, was a bit more florid:

"I was like a man emerging from 44 years in a cave to taste pure air for the first time, feel direct sunlight on pallid skin, warmth where there had only ever been a bone-chilling numbness...I pulled him to the bed and we made love like I'd always dreamed: a boastful, passionate, whispering, masculine kind of love."

Who do you believe? Corrupt, marriage-wrecking New Jersey politician or spurned ex-pat social climber? The truth is in there somewhere, though it's likely the only real truth the public will get out of this is that gay break-ups can be just as bitter and vindictive as straight ones.

You may have missed...
James McGreevey's Confession a Steamy Read [tr]
McGreevey and Brokeback: "Better Together" [tr]

Comments

1. Is the Gay community so desperate for idols and icons that they throw out all their common sense?

Posted by: joshua | Sep 18, 2006 10:19:19 PM

Most important question we should ask ourselves. Great question Joshua!

Posted by: Martin B. | Sep 18, 2006 10:32:07 PM

2. johnosahon

Speak from a place of intellegence, not ignorance. If you had, you would see that McGreevey was anything but a role model during his tenure as a Gov. In fact, he would have likely been thrown out of office for his backdoor activities (and I don't mean his own back door).

Brian

Posted by: brian | Sep 18, 2006 10:34:35 PM

3. I think they're both quite attractive in appearance but on the inside... both are users, opportunists, and selfish.

I agree they are not good role models and an embarassment to the gay community.

McG was forced out of the closet because of his own doings rather than proudly admitting to be gay. Apparently his political career is also going nowhere (from the looks of it) so he extends his stay in the limelight by coming out of the closet and cashing in with a book that reads (based on excerpts) like a cheap novel.

Cipel said he was "innocent". Come on who do you think you are "little Nell from the country"?

Posted by: WTF | Sep 19, 2006 5:15:23 AM

4. "[Cipel] said, 'I think it's inappropriate for you to go to a bar, you're the governor.' "

Come on! Has this guy never been to a bar in DC?

Like what, is a governor in a bar going to send the wrong message to the other bar patrons?

Complete BS.

Posted by: RP | Sep 19, 2006 10:36:20 AM

5. MIKEY D
    I was just pointing out that this guy is no shy wallflower. He was pushed into the bedroom and onto the bed? Look at Mc G, he is shorter and about the same build as the guy. Plus he could have just said stop or I'll tell your wife.

Again I think they are both idiots.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 19, 2006 2:35:17 PM

6. Just watched the Oprah interview.

McGreevey was not only the worst Govenor that New Jersey ever had, he also ranks as the most pathetic excuse for a man (straight/gay) that I've ever seen.

His story is full holes, his "truth" is politically motivated (just wait and watch) and the lack of dignity shown to his wives is unreal. Selfish son of bitch.

Worst, he uses the old standby ("my God") to try and obsolve himself on anything wrong.

Posted by: Jason B. | Sep 19, 2006 6:31:01 PM

7. After watching the Oprah interview, I felt dirty.

Afterwards, I had to take a shower to feel clean.

Posted by: Steven. | Sep 20, 2006 10:19:31 AM

8. I think Cipel was a spy. Check this account by McGreevey of their first meeting:

"One afternoon, we took a bus trip to a local arts center in Rishon Lezion, a rather featureless city just outside Tel Aviv. We were greeted there by the mayor, but it was his 32-year-old communications director, a former Israeli naval officer, who caught my eye. That's too casual a way to put it. My attraction to him was immediate and intense, and apparently reciprocated. Our eyes met over and over before we were introduced. 'This is Golan Cipel,' said the mayor. 'He is familiar with New Jersey for a number of years he worked at the Israeli Embassy in Manhattan.'

"We shook hands for a long time. 'I followed your campaign very closely,' Golan said. 'Twenty-seven thousand votes is a very narrow margin.' He went on to describe my strengths among various constituencies. I was startled by his knowledge of my campaign."

That wasn't a casual meeting. Israel's intelligence apparatus had researched McG and come up with Cipel as a classic honey trap. Every intelligence service puts their spies in embassies, and the detailed (and flattering) knowledge of McG's campaign is just a dead giveaway.

Israel does a lot of spying on the United States, and I think this is just one more example. I think they wanted their guy in the security job.

Posted by: Sny | Sep 23, 2006 8:53:10 PM