Film | Kirsten Dunst | News

Kirsten Dunst Worried About Reception for Marie Antoinette

Dunst

The movie was booed by an audience in Cannes, but Dunst thinks she has an ace up her sleeve:

"At least it'll be big with gay fans. I'm definitely in with the gays."

In with the gays? Really? From what I've heard, if she wanted in with the gays, she should have kept her grubby hands off Jake Gyllenhaal.

Comments

1. UM...EVEN GAY MEN KNOW A LOUSY MOVIE WHEN THEY SEE ONE.

Posted by: MALCOLM | Oct 12, 2006 2:22:18 PM

2. No. Especially gay men know a bad movie. Moviedar is a complementary subset of Gaydar.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 12, 2006 2:25:58 PM

3. Gay or not, I want to see this movie.

Posted by: Erik | Oct 12, 2006 2:31:54 PM

4. OMG, "moviedar," LOL. It's funny because it's true.

Posted by: Rascal | Oct 12, 2006 2:33:58 PM

5. Who the hell is Kirsten Dunst?

Is she the one that keeps blocking my view of Toby and Jake?

Nothing personal dear, but maybe you're confused about sideling up to the girl to be close to the man.

Posted by: BD | Oct 12, 2006 2:34:04 PM

6. He's older than dirt, and long out of favor, but Rex Reed can still bon a mot:

"Lavish to look at but boring, empty, irrelevant and historically sketchy enough to be a footnote, this regurgitation of the fanciful Antonia Fraser book is the hysterical work of a grown woman on hallucinogens, playing with 18th-century Barbie dolls of spun-sugar wigs, conjured up in Manolo Blahnik nightmares. Call it Gidget Goes to Versailles."

Posted by: Leland | Oct 12, 2006 2:39:19 PM

7. Leland! "Bon a mot" indeed. All is forgiven.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 12, 2006 2:55:32 PM

8. Saw the preview before The Queen this week. The movie looks fantastic. But I've been fooled by a trailer before...we'll see.

Posted by: Lano | Oct 12, 2006 3:02:20 PM

9. If she likes gays, she should be in with them. We have enough enemies.

Posted by: Anon1 | Oct 12, 2006 3:18:12 PM

10. I'm so tired of these idiot Hollywood women talking about how "the gays" just love them. In their warped, pea-sized minds, all gay men are lumped together into a pack of diva-obsessed, shoe-loving morons. Perhaps Kirsten should finish seventh grade before she undertakes any more social commentary.

Posted by: Dave | Oct 12, 2006 3:24:13 PM

11. "No. Especially gay men know a bad movie. Moviedar is a complementary subset of Gaydar."

That's pretty patently untrue. Quick, how many gay men do you know who own copies of the following:

* Steel Magnolias

* Beaches

* The Body Guard

Plus, to wit, the most recent "gay movie" that was supposed to be the homo version of American Pie? What the hell was that? No cure for AIDS, yet that crew found money to make a deeply unfunny movie?

And to defend Kiki Dunst, I don't think she meant that the gays will see this movie because she's in it. I think she meant that gays will see the movie because of the costumes and thus, because she's in that movie with the costumes, she'll by default be in with the gays.

And also because we gays have awful taste. See above.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 12, 2006 3:31:10 PM

12. um, she is so NOT in with the gays that the nice boys at pen15club.net anagram her name as "Dr. Sunken Tits". as far as _I_ know, and as Andy said, we (the aforementioned gays) loathe the woman for sucking up all the Gyllenhaal and leaving none in circulation. oh, and then dissing him in interviews for being a boring lover afterwards.

Posted by: gordon | Oct 12, 2006 3:38:04 PM

13. Such jadad queens we have here.

Anyways the movie looks interesting. I don't think it'll get good reception but something tells me the cinematography will be great.

Posted by: Damon | Oct 12, 2006 3:42:10 PM

14. As a gay man, I'm not at all interested in this chick or her career. She's dull and her hair is lifeless. Enough said.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 12, 2006 3:47:14 PM

15. Save your money. Go see "The Queen" and "Small Children." These are Oscar worthy (and $10.75 worthy) flix.

Posted by: Marvie Harvey | Oct 12, 2006 3:49:55 PM

16. I'm one gay who is excited to see Marie Antoinette!

Posted by: Riky | Oct 12, 2006 4:06:57 PM

17. Mike, speak for yourself. I don't have any of those movies, have only seen two of them, and only on TV because they happened to be on (i.e. it was far from "appointment television"). But aside from that, I think you've missed what Rudy is suggesting. It's not about what movies we own or even what we actually like, but about our slightly hightened ability to discern the likelihood of a movie's appeal because the gay sensibility is somewhat better attenuated to the cues of the media culture. We tend to be both more appreciative and simultaneously more critical of entertainment marketing and product. We just somehow tend to sense--better than our straight bretheren--whether or not a movie (regardless of whether it is to our particular taste or not) is likely to be good. We can almost always pick 'em. I predicted "Inside Man" was gonna be good from a billboard. I've never had a good feeling about "Marie Antoinette." As soon as I saw a clip of Helen Mirren in "Queen" I qued up for tickets. I feel like what we ultimately discover in reviews or in seeing the picture only serves to confirm our initial instincts. I am almost never surprised.

Posted by: Rascal | Oct 12, 2006 4:10:30 PM

18. You guys are harsh. The article she is quoted is about 4 sentences long, so the quote was possibly taken out of context. And what about Bring it On? Wasn't that a sleeper hit and a cult favorite of the gays? At any rate, Sophia Copolla is a great director and I'll go see this film. And I hate say this but being gay does not necessarily mean automatically have good taste.

Posted by: PS | Oct 12, 2006 4:24:47 PM

19. I love Kirsten Dunst for being a real actress and being in a movie called Dick.
    So back off nasty geriatric faggelas! Geesh, you people are so angry- why don't you go watch your boring Will & Grace reruns and take a nap.

Posted by: Astro | Oct 12, 2006 4:43:09 PM

20. I love Kirsten Dunst for being a real actress and being in a movie called Dick.

Posted by: Astro | Oct 12, 2006 4:43:14 PM

21. First of all...

I f*cking love Kirsten Dunst! Color me teeny bopper homo but Bring It On is my sh*t. I transcribed an interview of hers for work and she comes off very sweet in person. Altho, I do wonder where her once gorgeously huge t*ts went and she is a notorious size queen (Jake, Toby, etc). I'd rather her anyday over that Scarlett Johannsen chick (altho, she still has her huge t*ts).

Yes..I'm a big mo.

But seriously, this person was just expressing an opinion. Don't be so hard on them. If they were (justly or unjustly) offended, that's them. Who cares?

And Mike I f*cking love Steel Magnolias! Beaches and whatever, I can do without. I don't think I've acheived that level of stereotypical homo-ification yet. However, "moviedar?" Do I need to remind you that the gays were the first to jump on Reese Witherspoon's dreadful "Legally Blonde?" A movie that actually skewered us in the process of blatantly baiting us.

But then again, I agree with Marvie. Anything (sans Titanic) with the phenomenal Kate Winslet is a winner. G

Posted by: Derrick | Oct 12, 2006 5:17:15 PM

22. I'm proud to say that I fell in love with Kirsten in Bring It On! But still I don't want to see this movie

Posted by: Scott | Oct 12, 2006 5:20:43 PM

23. "And Mike I f*cking love Steel Magnolias!"

I know you do, punkin. I know you do.

And word on The Queen love. It started out stumbling for me a bit -- too much upstairs/downstairs between Blair and Elizabeth II. But I was surprised by how ultimately affecting it was, being as the concept of royalty is so foreign here.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 12, 2006 5:26:52 PM

24. yuh, yuh, yuh. thats exactly it...Even though I'm so psyched for it. I'm going with Tony.

Posted by: patrick | Oct 12, 2006 5:34:47 PM

25. I am sensing more than a little misogny in the criticsm of Kirsten's innocuous comment.

If a cute actor (Paul Rudd?)had said the same thing, we'd be seeing a whole different line of commentary.

Posted by: jmg | Oct 12, 2006 5:39:35 PM