Art and Design | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

The New York Post's Homophobic Comic Strip Not So Funny

Post_cartoon

Gawker has been great about calling out cartoonist Sean Delonas on his homophobic comics for the New York Post. The stereotyping pretty much speaks for itself. Tell the Post how you feel at letters@nypost.com or call the paper at 212-930-8000.

Post_cartoon_2

(thanks chris)

Comments

1. I am e-mailing the Post right now and I think everyone should but quite frankly, what do you expect from such a piece of shit rag.

Posted by: David | Oct 27, 2006 12:29:17 PM

2. The Post is unbelivable. Where is GLAAD in all of this? This organization is so slow to the punch every time.

Posted by: jay | Oct 27, 2006 12:37:01 PM

3. Letters to the editor are good, but also write to the advertising people. Even though NYPost runs at a loss on purpose -- it is after all a vanity publication for Rupert Murdoch -- they still may be interested in the fact that their advertisers are at risk.

Here, in one convenient list, is the entire public roster of email addresses:

psmith@nypost.com, lgazitano@nypost.com, ppurcell@nypost.com, dmckay@nypost.com, jmacchiarola@nypost.com, bfink@nypost.com, shaiman@nypost.com, classified@nypost.com, aralles@nypost.com, customerservice@nypost.com, cshaw@nypost.com, sports@nypost.com, letters@nypost.com, scuozzo@nypost.com, dcolarusso@nypost.com, fpenn@nypost.com, dlandsel@nypost.com, mshain@nypost.com, rjohnson@nypost.com, weddings@nypost.com, dating@nypost.com, dboyle@nypost.com, library@nypost.com

Posted by: Tom | Oct 27, 2006 12:38:41 PM

4. Note the subtle appearance of gerbils in both cartoons. And if you look closely at the Foley cartoon, you can see the sheep again in the bedroom.

Posted by: chrisb | Oct 27, 2006 12:39:19 PM

5. I'm on the phone right now with someone in customer service at the NY Post, I told her what I'm calling about and she thought it was extremely funny and asked me if I subscribed...I said no but that I was going to start calling the NY Post's advertisers and tell them I would not buy their products anymore if they continued to advertise in a paper that compares me to someone engaged in bestiality. Left a vm with advertising dept. saying if they keep running blatantly biggoted ads, I'm going to start calling their advertisers and boycotting.

Posted by: chicagochristianleft | Oct 27, 2006 12:47:19 PM

6. Tom,

I know it's only the Post, but do we really want to get in the habit of encouraging ad salespeople to try and dictate editorial content?

When that happens what you get results like the gay press' saturation coverage of crap like Nemesis (the douchebag singing gay twins--one's brunette, the other's blonde!--in that new Logo "reality" show).

Posted by: 24play | Oct 27, 2006 12:49:04 PM

7. Christ, how pathetic.

Fatwa anyone?

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 27, 2006 12:50:03 PM

8. I Just sent off my e-mail

I told them that I will never again pick up their paper from the news stand (never have, but they don't know that). I also stressed that I would be contacting every one of the businesses that advertise in their paper.

I think that is where we need to focus our efforts after sending off letters to the NY Post. Focus on contacting any and every business that advertises in their paper and tell them we are boycotting them till they put pressure on the NY post do what is right.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 12:59:18 PM

9. What is it with stupid straight people constantly associating gay sex with bestiality? I just don't get it. However, I will say the Foley cartoon does have a bit of truth in it. Will Foley be appearing on Oprah after his stint in rehab?

Posted by: TroyTooner | Oct 27, 2006 1:01:30 PM

10. Tom

Thanks for that added list of NY Post contacts

fpenn@nypost.com was undeliverable though

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 1:03:59 PM

11. PS

lgazitano@nypost.com
    shaiman@nypost.com

were both auto-replyed to...they will both be out of their offices till the 30th. Everyone should still e-mail them so they get a headache from a ton of e-mails when they get back from vacation

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 1:07:02 PM

12. I must say I find this about as surprising as picking up a 1939 edition of Der Sturmer and finding an anti-Jewish cartoon. More power to anyone who wants to try to influence their behavior, but this is Rupert Murdoch, and it's the NY Post. This cartoon ain't a bug, it's a feature.

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 27, 2006 1:07:33 PM

13. Jimmy boyd-I got the same 'auto-reply'. Haiman was nice enough to tell us to call her in the Hamptons if need be ;)

917-589-4229

Enjoy at will....

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:12:46 PM

14. Andrew, I didn't read it that far. Darn...LOL

Yes, let us all bug the heck out of her while she is vacationing.

^5 on catching that

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 1:13:57 PM

15. sorry 'jimmyboyo'

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:14:01 PM

16. Here's the email I sent if anyone wants to copy/paste any of this...

Dear New York Post,
    I am writing to express my disgust at the homophobic and ugly comics published in your newspaper by cartoonist Sean Delonas. These cartoons portray the most vile gay stereotype by equating homosexuality with bestiality. I find that to be horribly offensive and not remotely funny.

Sean Delonas' illustrations hearken back to the ugly era of minstrel cartoons, and I should hope that your paper would not publish images of Jim Crow characters sitting on a porch and eating watermelon.

I demand that you publish an apology and remove Sean Delonas from your employment immediately.

You can be assured that I will bring these cartoons to the attention of GLAAD and other gay rights organizations, as well as the media, and that these complaints will continue until your paper takes appropriate
    action.

Posted by: chrisb | Oct 27, 2006 1:15:23 PM

17. no problem

;-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 1:16:36 PM

18. Kudos Chris. Speaking of GLAAD-where are they? As usual, three months behind?

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:17:42 PM

19. Chris B

I like your e-mail better than what I sent off

I happen to have 3 different e-mail addresses, so I will be using your version from the other 2 address.

Thouhg I think adding in something about contacting their advertsiers would make it even better.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 1:19:41 PM

20. I just e-mailed the following note to the NY Post, though any paper owned by Rupert Murdoch would be more surprising if it didn't have such tripe in it:

To whom it may concern:

I have been observing with growing irritation the tastelessness and narrowmindedness Sean Delonas demonstrates through his homophobic illustrations. It's one thing to express a political view with humor that is biting, but his cynicism and focus on matters pertaining to sexual orientation bespeak someone whose outlook on life is limited, stuck in the past, and, above all, close-minded. To give someone with his views this kind of platform reflects badly on the judgment of the Post and risks angering a readership that is not as narrow-minded, conservative, or stuck in the past as Mr. Delonas and the editorial board of the Post must believe it is.

I hope that the voice of reason might soon prevail and that someone on your editorial board will reign him in. Otherwise, you may lose other readers like me, who, in part because of his narrow-minded views, find myself limiting my readership of the Post to copies I pick up off the subway seat next to me and occasionally buying issues for your comprehensive sports coverage. If only the NY Post were as thorough and objective in other areas of reportage and humor. Ah, but a fellow can dream, can't he?

Regards.

Mike Balaban

Posted by: Mike Balaban | Oct 27, 2006 1:20:50 PM

21. Better yet how about cc his e-mail on the one's to the post:

seandelonas@gmail.com

Posted by: wdcwoof | Oct 27, 2006 1:25:12 PM

22. ok-let's make this disclaimer-do not do anything unwell.

However, when you do complain to the Post, please make sure you also call Alex Shore at GLAAD to tell him to pay attention as well.

646-256-3304

I'm just waiting on the black SUV to pull up in my driveway....

A