Crime | New York

BigGayDeal.com

Two Men Charged in Anti-Gay Attack in Elmira, NY

ElmiraTwo men allegedly ambushed and beat a 31-year-old gay man in the town of Elmira, New York, near the New York/Pennsylvania border on Tuesday night. According to WETM Elmira, the attackers approached the man, asked if he had a lighter, and began punching him after he said he didn't.

Said the victim, who refused to be identified:

"They attacked me because I am a homosexual, and they said you're going to die tonight faggot. The one hit me in the face and I blacked out and fell on the ground, and then they started going crazy and kicking me in the face repeatedly. Knocking me around, and every time I stood up they would kick me in the face again and knock me down to the ground."

Police said Joseph Loudenslager, 20, and Justin Edwards,21 were responsible for the attack. If convicted of a hate crime, the two could spend up to four years in prison.

Comments

1. Andy, sorry this is not about your judging contests, but the only way I could figure to as you a question. For the last three days I cannot pull up your blog roll on your site. This is tragedy as yours is my default blog and I go everywhere else from there. I guess you can tell that I appreciate what you do and a day with out Towleroad is like a day without coffee.
    Peace.
    J

Posted by: J | Oct 19, 2006 9:14:59 AM

2. Attempted murder only gets you four years in prison?

Posted by: LiamOg | Oct 19, 2006 9:19:50 AM

3. That's insane that they could walk free after four years. WTF?!?

Posted by: ¡viva la graham! | Oct 19, 2006 9:23:56 AM

4. That was my reaction too. Guess they're ignoring the "you're going to die tonight" part of the assault.

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 19, 2006 9:24:12 AM

5. Frightening on many levels. I grew up in Elmira. I'm speechless.

Posted by: Midnight Lounge | Oct 19, 2006 9:30:06 AM

6. Unbelievable. You beat a man to within an inch of his life, and all you get is four years in prison, even with sentence enhancement under the crimes act? It goes to show how little the government values the lives of gays and lesbians.

Posted by: Karim | Oct 19, 2006 10:09:13 AM

7. I can't believe it. They could have killed him. What's with this wave of twenty-year-olds beating up the hell out of gay people? Hatred never looked so young. Oh, wait. We still have Jesus Camp products to look forward to.

Posted by: xavier | Oct 19, 2006 10:30:23 AM

8. Interesting that the ONLY comment that we can expect from Focus on the Anus, The American Family ASSociation, Concerned woMEN For America, The Family Research CONcil and NARTH, NONE of which EVER miss an opportunity to comment on ANYTHING related to gays, will be that ALL crimes are hate crimes and that homa-sek-shul assault victims shouldn't get any special treatment. They will make no further comment on the incident until the inevitable “gay panic” claim is made by the suspect; then they will come to the defense of the poor victim of the vicious unwanted sexual advance.

Some people may question the legitimacy of “hate crime” enhancements but they usually condemn the crime itself first. These rabidly anti-gay groups never seem to get around to that.

I have NEVER heard a representative of ANY of these groups (that claim to love and not hate gays) condemn gay bashing in general OR any specific incident of gay bashing. To the contrary, I read a statement from NARTH that actually supported the bullying of school kids, who were gender nonconforming, as a natural and proper way to encourage them to “choose” the right gender expression. How hateful and unchristian is that?

I believe that what people DON'T say often tells us more about them than what they DO say.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 19, 2006 11:14:20 AM

9. In their defense there really isn't anything else to do in Elmire.

Posted by: Kenneth | Oct 19, 2006 11:16:47 AM

10. I knew the area too and even cable TV had only about 5 channels. The lead news stories on TV in Elmira were things like missing cows. The nearest malls were in Binghamton and Syracuse. I would never call the locals "friendly" either.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 19, 2006 11:47:34 AM

11. ...so because there was no mall in town and no cable TV (both of which are not true) the victim somehow deserved to have his ass beat down? C'mon now...Think beyond your vacuous existence once in awhile.

Posted by: midnight lounge | Oct 19, 2006 1:34:44 PM

12. awesome article at a political blog on the anti-gay environment the bush administration has created "It's So 1934"

Posted by: thomas | Oct 19, 2006 3:07:41 PM

13. really weird. people in cny aren't like that. it's generally a pretty chill part of the country.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Oct 19, 2006 4:26:11 PM

14. I lived in the area for six years. There was cable TV and "stores" but I'm sure a lot of boredom too, and it doesn't excuse any crimes of course. Outside of the colleges it is not a "chill" part of the country.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 19, 2006 4:34:30 PM

15. ...and that's a MAXIMUM of 4 years? In other words, even if they're convicted, the chance of them spending more than a year or two in the slammer is probably slim. You'd probably get more for a drug violation. Who comes up with this shit?

Posted by: jed | Oct 20, 2006 2:05:02 AM

16. Interesting positioning of this story,above the previous day's "Try to scare something up" with the request to "Take a picture of yourself as a murder victim — the bloodier, the better. For those of you with "victim issues" we'll also accept photos of vampires, demons, crazed killers, and pretty much anything else — as long as it's creative, of course." Hey, I'll photoshop up a picture of me with my (real) AK 47 standing over the bullet riddled corpses of KKK, Aryan Nations,and hate preacher types. Yeah, violence _does_ solve problems.

DeathFarm