George W. Bush | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

With Stroke of the Pen, Bush Kills Habeas Corpus

Crooks & Liars has a wrap-up from Keith Olbermann on Bush's latest shameful signature, the Military Commissions Act of 2006:

Bush_bill"Today, 135 years to the day after the last American President (Ulysses S. Grant) suspended habeas corpus, President Bush signed into law the Military Commissions Act of 2006. At its worst, the legislation allows President Bush or Donald Rumsfeld to declare anyone — US citizen or not — an enemy combatant, lock them up and throw away the key without a chance to prove their innocence in a court of law. In other words, every thing the Founding Fathers fought the British empire to free themselves of was reversed and nullified with the stroke of a pen, all under the guise of the War on Terror."

Jonathan Turley, Professor of Constitutional Laws at George Washington University, lays it all out: "The Congress just gave the President despotic powers and you could hear the yawn across the country as people turned to Dancing With the Stars."

Battle brewing:

Bush: "One of the most important pieces of legislation in the war on terror."
ACLU: "One of the worst civil liberties measures ever enacted in American history."

(via virtual matter, video via wonkette)

Comments

1. I am disgusted and outraged that Bush has this authority and that Congress gave it to him!

I however live in Washington DC and have NO conregressional representation (Taxation w/o Representation), so it is up to all of you in states with Senators and Representatives to get rid of these anti-American jerks and vote in people who will overturn this travesty.

This is a dark day for America.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Oct 18, 2006 1:48:35 PM

2. Well, I'm certainly outraged, but what can we do??? I have every confidence the control of congress will be in the hands of the Democrats after November elections but what will they do? What can anybody fucking do?!? I'm tired of people making the claim that "American yawns" when there are people who care very much but dammit, we all fucking voted in 2004 and it still didn't do any goddamn good. Jesus!

Posted by: Michael W. | Oct 18, 2006 1:56:52 PM

3. The Democrats won't do anything--they helped pass this piece of rubbish legislation! My two Democratic senators, Menendez and Lautenberg, both voted for this. Menendez is up for election (he was named to the Senate by Gov. Jon Corzine) and doesn't deserve to serve a full term, but his opponent, Tom Kean, will continue to give Bush whatever he wants. So where's the difference between the parties, and what's a NJ voter supposed to do?
    Lautenberg should be ASHAMED of himself, as an American and as Jew. I guess he has forgotten the Nuremburg Laws of 1935.

Posted by: LiamOg | Oct 18, 2006 2:06:15 PM

4. Welcome to the USA, Fascist state!

Posted by: wtf | Oct 18, 2006 2:11:30 PM

5. And now, folks: Be very afraid.

Posted by: JT | Oct 18, 2006 2:11:40 PM

6. We should all fly US flags upside down in protest.

Posted by: LiamOg | Oct 18, 2006 2:21:51 PM

7. The Republican’s have stated the gay marriage is a bigger threat to America than the terrorist. I believe there are gay married couples in Massachusetts that should be concerned about the GOP’s enemies list.

Posted by: The_Jaded_Bitter_Bitch | Oct 18, 2006 2:23:50 PM

8. Liamog

yeah 34 dem house reps and a few dem senators all voted for this piece of crap

We have NO assurance that dems will take enough seats to override bush....majority control might not be enough votes.

BUT!! There is hope. lawyers for 20 detaines at quantanimo filed appeals to go all the way to the supreme court after congress passed it but before bush signed it

The supremes is where it can and will be stopped. Remember , this bill came about because the Supremes rejected bush's earlier stance that he could do all that the bill said without it being a written law (he had already been doing it), and the supremes rejected that. bush and rove think that having it written into law will let it fly......but unconstitutional is unconstitutional

Have hope in the Supreme court, especialy since bush has not stacked the court completly in his favor yet (and if dems take control of congress then he won't ever be able to stack the court in his favor)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 18, 2006 2:25:39 PM

9. Well, this is going back into the federal courts. The law was in response to the Hamdan ruling by the SC that detainees needed some judicial oversight. There will probably be an injunction issued by one federal court or another.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 18, 2006 2:28:04 PM

10. Simple Solution: Vote Democrat
    Then Watch: The "First 100 Hours" ...

Democrats will...
    [] reinstate the Bill of Rights
    [] properly fund our Public Schools
    [] delete Big Oil's tax-breaks
    [] close US/CIA Torture Centers
    [] declasify many, many, "vital documents"

Or, you can not vote, party/shop, and let the Christian-FarRight do the deciding for you in one more national election.

rob@egoz.org

Posted by: rob adams | Oct 18, 2006 2:31:16 PM

11. The problem with those suits by the detainees is that it is not clear that they now have standing.

The law can also be read that the law takes away their rights to sue the Gov't.

Bush can drive down Connecticut Ave and point out people in the street and have them locked up and they have NONE, ZERO, ZILCH recourse.

We should be rioting in the streets!!!!!!

Posted by: dc-20008 | Oct 18, 2006 2:46:36 PM

12. Years ago, some gay bashers emerged from the bushes where they'd been hiding and attacked me and some friends, and, even after I'd been knocked to the ground by some kind of club, my mind, while I was looking up at one of them trying to hit me again, even though I was well aware of such things, kept spinning, "What just happened COULDN'T have just happened! There MUST be some other explanation!"

Repeatedly since he even won the GOP nomination in 2000, I've been experiencing the same kind of cognitive dissonance. And, thinking with each demonstration of his incompetence; with each instance of his exploiting the worst in people to gain and retain power; with each twist and turn of his verbal and legalitic gay bashing; with each new casuality report from Iraq; each new revelation of its insane conception and execution; with each new book filled with documentation of lies and deceptions and malfeasance; with each drop in his approval polls—I've thought: "THIS time Americans will see through the charade. THIS time Americans will see him for what he really is and is not; THIS time America will stand up, if not for gay Americans, at least for their sons and daughters being slaughtered in Iraq; for the 14,000 being held by our government without habeas corpus in prisons around the world; at least for the eight million children in the US without health insurance. But, no, the nightmare continues and I can't wake up.

If years from now, "Science" magazine has an article about a mysterious substance that was found in the municipal water supplies across the country that appeared able to "sedate" large percentages of the population, I would TOTALLY believe it.

Posted by: Leland | Oct 18, 2006 2:48:21 PM

13. Well, all i know is that the week leading up to the congressional vote on this crap....I posted quite a few rants on here 9as well as other places) about it , what was happening, what it meant, etc

Pretty much I was considered crazy

I am more than happy to hear others now getting upset, but pardon me for 1 moment of I warned and posted about this crap coming down and that you all should have called your congressional reps

-------------------

Ok, that said

We need to make sure we vote dem, we get others to vote dem, we drive little old ladys who like to vote dem to the polls

Donate time and or money to such groups as the ACLU

and pray that the supreme court does something (this coming from an atheist)

Oh and organize some protests (but make sure they don't arrest yiou because we might never hear from you again)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 18, 2006 2:54:29 PM

14. sorry for my typos

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 18, 2006 2:56:09 PM

15. I asked my co-worker and she laughed and said, "oh it will get overturned." WHAT??? There is no guarantee of that!!

I asked my partner--a teacher--if they are discussing it in school. He said no one had.

Like Elie Weisel said, "...and when they came for me there was no one left..."

Posted by: dc-20008 | Oct 18, 2006 3:10:17 PM

16. When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

Pastor Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller

Posted by: David | Oct 18, 2006 3:28:04 PM

17. Thanks for the correction.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Oct 18, 2006 3:38:35 PM

18. You know - that's just one attribution. There is some uncertainty as to the actual provenance of the sentiment. I just wanted to echo your statement - as it occurred to me when the bill was signed.

I agree with Leland. When am I going to wake up?

Posted by: David | Oct 18, 2006 3:42:10 PM

19. Well I agree with one thing Rob Adams said..."you can not vote, party/shop, and let the Christian-FarRight do the deciding for you in one more national election." If ALL gays, IN BOTH PARTIES, voted it would be a different world. WE tend to stay home, shop, party, etc. on election day though! 2% of us actually make it to the polls...pathetic to say the least!

Posted by: RB | Oct 18, 2006 4:16:14 PM

20. I have this recurring nightmare that he is going to decide that the "war on terror" is too important to be left to a successor and that he's going to try to stop the 2008 elections. Why not, really, if the Constitution carries so little weight with him?

Posted by: JT | Oct 18, 2006 4:23:14 PM

21. I think our civil liberties have been so horribly abused over the past 6 years that this is just nothing new in the "war on terror" that Bush and crew has seemed to propogandize for the red state sect. I don't think most rational people know what they can do anymore...certainly not oust this crew of liars and thieves.

Posted by: adam | Oct 18, 2006 4:31:45 PM

22. I don't understand what you are all afraid of. Do you really think that Bush is going to drive by you, point you out and have you arrested? Why should a terrorist have any rights at all? This isn't aimed at you and me walking down the street. If you aren't doing anything wrong, then go on with your liberal life.

Would you rather have a terrorist blow you up?

Frankly I sort of like living in the fascist state, then the bleedin' liberals can't screw up everything the Republicans try to do which is for the safety of us all.

VOTE REPUBLICAN

Posted by: Richard | Oct 18, 2006 4:58:12 PM

23. Oh, Richard, I haven't seen anything from you for quite a while on Towleroad and I was beginning to think things were looking up for you. I'm sorry you've stopped taking your meds. You're in my thoughts.

Posted by: JT | Oct 18, 2006 5:19:04 PM

24. Richard

Let me guess

You used to be a comisar back in the sioviet union before it crumbeled.......

Bush makes you all hot and sweaty because you are reminded of your glorious youth of goose stepping , turning in family members to the secret police, torturing little old ladys who question the great leader, etc

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 18, 2006 5:48:29 PM

25. Richard,

Please do not worry yourself with the above responses, as I am sure that you will not. I have become accustomed to the name calling. It is very becoming of our peers here, but I agree with you in theory. No one in the Bush administration is worried with you and I. Sadly enough, we are TOO BORING!

When you are worried about true national security you are not looking for who is gay. Bush could care less what we write or WHAT WE ARE! He is looking out for our ability to continue to post here because we are still alive.

Anyway, I believe in the republican party and vote repub...but I voice my opinion on gay rights. Not only do I show up at the polls as many gays DO NOT, I voice my opinion on my rights as a gay man and a parent.

Vote republican, I don't care. VOTE AT ALL...I CARE! WE DO NOT SHOW UP AT THE POLLS! Going forward, if you do not vote I will not care. In the interum, nice post Richard!

Posted by: RB | Oct 18, 2006 7:24:26 PM