Daniel Craig | Film | News

Daniel Craig: Hottest Bond Ever?

Daniel_craig_shirtless_2

What a slab. The Guardian has a great piece on the new, buffed up James Bond:

"...Craig has made himself iconic in the most familiar way. He is simply demonically sexy. The frame of the movie where he emerges from the sea in those clinging trunks is so scorchingly hot I feel embarrassed watching it, even when alone. It has been used as the key piece of pre-publicity on the movie, and with good reason. Good film directors recognise gold dust when they see it. This is the kind of image that even straight men can't peel their eyes from...The traditional term for all this is 'homo-erotica'. But that's not quite right here. Craig in his swimming trunks has cemented the emergence of a new type of adoration of the male form. This is hetero-erotic, too."

Daniel Craig's gay appeal has to have been helped by his role in the recent Truman Capote biopic Infamous (even though he played a killer) in which he planted a kiss on the lips of Brit actor Toby Jones. And a recent quote from his Bond co-star Judi Dench certainly hasn't hurt. Said Dench of Craig's sizable appendage: "It's an absolute monster! Maybe I shouldn't have said that. How uncouth of me!"

Casino Royale is certainly the first Bond movie I've looked forward to in quite some time.

Daniel_craig

You may have missed...
Toby Jones and Daniel Craig's Infamous Kiss [tr]
Daniel Craig: Gays on Board with New Bond [tr]

Comments

1. OMG, DC is in the hizzouse! HOLLA

Posted by: RJ | Nov 17, 2006 4:27:27 PM

2. Yum. Slurp. I think my desk is rising beneath me.

Posted by: jjabely | Nov 17, 2006 4:34:17 PM

3. Oh, dear Lord. You're kidding. Put a paper bag over his whole body. Ugh.

Posted by: zaard | Nov 17, 2006 4:43:14 PM

4. Are there any other Buffy fans...beside me...who are thinking of Andrew, Warren and Jonathon debating who was the best Bond? That was one of the best homoments on television!

Posted by: JT | Nov 17, 2006 4:47:34 PM

5. Dear Huh?

I live in Los Angeles. I doubt Daniel Craig would ever turn heads in my gym.

xo
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 17, 2006 4:47:53 PM

6. Daniel Craig is certainly an improvement over Pierce (afraid play bi-sexual) Brosnan. Craig sheds the frail English effete of Brosnan’s Bond and brings back the sex smolder of man’s man Sean Connery.

Posted by: ggreen | Nov 17, 2006 4:48:20 PM

7. JT - I'm right there with you. "Timothy Dalton should win and Oscar and beat Sean Connery over the head with it!"

I never was a fan of Bond, but Daniel Craig is a great actor and he does fill a swimming costume nicely... I could be convinced.

Posted by: Ren B. | Nov 17, 2006 5:00:31 PM

8. Most people think of James Bond as a movie character these days but if you go back to the books Craig seems (from the trailer at least) far closer to Fleming's conception of a steel-eyed killer than the debonair clothes-horse he turned into. The fact that he looks damned hot is a big plus! He can act as well, which is more than can be said for Vin Diesel and co.

Posted by: John C | Nov 17, 2006 5:04:30 PM

9. Look Leland... I know about you from reading here. Girl... I will pull your hair--don't even start with me. I'm chocolate black, proud of it, and have true friends every shade of the rainbow. White boys have big dicks, Latin boys have big dicks, Black boys have big dicks, Native American boys have big dicks. You'll get your panties in a twist if I exclude Asian boys... but it is what it is. My experience is, on average, black boys have the biggest winkies. So what... Now respond with your five paragraphs.

Posted by: CaliNexus | Nov 17, 2006 5:55:35 PM

10. Someone is using my name. I did not say this:
    "Yeah, the chest and arms are all fine and good, but why is no one commenting on his stomach? Those abs .. and that treasure trail. It's unreal."

When James Bond has sex with a man and likes it, then I'll be interested.

Posted by: Jake | Nov 17, 2006 5:57:16 PM

11. Calinexus: Leland was clearly never in the Army. Forgive him. As far as Mr. Craig trying to recapture Ian Fleming's vision of Bond, I'll have to wait until seeing the film. Timothy Dalton did a pretty good job capturing the almost joyous killer that is Bond, but I think we're going to see Mr. Craig giving the progression of Bond from the unhesitating killer to the suave killer...who looks awesome in tight swim trunks! Damn, I keep coming back to this picture! Thanks Andy.

Posted by: JT | Nov 17, 2006 6:49:26 PM

12. Yes, because you are clearly the only other Jake in the world and that other Jake was clearly trying to impersonate you and sully your online rep.

Fucktard.

Posted by: jake | Nov 17, 2006 6:57:56 PM

13. Well, which EVER of you Jakes is waiting for James Bond to have sex with a man and like it,
    your wait may be a short one because in next year's installment, he has a homoerotic relationship with Jeffrey Wright's character, Felix Leiter.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 17, 2006 10:28:00 PM

14. Soulbrotha, thanks! I'll be waiting. I hope it's full on sex too. Well not full, just having them naked and rolling around loving each other. I hope Jeffrey puts some muscle on in the meantime it will make more enjoyable for me.

Posted by: Jake | Nov 17, 2006 10:57:43 PM

15. I just came from seeing the latest Bond movie. I felt exactly the same looking at Mr. Craig now than the first time I saw a Bond movie with Sean Connery many years ago: giddy and very much aware that I really like men. And the sight of him tied to a chair (naked) is going to stay with me until I can see this movie again. And then I'll get the DVD. Lucky Judi Dench. Totally envy her.

Posted by: xavier | Nov 17, 2006 11:10:22 PM

16. Hi i just read the article about Bond's gay experience in the last film slated for release next year.

It says Jeffrey Wright will play the part of love interest. Is this the same Jeffrey Wright from Angels in America? If so...is anyone else dissapointed?

I was living in hope that maybe DC might have an 'experience' with someone as equally hunky...and sorry but to me Jeffrey Wright doesn't even come close!

Posted by: steve | Nov 18, 2006 2:53:02 AM

17. Yeah, Steve, that's the one. He plays Felix Leiter in Casino Royale as well. It doesn't matter though - they ain't gonna risk the franchise. They just talked it up to appeal to Daniel Craig's gay fans. I highly doubt anything will come of this.

Posted by: EireKev | Nov 18, 2006 6:45:11 AM

18. It's a sign of our times when the iconic shot in Casino Royale is Craig emerging from the water in a skimpy bathing suit. Decades ago in "Dr. No" it was Ursula Andress setting the sexual iconic standard. Welcome to the 21st Century.

I knew DC wouldn't appeal to all gay men (or women). After all he certainly isn't "Pretty". But I'll take sex appeal over "pretty" anyday. "Pretty" looks good on your arm and in pictures and in a Tux but "sexy" is way more fun in bed.

I think DC is immensely sexy and more than a few men and women would agree.

Posted by: mark m | Nov 18, 2006 11:49:06 AM

19. I saw the movie last night and it is the best Bond movie I have ever seen. I am not normally a big Bond fan; I find them pretty cheesy and can't take them seriously. But Daniel Craig is fantastic; he is absolutely credible and plays it for real rather than as some suave fantasy gliding effortlessly through the action-packed "narrative". He IS very sexy - its not just about looks - its about presence and charisma and he has it. And he can really act.

Posted by: brainiac_amour | Nov 19, 2006 5:28:05 AM

20. Definately gets my vote. His appeal isn't written on his face, it's in the way he handles himself. Truly a man's man!

Posted by: Brad | Nov 19, 2006 9:49:15 AM

21. Only one gripe. There is nothing I find less attractive than a man who's over 35 years old and has no chest hair. Completely turns me off when I man has no chest hair.

Posted by: Bart | Nov 19, 2006 9:52:27 AM

22. more towleroad quasi-erotica. brawn not brains rules again.

Posted by: will | Nov 19, 2006 7:40:55 PM

23. Contrary to what one of the posters here said, Craig's Bond IS a metrosexual, at least according to Mark Simpson, the guy who actually coined the word and who predicted in OUT magazine some time ago that Craig would be a success in the role, representing a return to the sex-object promise of the original Bond, Sean Connery.

Having seen the film I can say he's absolutely right: Craig is a sex-object and has, as he says, 'become his own Bond Girl'.

Posted by: BigBear | Nov 20, 2006 10:00:19 AM

24. Um, torture is considered sexy? America really has fallen off of the deep end.

Posted by: Gary | Nov 20, 2006 4:34:41 PM

25. He is the best of Bonds for the way he does his stunts and the all actor he is, I love him, he is the hottest Bond ever! Give me more.

Posted by: Leila Rivers | Mar 30, 2009 9:28:34 PM