Ken Mehlman | Mel Martinez | Republican Party

Mel Martinez to Replace Ken Mehlman as RNC Chairman

Martinez_1Florida Senator Mel Martinez is set to replace outgoing chair Ken Mehlman as head of the Republican National Committee at the end of January.

Among Martinez' recent accomplishments, the Florida Senator's office was the source of the Terri Schiavo "talking points" memo, which his legal counsel drew up, detailing the political advantages to Republicans of intervening in that case. Martinez, of course, supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, and expressed his belief in June 2006 that it shouldn't be left up to the states: "It isn't good enough to say, 'Leave it up to the states.'...If we leave it up to the states we will see the erosion of marriage that we've seen by activist courts, which we otherwise will not see if we protect the institution of marriage at the federal level."

Ken Mehlman to Step Down from RNC Post [tr]

Comments

1. Great, one asshat down and another one sprouts right back up. It's like a weed, unless you kill the roots more come... or maybe more like roaches... I forget...

Posted by: Cory | Nov 13, 2006 4:26:53 PM

2. I think this might be one case where outing a high profile gay ended up hurting us by replacing him with right-wink nut job. I have to hope that Ken was doing what he could to steer the GOP away from the gay bashing, as ineffective as he was.

Posted by: Ladd | Nov 13, 2006 4:28:02 PM

3. any why do they always look constipated? Democrats in general seem happier (although all politicians can bite me for all I care), Republikkklans always look like the three year old who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas, in this case a new congress...

Posted by: Cory | Nov 13, 2006 4:28:41 PM

4. Well, all the hate the Republicans touted this year didn't help them any. So if Mel Martinez wants to bang his drum against stem cell research, call for bans on all abortions, etc., the Republicans may find themselves not only in the minority in Congress but without the White House too. If they were wise, they would have found a moderate. But then again, wise is not a word I'd use to describe Republicans.

Posted by: Larry | Nov 13, 2006 4:34:15 PM

5. Don't worry, in two years, we will just out the meth-taking, boy-touching guys in his office and he'll wind up being a net plus for democracy.

My God, who knew that the self-hating Log Cabin Republicans would be such a blessing in disguise?

Posted by: bambambam | Nov 13, 2006 4:48:33 PM

6. Bring me Ken Mehlman's head. I'll stop believing he wasn't doing a single, goddamn thing to offset his homohysterical masters when I see videotape notarized by God!

Even IF he tried, he failed miserably, so his dethroning means nothing to us except the pleasure in seeing someone who buttered his own bread at the expense of his gay brothers and sister turned to TOAST.

The shameless exploitation of Terri Shiavo was one of their biggest blunders in a land filled with aging voters concerned about their own freedom of medical choice and, I'm convinced, one of the earlier nails in the Repugs' coffin. Perhaps six months ago I would have shuddered at the appointment of someone like Mel to this position, but there's every reason to believe that, in the changed climate, it will only lengthen the Repugs' wilderness exile. The consensus among political pundits in the shows I watched Sunday, including Repug sympathizers, was that, barring major screwups by the Dems, Mel and this fellow theocratic thugs would be out of it until at least 2010. Pass the champagne, please.

Posted by: Leland | Nov 13, 2006 5:17:29 PM

7. Why is everyone acting like Mehlman is ACTUALLY gay? I've seen no proof. Also if he were gay, I highly doubt the high ups in the Repub party were unaware. I think him stepping down and his so-called "outing" are unrelated.

Posted by: Je | Nov 13, 2006 5:44:25 PM

8. Ok, PROBABLY unrelated.

Posted by: Je | Nov 13, 2006 5:45:39 PM

9. BRING IN THE ILLEGALS!!!! That's what Martinez's main plan is. Every person on the planet is going to move here. The US is going to turn to shit in several decades. In my area it's already falling apart.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 13, 2006 5:54:41 PM

10. JE give me some examples that Ken Melhman is not gay. I want videoes, love letters (real ones), photos of his girlfriends (and I don't mean gay male guuuuuuuuurlfriends!)

Ken Melhman is gay as a goose.

End of story.

Meanwhile, the RNC just put another nail on their coffin with Mel's appt. They don't get it. But they will as their GOP party gets smaller and smaller ... and then they lose the Congress/Senate once again in 2008 as well as the presidency!

Posted by: FunMe | Nov 13, 2006 6:42:01 PM

11. geese aren't gay. but mehlman is and has a face only a mother could love.

Posted by: markie | Nov 13, 2006 8:06:35 PM

12. these queens must be so proud!

Posted by: rick | Nov 13, 2006 9:07:21 PM

13. I'm betting the last nail goes in the Democrat's coffin first.....

Posted by: Janice Sanford | Nov 14, 2006 1:43:09 AM