AIDS/HIV | Carol Channing | Gay Marriage | Gay-Straight Alliances | London | Mexico | Mexico City | New York | News | Pennsylvania | Pittsburgh | Robbie Williams | Tom Cruise

BigGayDeal.com

News: Franco Zeffirelli, Mexico, 'Fag' Students, London HIV Stats

road.jpg Conservative party in Mexico considering filing challenge to Mexico City's new gay union law, saying it violates rules in that country's constitution which protect the family. "City legal counsel Maria Estela Rios, however, called the argument 'absurd' because the law guarantees legal rights for same-sex couples, but does not legalize gay marriage."

Scherfelroad.jpg Pittsburgh area school board Vice President William Scherfel refers to students in gay-straight alliance as "fags".

road.jpg Not funny: Seinfeld's Michael Richards spews racist tirade at the Laugh Factory.

road.jpg What will happen in the next 50 years? More than 70 scientists offer their forecasts.

road.jpg Carol Channing gets the last word in on the interview that tried to crush her gay-friendly reputation.

road.jpg New York's HX acquires Boston's In Newsweekly.

road.jpg Robbie Williams says he'd have sex with a man to save an animal's life: "I wouldn't enjoy it but I could do it under pain of death, or if it meant saving a baby bunny from being burned alive." I'd be willing to bet he's saved a few rabbits already.

Zeffirelliroad.jpg Director Franco Zeffirelli said that a priest put the moves on him as a boy, in Catholic school, but it seems he quite enjoyed it: "Sexual abuse is putting it too strongly. There was no penetration. I felt sorry for the poor man. If I had realised what he had in mind, I would probably have given him what he wanted. I thought the priest felt a special affection for me, he was always kissing me. (Homosexual experiences) are not always bad for boys. I don't think they make you homosexual. Sexual choice is made for you early on in life anyway - if you like girls, you like girls."

road.jpg Tom and Katie's Cruiseazy wedding photo.

road.jpg One out of every ten gay men in London is HIV positive as is one out of every 25 across the UK, according to a new report.

Comments

1. Now it will be interesting to see if those people who said that, had the "n word" been used in the Grey's Anatomy incident, a more public reprobation would result. I'm going to bet that this is forgotten after a bit of abject groveling, just like Mr. Gibson appears to be back on track after his lapse. I guess I'm a pessimist.

Posted by: JT | Nov 20, 2006 11:48:12 AM

2. JT

I don't blame you for being a pessimist but I disagree with this one. Richards did not say it on the side to a few people, but on stage, and over and over. I was happy to see several people getting up and leaving, I only wish that they all did.

Not sure when this happened but you know all the entertainment shows are going to eat this up and every celebrity will be asked to voice an opinion on it. Too bad Richards does not have too far to fall, as the man who took him on said, he's a has been.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 20, 2006 12:27:38 PM

3. Patrick: I hope you're right. This whole thing shows that he's not a good actor...he played a loser on the TV show, he was just playing himself.

Posted by: JT | Nov 20, 2006 12:33:40 PM

4. Would someone please choke Robbie Williams to death with their cock? I'm serious.

Posted by: Leland | Nov 20, 2006 12:41:22 PM

5. Michael Richards says the "N" word during a performance and everyone is up in arms.

Carlos Mencia says "faggot" MANY times during his stand-up show (currently on tour) and no one bats an eye.

Just saying.

Posted by: jeff | Nov 20, 2006 1:08:10 PM

6. On Richards:
    When an actor who is wholly identified with a lovable character does something this vile, it is major. I am very interested to see how this plays out as well. I don't think it's going to go away quietly, because Seinfeld is still an insanely popular show, even in syndication.

On Williams:
    And kudos to you Leland. I don't understand why that closet case gets so much media attention. His music is as tired as he is. Almost.

On Zeferelli:
    Is this man the president of NAMBLA or something?

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 20, 2006 1:12:48 PM

7. Jeff,

Obviously you did NOT watch the video clip. This was NOT a part of his stand up! What he said was "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a fucking pitchfork up your ass....Throw his ass out! He's a nigger! He's a nigger! He's a nigger!" He was addressing hecklers in the crowd, who simply said that he was not funny. It was a racist attack, not comedy. Don't get it twisted, Boo.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 20, 2006 1:20:46 PM

8. According to 'Withnail and I' director Bruce Robinson, Zefferelli was prone to priestly fumblings of his own when Robinson was a young actor in 'Romeo and Juliet'.

Posted by: John C | Nov 20, 2006 1:55:04 PM

9. Actually Jeff, it wasn't part of the performance. He was upset that some people were heckling him, so he started cursing them out. He went on to tell them that if it was 50 years ago, he would hang them from a tree. Saying it as part of a performance is a lot different from the context that he delivered this tirade.

Posted by: Cadence | Nov 20, 2006 2:00:13 PM

10. I called the Ambridge Area High School (google it and you'll get the information) and spoke with the sponsor of the school's Gay/Straight Alliance. I'm buying the group a pizza party for being cool enough to be in the group (take *that* Mr. Scherfel).

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 20, 2006 2:31:50 PM

11. right.. because saying "nigger" and "faggot" in context is appropriate. Thanks for the clarification.

Posted by: nyc2 | Nov 20, 2006 2:33:05 PM

12. NYC2, neither is appropriate, but Richards' iontent was clearly different from Mencia's or most comedians who use either word. I don't think it's right, but most people ignore commedians who use either word in the context of a performance, but this was clearly an attack on a group of people.

Posted by: Cadence | Nov 20, 2006 2:38:09 PM

13. Gee Cadence, I wish I had said that. ;)

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 20, 2006 2:42:07 PM

14. I am APPALLED at Michael Richards. I just took a study break and watched the video and my jaw dropped. DROPPED. It is uncalled for that anyone use any derogatory slang (n*****, F**, etc.) but what he did, wow. wow....

As for Carol Channing, I want to say just this. To everyone that was so quick to judge her and throw her to the wolves, shame on you. SHAME ON YOU. People are so quick to assume, judge, speculate and destroy another human being, that the gay community completely alienated a woman who has done a lot of good through charity events and personal challenges in advancing the gay community. SHAME ON YOU.

Posted by: Cory | Nov 20, 2006 2:48:32 PM

15. NYC2, why are you trippin'?
    How can you compare a off-color joke to an outright verbal attack? It's not the same thing. Does that really have to be explained here?

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 20, 2006 2:52:45 PM

16. Bravo for you PeterParker!!!!!! :-) Could you please e-mail me the sponsor's name? I sent money in 2003 to the little GSA group at Boyd County High School in Kentucky whose creation sparked a huge school walk-out, "religious" rallies, and an ACLU lawsuit on their behalf. Despite winning, the school was still refusing to fully cooperate as of the end of last year.

As for Richards: who—other than closet lez Jodie Foster—was genuinely surprised by Gibson's anti-Semitic tirade, but this shocks. And I don't believe either's "repentance."

Posted by: Leland | Nov 20, 2006 3:20:21 PM

17. >>As for Carol Channing, I want to say just this. To everyone that was so quick to judge her and throw her to the wolves, shame on you. SHAME ON YOU. People are so quick to assume, judge, speculate and destroy another human being, that the gay community completely alienated a woman who has done a lot of good through charity events and personal challenges in advancing the gay community.<<

Uh, why???

Her statement doesn't even mention the gay community. She doesn't apologize or affirm her support. In fact, she quotes the Bible again. To me, this only confirms that she DID say what she was quoted as saying, and she in fact DOESN'T give a shit about us. Only when it trickled through her petrified brain that pissing off her "core constituency" might hurt ticket sales, did she issue this non-apology.

Fuck her.

Posted by: nuflux | Nov 20, 2006 5:47:04 PM

18. I guess you didn't read the same article, NUFLUX. Here you go, it might open your eyes:

Channing: I never said that! I've never read anything in the Bible about being gay or at least I haven't read that part. But, it is true that I don't think about them in that way. They are gay. Who cares? The Bible says “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” I don't recognize differences except their goodness and artistic abilities, which I always admire.

IN: So what DO you think of gay people?

Channing: Again. I don't think about them as gay. They're people, period.

IN: The reporter supposedly said “I read that you have fought for gay rights. Do you think that the things gay people are fighting for are important?” And you supposedly said “I don't think about it. If they can't take care of their own problems, why should I bother? It's not my problem.”

Channing: I didn't say it like that. I'm angry that I have to even answer questions like these and I shouldn't have to. I think my record speaks for itself. I've always been supportive to the gay community and I have found they are capable of taking care of themselves. I told him, that not being gay, it hasn't been a problem I've had to live with myself.

Posted by: Cory | Nov 20, 2006 8:34:26 PM

19. This "clarification" on Channing's part is not doing much for me either.

Posted by: jmg | Nov 20, 2006 8:53:54 PM

20. what do you guys want her to do? get up and start sucking some gay guys off? seriously. why should she even apologize in the first place? The REPORTER is the one who should be apologizing, but oddly he hasn't said much has he? Instead, he twists the words of an 85 year-old woman, putting her in the hotseat and runs bitch. Basically, she saying gay men have always been just MEN, she doesn't view them as straight or gay but rather that people are people. PERIOD. As she said, she has always been supportive of the gay community, she performs in tons of AIDS charities - hell, even the pic Andy used was from an AIDS hospice event in San Francisco she performed in....

Honestly, I think some of you are just looking for someone to tear down. How sad that instead of some headline grabbing celebrity it's an 85 year-old performer with a positive and supportive background to the gay community. Hate is blinding and easy, seeing things objectively and clearly with love and understanding, that's much more difficult...

Posted by: Cory | Nov 20, 2006 9:14:53 PM

21. Oooh...Carol Channing performing fellatio on a gay man. Could Liza be there, too?

Posted by: jmg | Nov 20, 2006 9:25:09 PM

22. lol ;)

Posted by: Cory | Nov 20, 2006 9:28:15 PM

23. Isn't Carol Channing Susan Lucci's mom? Someone told me that once. If that's true, the only thing gayer is Liza and Judy. Right?

Posted by: Derrick | Nov 21, 2006 10:08:58 AM

24. ..and SHAME on William Scherfel. He's supposed to be a place of leadership for all the children in his district, not just the ones he approves of. If he goes around using defamatory words, it just makes it look OK for the kids to do the same thing. SHAME ON HIM.

In fact, lemme get in my car and go pay him a little visit. Pitt is NOT that far away. Imma get my tire iron and go teach that bigot motherf**** some manners for the 21st century.

...or I'll just write a letter.

Posted by: Derrick | Nov 21, 2006 10:12:10 AM