Fabio Cannavaro | Football | Italy | News | Sportrait | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Sportrait: Fabio Cannavaro

Fabiocannavaro_1

Italian footballer Fabio Cannavaro was awarded the Golden Ball yesterday, given to Europe's best player. Said Fabio: "This is a double honor. It is given to the best player, and the fact I am a defender makes it even more special." It was the first award for a defender in more than 10 years.

Fabio2Fabio3Fabio4_1

You may remember him from D&G's underwear campaign featuring Cannavaro and a selection of his stunning teammates. His football skills aren't his only assets.

Fabiored

More shots after the jump...

Giuseppe di Virgilio, a Neapolitan artist who normally does statuettes for nativity scenes, sculpted a special tribute to Cannavaro.

Fabiostatue Fabiostatue2

The sculptural qualities of Cannavaro, however, have been admired for some time.

Fabio5

Fabio6 Fabio7 Fabio8

You may have missed...
Sportrait: Italian Footballers [tr]
Sportrait: David Wright and Jose Reyes [tr]
Sportrait: Gavin Henson [tr]
Video Sportrait: Alexandre Despatie [tr]
Sportrait: Wayne Rooney [tr]

Comments

1. Now that's a man!

Posted by: Brit | Nov 28, 2006 2:48:08 PM

2. What's you going to do with all that junk, all that junk inside your trunk?

I'll tell you what I'd like to do with all his junk. Damn!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Steve | Nov 28, 2006 2:49:49 PM

3. seems to be a little full of himself, that being said I would not throw him out of bed :roll:

Posted by: tasty | Nov 28, 2006 3:12:21 PM

4. Andy...I love your 'Sportrait' sections...jocks are hot, especially when they look like Brady Quinn, Robby Ginepri, Cooper Cronk and Geoffroy Messina...and I could never, ever get enough of David Beckham...but how about showcasing some hot, out, queer jocks like Graham Ackerman or Mark Tewksbury?

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 28, 2006 3:12:36 PM

5. Mmmmm. Tasty.. Aussi beau par derrière que par devant!

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 28, 2006 3:27:59 PM

6. Posted by: peterparker | Nov 28, 2006 3:12:36 PM

I totally agree Peter!

Posted by: dlp | Nov 28, 2006 3:32:35 PM

7. oh my ass! That booty is soooo nice.

Posted by: Greggie | Nov 28, 2006 4:33:37 PM

8. Yummy, yummy, yummy, want his cum in my tummy! ;)

Posted by: jjabely | Nov 28, 2006 4:50:10 PM

9. He makes me proud to be a defenseman. Plain and simple.

Posted by: Becks07 | Nov 28, 2006 5:33:07 PM

10. Why we must admire him if he really does not like to be admired by gays? What he was thinking while he accepted DG's requests?

Posted by: Anonimous1320 | Nov 28, 2006 5:41:57 PM

11. Anonimous1320,

He was thinking $$$, i mean £££, i mean €€€

Posted by: NOT FOR YOU | Nov 28, 2006 6:02:31 PM

12. How do you know he does not like to be admired by gays? There was a suggestion he might be a fascist in a previous thread BUT that was apparently di Canio, not the (extremely hot) Cannavaro.

Posted by: EireKev | Nov 28, 2006 6:11:18 PM

13. There's an interview here (quotes in Spanish, can't find the original in Italian, but the Spanish is quite clear)where he says both that he doesn't want to be admired by gays, and that he wouldn't want to play on the same team as a gay man. So yeah, he's hot, but his an ass.

Posted by: Dan | Nov 28, 2006 10:04:58 PM

14. Er I mean he's an ass. That almost qualifies for a Freudian slip, I think!

Posted by: DAN | Nov 28, 2006 10:06:05 PM

15. What ass? They simply shot this boy at the right angle. You'd think he's the Venus Hottentot around here.

Posted by: 000000 | Nov 29, 2006 1:14:51 AM

16. baby got back, and that is what they call a 'soccer body'... droolio.

Posted by: stony_curtis | Nov 29, 2006 1:54:55 AM

17. Although I doubt my Spanish is good enough (yet!) to be able to understand that link, Dan, I couldn't get to it anyway. Everybody if you're posting a long link please split it up in two or three cos it just gets cut off here.

Posted by: EireKev | Nov 29, 2006 5:18:38 AM

18. Odd. The full link shows on my screen broken into two lines.

In any case, the key quotes are:

"No me agrada eso de que me elijan como ícono de la comunidad homosexual".

Roughly translated, that's "I'm not happy to have been chosen as a gay icon".

And:

"Convivir con compañeros gays puede traer problemas y provocar situaciones embarazosas"

Which is basically saying that working with gay teammates could "bring problems" and "provoke embarassing situations". He then goes on to talk about how they all walk around nekkid in the locker room, and presumably he doesn't want gay men ogling him. So I've decided not to ogle him; though he's got quite an ass, he also clearly is one.

Posted by: dan | Nov 29, 2006 8:42:24 AM

19. I'd still tap dat ass.

Posted by: Halfsies | Nov 29, 2006 12:08:23 PM

20. Anyway, in that case, I agree, he really shouldn't be here. And more should be done to select gay/gay-friendly guys to admire.

Posted by: EireKev | Nov 29, 2006 5:18:38 AM

I 100% agree with that. I don't care how good looking Fabio is or how great his butt is or blah blah blah. He's a homophobe, simple and plain. He doesn't deserve to be worshipped by gay men. If he was not an athlete and was ugly and fat, every single gay guy would trash him for making homophobic comments.

Posted by: _____ | Nov 29, 2006 12:18:03 PM

21. Oh no! I just tried this page on Internet Explorer and the link comes out fine (two lines). It's Firefox that doesn't split it up. Sorry, Dan, I thought everybody couldn't see the link properly. Thanks for posting and translating!

Posted by: EireKev | Nov 29, 2006 12:18:30 PM

22. No problem. I have to confess I only found the article because I thought he was so hot I was doing google searches to find out more about him. A pity what I found out showed me he's a homophobic prick.

Oh well.

Posted by: Dan | Nov 29, 2006 4:30:20 PM

23. I'm not an expert on soccer players (or footballers), but I read this quote about Cristiano Ronaldo from Michael Davies on the ESPN site - "Sure looks like he's going to Spain. Someone told me he's the new gay icon. Hilarious." So I'm guessing there are many more footballers who are also "gay icons". I wonder how they all feel about that. Are there any more of them who have made anti-gay remarks as well? Just wondering.

And I don't know why Michael Davies thinks it's "hilarious" that Cristiano Ronaldo is a gay icon either. *shrugs*

Posted by: _____ | Nov 29, 2006 10:37:49 PM