Sportrait: Fabio Cannavaro

Giuseppe di Virgilio, a Neapolitan artist who normally does statuettes for nativity scenes, sculpted a special tribute to Cannavaro.

Fabiostatue Fabiostatue2

The sculptural qualities of Cannavaro, however, have been admired for some time.

Fabio5

Fabio6 Fabio7 Fabio8

You may have missed…
Sportrait: Italian Footballers [tr]
Sportrait: David Wright and Jose Reyes [tr]
Sportrait: Gavin Henson [tr]
Video Sportrait: Alexandre Despatie [tr]
Sportrait: Wayne Rooney [tr]

Comments

1. Steve says

What’s you going to do with all that junk, all that junk inside your trunk?

I’ll tell you what I’d like to do with all his junk. Damn!!!!!!!!

2. peterparker says

Andy…I love your ‘Sportrait’ sections…jocks are hot, especially when they look like Brady Quinn, Robby Ginepri, Cooper Cronk and Geoffroy Messina…and I could never, ever get enough of David Beckham…but how about showcasing some hot, out, queer jocks like Graham Ackerman or Mark Tewksbury?

3. dlp says

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 28, 2006 3:12:36 PM

I totally agree Peter!

4. Anonimous1320 says

Why we must admire him if he really does not like to be admired by gays? What he was thinking while he accepted DG’s requests?

5. EireKev says

How do you know he does not like to be admired by gays? There was a suggestion he might be a fascist in a previous thread BUT that was apparently di Canio, not the (extremely hot) Cannavaro.

6. 000000 says

What ass? They simply shot this boy at the right angle. You’d think he’s the Venus Hottentot around here.

7. EireKev says

Although I doubt my Spanish is good enough (yet!) to be able to understand that link, Dan, I couldn’t get to it anyway. Everybody if you’re posting a long link please split it up in two or three cos it just gets cut off here.

Anyway, in that case, I agree, he really shouldn’t be here. And more should be done to select gay/gay-friendly guys to admire.

8. dan says

Odd. The full link shows on my screen broken into two lines.

In any case, the key quotes are:

“No me agrada eso de que me elijan como √≠cono de la comunidad homosexual”.

Roughly translated, that’s “I’m not happy to have been chosen as a gay icon”.

And:

“Convivir con compa√Īeros gays puede traer problemas y provocar situaciones embarazosas”

Which is basically saying that working with gay teammates could “bring problems” and “provoke embarassing situations”. He then goes on to talk about how they all walk around nekkid in the locker room, and presumably he doesn’t want gay men ogling him. So I’ve decided not to ogle him; though he’s got quite an ass, he also clearly is one.

9. _____ says

Posted by: EireKev | Nov 29, 2006 5:18:38 AM

I 100% agree with that. I don’t care how good looking Fabio is or how great his butt is or blah blah blah. He’s a homophobe, simple and plain. He doesn’t deserve to be worshipped by gay men. If he was not an athlete and was ugly and fat, every single gay guy would trash him for making homophobic comments.

10. EireKev says

Oh no! I just tried this page on Internet Explorer and the link comes out fine (two lines). It’s Firefox that doesn’t split it up. Sorry, Dan, I thought everybody couldn’t see the link properly. Thanks for posting and translating!

11. Dan says

No problem. I have to confess I only found the article because I thought he was so hot I was doing google searches to find out more about him. A pity what I found out showed me he’s a homophobic prick.

Oh well.

12. _____ says

I’m not an expert on soccer players (or footballers), but I read this quote about Cristiano Ronaldo from Michael Davies on the ESPN site – “Sure looks like he’s going to Spain. Someone told me he’s the new gay icon. Hilarious.” So I’m guessing there are many more footballers who are also “gay icons”. I wonder how they all feel about that. Are there any more of them who have made anti-gay remarks as well? Just wondering.

And I don’t know why Michael Davies thinks it’s “hilarious” that Cristiano Ronaldo is a gay icon either. *shrugs*