Colorado | News | Religion | Ted Haggard

BigGayDeal.com

Ted Haggard Letter: "I am Guilty...a Deceiver and a Liar"

TedhaggardTed Haggard was fired as pastor of the Colorado Springs-based New Life Church over the weekend by an independent overseer board that determined him unfit to retain his position. Said the board, which was made up of clergy from other churches: "Our investigation and Pastor Haggard's public statements have proven without a doubt that he has committed sexually immoral conduct."

Haggard also sent a letter to his congregation which was read aloud to them on Saturday apologizing for the "disappointment, betrayal, and hurt" that he had caused.

"I alone am responsible for the confusion caused by my inconsistent statements. The fact is, I am guilty of sexual immorality, and I take responsibility for the entire problem," Haggard told them.

He added: "I am a deceiver and a liar. There is a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I've been warring against it all of my adult life."

The full text of Haggard's letter can be read here. His wife Gayle wrote a letter as well.

Haggard says he will submit to the oversight of Dr. James Dobson, Pastor Jack Hayford, and Pastor Tommy Barnett (after which I'm sure we will have anointed a flaming new leader for the "ex-gay" movement).

The video above is a clip of Richard Dawkins, a leader in evolutionary biology, questioning Pastor Ted.

You may have missed...
Ted Haggard: Bought Meth, Didn't Use It; Received Massage, No Sex [tr]
Mike Jones Fails Lie Detector Test on Ted Haggard But Test Administrator Doubts Test's Accuracy [tr]
Ted Haggard Voicemails Analyzed; Pastor Admits to Indiscretions [tr]
Evangelical Leader Ted Haggard Steps Down After Gay Escort Claims They Had a Sexual Relationship for Three Years [tr]

Comments

1. Has anyone taken a look at the new life church's leadership directory (with pictures). Every man listed has gay face.

For those who don't know what that is, simply go to connexion.com and look at the pictures of guys and their over-reaching smiles. A look only their mother's and parish priests could love.

Posted by: Billy | Nov 6, 2006 10:54:56 AM

2. Yadah, yadah, yadah, Kevin... it's not that deep. It's all so basic: one reaps what they sow. Dude is just another closet case who will say anything now that he's outed and embarrased. You best believe he will continue to suck dick or get fucked or whatever his sexual trip is. It's the Jimmy Swaggert thing all over... remember how he got busted with hookers then stood up in front of the congregation and cried and begged for forgiveness. Then, got busted again a short while after? Sex is sex... people will do anything to get off the way they like it. And the more you deny yourself the pleasure, the greater the possibility that you will lie, cheat, deceive to get some. Next...

Posted by: CaliNexus | Nov 6, 2006 10:55:01 AM

3. I can't believe Pastor Haggard's wife actually thinks she can see this through. The man is clearly gay and self-loathing. No amount of support and understanding is going to change his sexuality.

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 6, 2006 10:56:45 AM

4. Here's the faces of leadership at the Haggard's Church. You decide who has gay face:

Posted by: billy | Nov 6, 2006 11:03:43 AM

5. Who wouldn't be a mean bitch after taking the time to read his whole statement and seeing that, in classic theocratic fascist form, his farewell revealed less Christ-like grace and more Old Testament brimstone. What revelatory word choices! He all but directly called all gays "repulsive" and "dirt" and "sick and wounded" whose "sins...need to be dealt with harshly." Shall we dedicate the next "Matthew Shepard" in Ted Haggard's name?

A plague on his house! Save your pity and prayers for the past, present, and future victims of this vile man still a millionaire, still making a mockery of Jesus' name with the final breath of his vulture song. His fall alone from the heights of religious political power sends the message to gay kids everywhere that they are unworthy of God's or anyone else's love. And, lest they miss the point, he couldn't resist stamping them with his personalized Mark of the Beast——"DIRT"——on his way to History's refuse heap.

Posted by: Leland | Nov 6, 2006 11:06:17 AM

6. Sorry, after his self-loathing, hateful letter, I have 0 compassion for this man at this time.

Ted, it's not the gay that keeps you in "darkness" - it's the religon.

Posted by: Marco | Nov 6, 2006 11:31:12 AM

7. While I think lots of us feel some empathy for someone who was so struggling with his gay identity -- because most of us gays and lesbians have been there -- I feel no sympathy for a man who, faced with that struggle, chose to lash out at his brothers and sisters. Not only because it's terribly hypocritical, but because he did it in the name of Christianity. Well, I'm no longer a Christian, but I was raised one, and the Jesus I was taught about preached compassion, and warned against judging your fellow man. His message, like those of his fellow evangelists, is the very antithesis of Christianity. The sad part is, that is not the lesson his "flock" will take home from this.

Posted by: Glenn | Nov 6, 2006 12:27:14 PM

8. Translation of Billy's comment: "I've been unable to get laid with anyone on connexion.org."

Posted by: Steve | Nov 6, 2006 12:55:35 PM

9. Please take a moment to look at the 10 Commandments! It says nothing about homosexuality. The command to be straight is not even among the top 10! Why do we focus so much time and energy hating this particular sin? Isn't glorifying God and loving our brothers and sisters a much better use of our time? We are all sinners, but the worst sin we all struggle with is pride. It's not nearly as controversial to talk about pride, though, is it?

Posted by: Mary | Nov 6, 2006 1:01:18 PM

10. Have you ever noticed how the effeminate pastors all have the big flocks? The Evangelical pastors’ motto for Mega-Churches: “the more they seat the higher the feet”. Look at Joel Osteen from Lakewood church in Houston TX. He looks like Paul Lynde and Liberace’s love child. Joel sounds like a gay hyperventilating sheep when he speaks and his wife looks like RuPaul did her make-up. Don’t forget Paul and Jan (Clown Face) Crouch. Paul is still paying off a gay sex scandal from several years ago and Jan makes Tammy Faye look like a nun. These folks are on television all the time asking for money. Sick Sick Sick

Posted by: ggreen | Nov 6, 2006 1:06:23 PM

11. ....bravo, mark m, bravo...in your first post above^^, you said it man...you SAID it...! thank you....

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Nov 6, 2006 1:41:10 PM

12. Hey, GGreen, you know why that is, right? Because being the head of a mega-church has nothing to do with actually being a minister to your flock, it's all theatrics, and putting on a good show. And who can put on a show better than a big 'mo?

Posted by: Glenn | Nov 6, 2006 2:21:30 PM

13. Being raised in the Assembly of God Church and hearing pastors from the pullpit say that gays are an abomination to God and bound for hell, maybe this is what needed to happen to wake up Evangelicals around the world in order that they might "love" as oppose to "judge" everyone who is not exactly as they are. It sickens me because I would still love to be able to attend church at the AOG and be involved in the music. However, the last AOG church I attended happened to be at the same time that my wife and I divorced, and during that trauma, I felt very comfortable in "confiding" in that pastor and was VERY honest and open about everything going on in my life, after which I was not allowed to ever sing or play the piano in that church again!! I feel as if that was judgment being cast upon me, and it wasn't even like my life was a PUBLIC scandal such as this one. No one in the church knew my issues other than the pastor whom I spoke to in a confidential and private fashion. Therefore, I do not attend church now as a gay man but still feel as if I have a ministry and talent in music that is God-given!!!

Posted by: BRYAN | Nov 6, 2006 2:33:22 PM

14. mary, you're right, but homosexuality is not a sin.

Posted by: Nikko | Nov 6, 2006 2:43:33 PM

15. What a moving, sad, self-loathing letter.

Doesn't do a thing to stop the well-deserved schadenfreude though.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 6, 2006 2:56:31 PM

16. "....Meth is a drug used by gay men to enhance the stimulation they feel in their rectums when they are having anal sex. Ted bought and used meth to enhance the feeling he got when Mike Jones penetrated him anally..."

ALERT: Christian-Fascist

Posted by: rob adams | Nov 6, 2006 3:01:24 PM

17. "mary, you're right, but homosexuality is not a sin." -- Nikko

Nikko, you must not be doing it right. ;)

Posted by: Glenn | Nov 6, 2006 3:09:20 PM

18. Nikko - According to God's Word, which I believe to be true, homosexuality is a sin. Read Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; Romans 1:26-27; and 1 Corinthians 6:9) God is a Creator and homosexuality, as well as contraception, stand in His way of creating. Anything that is against His will is a sin.

Posted by: mary | Nov 6, 2006 3:29:19 PM

19. Like I've said elsewhere, if you are prepared to preach to me, then you should be prepared to preach to the Taliban or the Saudis. Off you go then and best of luck! Your faith hangs in the balance.

When I want your advice I'll ask. Thanks.

Posted by: Anon | Nov 6, 2006 3:39:59 PM

20. Wonder when we'll hear the selected president say:

I am the super LIAR and deceiver!

Posted by: FunMe | Nov 6, 2006 3:42:08 PM

21. I guess Amazon.com won't be selling any more copies of "From This Day Forward: Making Your Vows Last a Lifetime" by Ted and Gayle Haggard.

"From This Day Forward will open your eyes to the spiritual importance of the wedding ceremony as a beautiful expression of God’s love–and of His divine design for marriage.

The wedding ceremony signifies so much more than a commitment between two individuals; it’s a living portrait of God’s love for His people. The whole drama of God’s love and plan for all of us is represented in the rites of the traditional wedding ceremony and the daily experience of marriage.

God designed marriage to reveal His love relationship with His people, His bride. When others look at an excellent marriage they see a husband gladly setting aside his own desires to care for his beloved, just as Christ abandoned His life for all of us. And they see a wife who, having taken on her husband’s name and calling, loves to please him and spend time in his presence, just as believers in Christ respond eagerly to God.

When your eyes are open to these realities, your marriage–and your relationship with God–will shine with the wonder of this divine romance.

From This Day Forward beckons you into a joyful celebration of the wedding ceremony and marriage relationship as you embark on the everyday adventure of love as God designed it to be."

Posted by: Leo | Nov 6, 2006 3:45:04 PM

22. See above?
    Fundamentalist Christ-Nazism is spreading.

Fear and fight their oozing Hate.

Posted by: rob adams | Nov 6, 2006 3:46:50 PM

23. "Nikko - According to God's Word, which I believe to be true, homosexuality is a sin." -- Mary.

Oh dear. Let the flaming begin!

Posted by: Glenn | Nov 6, 2006 3:46:56 PM

24. Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just pointing out what God's Word says. I still think we focus too much on homosexuality as a sin and not enough on loving our brothers and sisters.

Posted by: Mary | Nov 6, 2006 4:08:35 PM

25. Mary:

G-d's word? No... MEN's words.
    You, willingly, ignoring the difference.
    That is a real, true sin.

Mary, you are spreading men's hate, not divine word.

Posted by: rob adams | Nov 6, 2006 4:16:50 PM