Anderson Cooper | Donald Trump | Miss USA | News | Rosie O'Donnell | Tara Conner | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Trump and Rosie Open Season of Peace and Good Will

While traveling, I missed the feud that erupted between Donald Trump and Rosie O'Donnell following Trump's pardon of Miss USA Tara Conner following the revelation that she had used cocaine. Makes me think I should travel more often.

Comments

1. As much as I dislike Rosie, I hate Trump. He's making fun of Rosie's looks?? Get a grip or a mirror you freak. The hair is just the icing on that mess of a cake. He was in Chapeter 11 and broke, he was bailed out and made his money back on government grants.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 21, 2006 6:04:01 PM

2. I think Rosie struck a nerve...

Posted by: Je | Dec 21, 2006 6:11:21 PM

3. I think Rosie has a point--how can Donald Trump pass judgment on these girls saying what they do is right or wrong, and the whole going into rehab thing. She got a bit petty but Trump's response was completely nasty and classless--what's the remark about her girlfriend? Is it a threat?

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 21, 2006 6:16:47 PM

4. Rosie just said publicly what I have been saying about this guy for years. I certainly can't fault her for agreeing with me :)

Posted by: mark m | Dec 21, 2006 6:25:24 PM

5. I hate them both, but I hate Rosie more. They both should sit and spin. To hell with the both of them.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 21, 2006 6:38:08 PM

6. What scares me more are the right wing comments on youtube regarding the "left wing" Rosie O'Donnell. WTF is wrong this this country??? Why are all the right wing nuts constantly out to get the "left wing liberals"??? And when did this become a liberal versus a cnservative issue? And why are there soooo many right wing nuts on youtube? This country scares me. Every day.

As for the discussion, while I think both were out of line, I thought Rosie's commentary was spot on. Donald just carried on like a three year old backed into a corner, resorting to fat jokes, name calling and erroneous information. Rosie ended her show on her own terms at the peak of it's ratings cause she wanted to break free and come out and away from the mid-western housewife image she felt pressured into performing. The Views ratings have skyrocketed with her on the show, and she has donated tons of her own money to Katrina victims, vets (and Republican vets) and her own time to good causes. I haven't seen Trump or any other "conversatives" do any thing close to that altruistic except campaigning for discriminating agianst homoexuals, donating money to big business, starting wars and causing a social-political civil war in the states. I am so sick of American politics, I could vomit.

Posted by: Cory | Dec 21, 2006 6:55:29 PM

7. I like Rosie. Love her in fact.

Think Trump is a pompous ass (though I've heard other say that of Rosie LOL ).

She did strike a nerve didn't she? OUCH...

Posted by: trey | Dec 21, 2006 7:00:31 PM

8. Am I the only one that likes Rosie O' Donnel? Andy, I'm a straight man who reads your blog because I am a Democrat and believe strongly in gay rights issues. I also happen to love the hell out of Rosie O' Donnel and don't get what the backlash against her is about? She speakes her mind, tells it as it is, she is loud but charming as hell and hilarious. She calls attention to bullshit and I love it. We also forget that for years she had her own TV show which was HAILED by audiences and critics alike because it found success based solely on her KINDNESS. Do we all forget this? She was one of the most loved women in America in the late 90s. How people can speak badly about her boggles me.

Posted by: Alan | Dec 21, 2006 7:25:07 PM

9. Alan, I didn't state it but I love Rosie too. I love how she speaks her mind and takes whatever gets thrown at her and throws it back. She's a strong woman with strong opinions and that pisses a lot of people off.

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 21, 2006 7:48:45 PM

10. Like her or hate her, I applaud her for not kissing celebrity ass and giving them shit for their above reproach behaviour.

Posted by: Nev | Dec 21, 2006 8:02:59 PM

11. Trump was just full of bullshit in those clips..Her show didnt fail..It was one of the most successful talk shows ever..Her magazine didnt fail..It was very very popular while it was out..The lawsuit had to do with behind the scenes issues at the publishing company..nothing to do with her being a failure..He's such a dipshit.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 21, 2006 8:17:50 PM

12. Not a fan of Rosie and I refused to read other posts until I write mine.

Donald is a "moral joke"! He moves through marriage faster than a Vitoria Secret model moves through underwear! And who takes him seriously as a "moral compass"? He is a disgrace to the institute of marriage and yet he has the "right" to marry again and again to whomever is younger and blonder than his current wife. LOSER!!!

Rosie, is not my favorite person, however, what makes him think he can send over a friend to take her "girlfriend"?! This was a double slam on Rosie, not acknowledging her partner as her spouse and slamming her ability to have an equal marriage that cannot be broken by an outside party!!! He is a snake and a jerk. And those are his better qualities!

Posted by: RB | Dec 21, 2006 8:28:51 PM

13. I think Jossip (I think?) got it right when they commented on what Donald said about Rosie and Kelli--

This is the Donald: "When I saw the tape, I said, 'You'd better be careful or I'll send one of my friends over to take your girlfriend!' " Trump told The News. "I imagine it would be pretty easy to take her girlfriend away, considering how Rosie looks."

This is Jossip: Just so someone will put it on the record: We imagine it would be pretty easy to take away his wife Melania, considering how Donald looks.

PS: Didn't Donald Trump once sue someone for calling him a Millionaire instead of a Billionaire? The guy is a hot mess. He just lost a major casino development deal here in Philadelphia. Maybe he should focus on his business and not on acting like a four year old child. I imagine all those folks with M.B.A.'s and advanced business degrees are real thrilled with a boss that goes on every show possible calling people fat and ugly.

Posted by: Harrison | Dec 21, 2006 9:06:37 PM

14. Rosie certainly will not need a rebuttle to Trump. He clarified the kind of person he is in his own statements.

Posted by: Blake Fox | Dec 21, 2006 9:19:04 PM

15. what burns my ass is that barbara walters apologized for the friction. how weak can barbara wah wah be? we love what rosie brings to the show like her or not. rosie tells it like it is. kiss some ass barbara.

Posted by: poodle | Dec 21, 2006 9:33:28 PM

16. I'm not sure about the reasoning by Rosie here: did she want Trump to fire Miss America? What standard was she trying to uphold? The more I think about it, the more confusing it is. I suspect this is a manufactured publicity stunt.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 21, 2006 11:07:38 PM

17. Oh, Puhleeze! Rosie's right and Wombat-hair man is wrong. Just think Ivana!

Posted by: woodroad34 | Dec 22, 2006 1:16:37 AM

18. That frecking ass Trump called in to our local Fox affiliate this morning and had more stupid shit to say, but then added that he thinks Rosie was all upset because she wanted to "put the crown on" the new Miss USA implying she's a sexual predator.

GOD, I didn't think I could despise this man more. He really seems to have a huge problem dealing with women in power. Remember the whole Martha Stewart thing? Again, another "polarizing" (read: strong, opinionated) woman in the mainstream who hits a nerve and suddenly he freaks out and acts like the 8 year old son of a wifebeater playing with girls on the playground.

Go to hell, Trump. I hope you get pubic lice in that freaky animal on your head.

Posted by: Rey | Dec 22, 2006 1:22:39 AM

19. Trump is a lying, rat-haired, racist bag of shit. He had the fucking gall to make the statement "I've always been a believer of second chances!" Oh yeah right, like Apprentice is all about giving people second chances! And when Miss USA of 2002 missed a couple of public appearances she got no second chance, she got booted! But this bitch does cocaine and booze and she stays?! C'mon [T]Rump we know you made her blow you, admit it!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Dec 22, 2006 2:03:30 AM

20. And as for the racist part, keep in mind that the runner up was Black. Now read this passage from "Trumped!: The Inside Story of the Real Donald Trump - His Cunning Rise & Spectacular Fall," by John R. O'Donnell, former president, Trump Plaza Hotel & Casino, pages 147-149:Now read this quote from "Trumped!: The Inside Story of the Real Donald Trump - His Cunning Rise & Spectacular Fall," by John R. O'Donnell, former president, Trump Plaza Hotel & Casino, pages 147-149:

"Our lunch at Trump Tower concluded with a discussion of personnel. Donald brought a unique approach to this as well. "Tell me about Steve Hyde," he said.

Of course, I had nothing but the highest regard for Steve and I told Donald so. "Yeah, that's my man," he quickly added. "I have to tell you," he went on, "I feel real good about the quality of people he's brought in. It's been a real positive for us." Then just as quickly he changed course. "So who do you think is doing a shitty job?" he asked.

I told him no one. But he went down a list of names until we got to a finance employee of Trump Plaza, who happened to be black.

"What do you think of him?" Donald asked.

I said I was familiar with his abilities, and he had shortcomings. "To be honest, I don't think he's the best we can have," I said. "I'd like to see him either come up to speed, where he can help me a lot more, or maybe there's something else he can do."

Instantly, Donald was enthused. "Yeah, I never liked the guy. I don't think he knows what the ##### he's doing. My accountants up in New York are always complaining about him. He's not responsive. And isn't it funny, I've got black accountants at Trump Castle and at Trump Plaza. Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day. Those are the kind of people I want counting my money. Nobody else."

I couldn't believe I was hearing this. But Donald went on, "Besides that, I've got to tell you something else. I think that the guy is lazy. And it's probably not his fault because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It's not anything they can control.... Don't you agree?" He looked me square in the eye and waited for my reply.

"Donald, you really shouldn't say things like that to me or anybody else," I said. "That is not the kind of image you want to project. We shouldn't even be having this conversation, even if it's the way you feel."

"Yeah, you're right," he said. "If anybody ever heard me say that...holy #####...I'd be in a lot of trouble. But I have to tell you, that's the way I feel."

"Well, I have to tell you, I don't agree with you. We've got people at the Plaza doing good jobs, we've got people doing jobs that are not so good. It's got nothing to do with the color of anybody's skin."

He gave a short chop with his hand, as if to wave away my point of view. "Ah, it's a trait. Anyway I'm glad to hear you're going to get rid of the guy."

I hadn't said that. So I corrected him. "Donald, I'd like to see what the guy can do. Let's just wait and see. If we continue to have problems in the finance area, then yes, maybe he doesn't have the ability, and I'll think about a replacement."

Donald was satisfied with that. But for months afterward he continued to press me to fire the man. Ultimately the executive resigned to pursue other opportunities.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Dec 22, 2006 2:08:58 AM

21. And now we know why Randall (Black man)who clearly deserved to win, was forced to "share" his Apprentice-ship with Rebecca. And yeah, I wonder if Rump has it out for all O'Donells since the author was an O'Donnell. Hmmm.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Dec 22, 2006 2:17:53 AM

22. I love Rosie!

Everything she said was right. I hope she kicks his @ss if they go to court.

Soulbrotha, I suspected he might have a problem with minorities by the way he treated them on The Apprentice.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 22, 2006 3:38:49 AM

23. Team Rosie and the View all the way

Donald Trump is an ass, in all the interviews he keeps repeating the same thing, about her talk show going off the air, about her magazine going under...who cares???

But i love it how he's so threatened by her lol

Posted by: steve | Dec 22, 2006 6:27:04 AM

24. Love Rosie or hate her, you have to admit the impersonation (especially the hair flip) she did of The Donald was spot on. Personally I can't stand Donald Trump (money does not a man make) and his childish rebuttal is just an example of one of the many reasons for the way I feel about him.

As for Rosie, well, she's got one of the biggest hearts of any celebrity in this day and age and I agree most of her viewpoints.

Posted by: J.P. | Dec 22, 2006 8:36:13 AM

25. First of all, I can't understand why anyone hates Rosie. However, I also can't understand why anyone would like Donald Trump, other than thinking they might get some money from him.

He is horrible. The Apprentice has been doing so badly in the ratings he's desperate to keep it going. I fucking hate Donald Trump and Rosie was completely right about him.

If he were really THAT rich he wouldn't need The Apprentice, well, other than to feed that mutant ego of his.

Rosie has done more for parentless children and for gay rights than most celebrities will EVER do. She's amazing.

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 22, 2006 10:12:49 AM