Dolce & Gabbana | Fashion Men | Gay Parents | Italy | News

BigGayDeal.com

Stefano Gabbana: Same-Sex Parents Unfit to Raise Children

Dolce_gabbana_1Stefano Gabbana (left), one half of the formerly-a-couple fashion duo Dolce & Gabbana, has told an Italian newspaper he wants a child with a woman because he believes a child should not be raised by same-sex parents:

"My dream is to have a baby, not to adopt one because I am not up to it and I don't feel strong enough. I want my own child, a biological child, the fruit of my sperm, conceived through artificial insemination because it wouldn't make sense for me to make love to a woman I don't love. The person I love today is my partner so I am looking for a civilised and refined woman. A week ago I asked a dear friend of mine, who is twelve years younger than me, if she would help. I asked her 'Would you like to be the mother of my child ?' She was left a bit shocked and the following day telephoned and said she was still shocked but thought it was a great idea. I am opposed to the idea of a child growing up with two gay parents. A child needs a mother and a father. I could not imagine my childhood without my mother. I also believe that it is cruel to take a baby away from its mother."

He also commented on his split from his designing partner Domenico Dolce:

"It was a real shock, a body blow. What surprises me is how we have overcome this traumatic breakup which is just the same for any couple if they are gay or hetero. We are still together because what we had was a great love story. I have a relationship with someone else know but Domenico will always be the most important person in my life. Intelligently we have managed to remain good friends and accomplices. Instead of the business splitting we have continued to work and will continue to work together. It's been difficult but we managed it."

You may have missed...
Chad White and Clint Mauro: Window Dressing [tr]
On Your Knees for Dolce & Gabbana Jeans

Comments

1. I suppose everyone has a right to their own opinion, I just wish that they would explain a little more.

It's easy to say that two gay parents shouldn't raise a child. But they never explain why.

It's easy to say that "a child needs a mother and a father." But they can't explain why.

I think someone has been drinking the kool-aid.

Posted by: Aaron | Dec 11, 2006 12:35:36 PM

2. I found what he said to be bullshit cause same-sex couples are equally fit to raise an intelligent, healthy child. While on the other hand, I'm too concerned about not having a female or male figure to influence the child.

Posted by: Damon | Dec 11, 2006 12:37:45 PM

3. He also failed to explain how his arrangement is going to provide a child with a mother and a father any more than any other arrangement. I assume that he intends for the child to live with his mother (since it's cruel to take a child from his mother) so how is he going to be a father, living with his boyfriend (separate from his child) anymore than any other gay person who has a child?

He also doesn't explain whether he thinks it's cruel to take a child away from his father or if it's only the mother who's critical to the child's developement.

Did he bother talking to kids who were raised by same sex parents, or single parents (especially single fathers)? Has he ever talked to people who were raised by mixed gender couples who abused or neglected them?

Frankly I think this guy is repeating the talking points of the Catholic Church and he should consider just keep his sperm to himself for the good of everyone concerned.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 11, 2006 12:47:00 PM

4. Posted by: Zeke | Dec 11, 2006 12:48:45 PM

5. I think it's not so much hetero or homo couples--I think kooks raising children is the real problem.

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 11, 2006 12:52:10 PM

6. Actually I think that a child would be more damaged as a result of being raised by an Italian fashion designer. If the child is a girl, imagine the totally screwed-up body image she'll be surrounded by...

"Hello, is this the emergency pediatric eating disorders clinic? Yes, I'll hold."

Posted by: Brian | Dec 11, 2006 1:02:50 PM

7. Good one, Brian. Moral of the story: once Euro Trash, always Euro Trash.

Posted by: Leland | Dec 11, 2006 1:05:34 PM

8. I think it's not so much hetero or homo couples--I think kooks raising children is the real problem.

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 11, 2006 12:52:10 PM

WELL PUT! Very simple, to the point, and true. And I gree 100% with Zeke as well.

But let's face it, the dude is a fashion designer and I'm guessing most gay fashion designers don't deal with shit that regular gay folks deal with, or even care much about gay rights because they don't deal with discrimination since they live and dominate in the fashion world.

Posted by: _____ | Dec 11, 2006 1:06:05 PM

9. The guy is a fashion guru. What other feminine influence does the child need?

Posted by: Andy | Dec 11, 2006 1:09:39 PM

10. I guess that means that Britney and Kevin would make great parents for a kid. A man and a woman, after all...

Posted by: Chris Wren | Dec 11, 2006 1:13:49 PM

11. Or how about Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes? *shudders*

Posted by: _____ | Dec 11, 2006 1:15:26 PM

12. I'm supposed to care about the opinion of someone who designs ugly, fugly jeans? Nope. Not gonna happen.

Posted by: homer | Dec 11, 2006 1:17:58 PM

13. let's not forget we're talking Italy here...
    and besides, comparing babies to gaybies is akin to apples 'n oranges.

Posted by: A.J. | Dec 11, 2006 1:21:58 PM

14. Seriously, i care as much about the social/political/psychological opinions of someone who designes clothes as I do about self-hating gay republicans. Why is this news? How is he important socially other than whether this year's line is good or bad?

Posted by: chrisnyc | Dec 11, 2006 1:32:45 PM

15. Does anyone know any truly sane fashion designers?

Posted by: Steve | Dec 11, 2006 1:37:36 PM

16. He’s a fashion designer, not an anthropologist. We’ll live.

N.B. The term Eurotrash is a vile pejorative, as nasty (and misleading) in its own way as any other ethnic slur. Gay men ought to know better - and most do, really - but apparently the experience of sneering disdain in one sphere of life can't teach some individuals to avoid recreating it in others.

Posted by: Fastlad | Dec 11, 2006 1:48:32 PM

17. What is also disturbing is his selfishness in asking a straight woman to give up her hopes of finding a straight partner and is being asked to be his surrogate.

What an ahole, god help the poor kid.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Dec 11, 2006 1:50:07 PM

18. He really buys into the propoganda doesn't he?!

So much so he doesn't see the hypocrisy/irony of his own choice of having a child with a woman who he won't live with. So, it's bad to have a child with two parents of the same sex, but it's all right to have a child with immediately divorced and separate parents? (hey, I think it's fine if they worked it out, just hypocrisy to say one is bad and the other is good).

And he disses adoption right away (which adds a whole other layer of irony and hypocrisy to his words)...

oh well.. maybe this shows my gay credentials are lacking, but I didn't even know who he was :D..

Posted by: Trey | Dec 11, 2006 1:53:55 PM

19. he's so classy

Posted by: tim | Dec 11, 2006 1:59:23 PM

20. All of the Dolce and Gabbana clothing worn by celebrities is given to them by the company. The only people who actually spend money on the clothes are gay men. If we all decided to boycott Dolce and Gabbana, they'd go out of business in about 48 hours flat. Do I feel a letter writing campaign coming on?

Dolce and Gabbana
    Via Santa Cecilia, 7
    20122 Milano
    Italy

Dolce and Gabbana Public Relations
    Via Goldoni, 10
    20129 Milano
    Italy

D&G Public Relations
    Via Giuseppe Broggi, 23
    20129 Milano
    Italy

Dolce and Gabbana USA, Inc.
    660 Madison Avenue
    New York, NY 10021
    212.750.0055

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 11, 2006 1:59:31 PM

21. Hmmm

Nature shows that Coyotes utilize the eldest daughter to help raise pups....does that mean Nature says it takes a village to raise a child??

Nature shows japanese Monkeys utilizing two females with no males around after impregnation to raise children...is Nature/ Reality saying that only females can raise children?

Nature shows 1 Bull seal with hundreds of female seals and only the females raise ythe children

Nature= reality no matter what some priest, politican, or guru says.....nature shows that whatever works is what is best for the species. That nature is different across the board......Nature is NOT dogmatic

Oh, and good hamster parents eat their young quite often...:-) So mothers and fathers should eat their babies because it is only natural

Gabban should have just kept his trap shut

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Dec 11, 2006 2:08:50 PM

22. Fastlad,

I disagree. I don’t think “Euro-trash” is that entirely offensive in the grand scheme of things. All that is being singled out really is “trash” from the continent of Europe. It’s not as if the poster referred to any real taboo (id est religion, race, et cetera).
    I mean come on… you can’t say that there isn’t “North American trash” and whatnot. It’s just one of those universals; in every culture and continent there are people who detract from the rest.
    I do respect what you are trying to say, but I think you may be on PC overload.

Posted by: RP | Dec 11, 2006 2:13:57 PM

23. he's an asswipe.

Posted by: stolidog | Dec 11, 2006 2:16:03 PM

24. PS

Ducks form Triads quite often

1 female, 1 Alpha Male that mates with the female, and 1 beta/sub male that only mates with the alpha male....all 3 raise the children.

So according to the ducks (whom I respect a lot more than politicans and priests) every heterosexual couple must go out and bring a gay man into the relationship for the pleasure of the husband and the raising of healthy kids. :-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Dec 11, 2006 2:19:40 PM

25. Who cares? The idea by Peter Parker that we should boycot D&G is as gay as D&C. You silly nelly thing, you.

Posted by: Bryan, Texas USA | Dec 11, 2006 2:52:40 PM