Barack Obama | Election 2008 | Matthew McConaughey | News | Rosie O'Donnell | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #62

BARACK OBAMA: First ad of the campaign for President.

ROSIE O'DONNELL: Apologies on The View for Asian slur.

DAILY SHOW: Samantha Bee reports on the English-language Al Jazeera network.

MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY: Talks We Are Marshall and reacts to Matt Damon's impersonation.

The rest of our guides to the Tube can be browsed here!

Comments

1. Also, I only think this is worhty of note becase Rosie made such a stink about Kelly Ripa's "homophobic" remark to Clay Aiken.

Posted by: GBM | Dec 15, 2006 1:23:50 PM

2. Anyway, Samantha Bee is the shiznit. She can really rock out on that casio.

Posted by: Scott | Dec 15, 2006 1:33:08 PM

3. RP: There's a big difference between substituting nonsense syllables for a language you don't speak and aping a dialect of your own language, as would be the case if someone were to put on an African-American accent--you know, kind of like Margaret Cho does everytime she's on stage.

Posted by: Tom | Dec 15, 2006 1:39:31 PM

4. Okay people there's a huge difference between being a bigot and being ignorant. Rosie was not aware that "ching-chong" was offensive. Not the brightest move on her part, but please look at the context.

Posted by: HUGO | Dec 15, 2006 1:39:54 PM

5. I agree that Rosie is not an overt bigot; this is just another reflection of ignorance, intellectual laziness, and subliminal racism that is rampant within the white gay community when it comes to issues of race and class. As an Asian person, the word "ching-chong" has always been used against me in a hateful and malicious way, and i consider them to be fighting words, much like how "fag" and the n-word are used to wound.

Posted by: deathrock | Dec 15, 2006 2:11:35 PM

6. I read some of the most hateful insults and comments on this blog on a daily basis so I find it rather odd that the same people who post virulent schlock daily are the same people who are trying to mandate what is considered PC versus just plain rude. Give me a mother fucking break.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 15, 2006 2:15:43 PM

7. Brett. You are obviously completely unaware of the racism existent in this country towards Asians or just insensitive to it. So... No thank you, I will not "lighten the fuck up." In fact, why don’t you go fuck yourself?

To all of you that think this is no big deal, do you even consider that maybe that is exactly the type of thinking that leads to this kind of faux pas that Rosie committed?

I wasn’t even trying to get on a soap box. All I was saying was that I am upset that Rosie doesn’t seem to understand how deeply she offended people with her mocking impersonation.

And… I’m sorry if I come off sounding like a “PC tightassed [pussy]”, but I was (I guess mistakenly) under the impression that this was an open forum for expression of opinions and mature discourse.

Anyways, I’m done talking about this.

Posted by: RP | Dec 15, 2006 2:45:31 PM

8. Hugo, Joey Porter said he didn't mean to offend gay people when he said "fag", so does that mean he should get a pass? What the coward, I mean Rosie, said offended many Chinesse people, and is a common slur. It pathetic that she can't understand that, but I wouldn't expect anything less from her.

Posted by: Cadence | Dec 15, 2006 3:30:10 PM

9. I've known since childhood that saying "ching chong" was derogatory towards Asians. It's strange that some people think it's not.

Posted by: Ron | Dec 15, 2006 5:13:26 PM

10. 1. Not that I'm trying to pick an argument but does anyone here know of a better candidate than Obama who actually has chances of winning? Just wondering? Not that I even think Obama has a chance.

2. Don't care about the guy to much. Skip.

3. I'd join the terrorist if they picked that up as a theme song.

4. Ching Chong is a derogatory word. Rosie should be held accountable. The only person who should be offended is the human race.

Posted by: Damon | Dec 15, 2006 5:39:36 PM

11. Rosie isn't racist because spoken Chinese sounds, to her, like a series of "ching-chong" syllables (personally, I more notice a preponderance of "sh" sounds when I hear spoken chinese rather than "ch" sounds). Unknown languages nearly always sound strange or silly to nonspeakers. French people say English people speak through their nose (and vice versa). German people think Swedish people sound like they're talking with a potatoe in their mouth.

Rosie was making a joke about how widespread news of Danny's Devito's drunkeness was - and her reference, aside from her naive usage of the words "ching chong" did not insinuate that there was anything inferior or wrong with Chinese people or their language.

It was obvious from her apology that she might need to be more sensitive to the differences between asian people since she did interchangeably use "Chinese", "Asian", and "Japanese" during her apology. And now she's learned a vaulable lesson about how loaded the term "ching chong" can be for asian people.

What she said was offensive, but all she implied was that spoken Chinese sounds like "ching chong" syllables - is there anyone who wants to honeslty claim that thinking a foreign language sounds funny is really on par with calling a person a nigger, kike or slanteye?

Posted by: Kipp | Dec 15, 2006 6:14:01 PM

12. Rodolfo--

I watched the video BEFORE I posted so I could make a valid response.

She says, "to anyone who felt offended" and "I'm sorry for those people who felt hurt or were teased on the playground."

She didn't apologize for her remarks, period -- she apologized to specific people.

In my mind, it's the same thing -- it's not an unconditional apology.

"I apologize to anyone I offended" is just as poor as "I apologize if I offended anyone" and people should be called on it.

To that end, I still think she did not INTEND to offend, and has now learned a valuable lesson. If she could do a less-offensive Mock Chinese (a la the Swedish Chef and his Mock Swedish), she could pull off the same gag and not have to apologize.

Posted by: tjc | Dec 15, 2006 6:55:43 PM

13. Don't you need substantial political experience to become a President?

Oh wait, forgot about Dubya.

Posted by: Derrick | Dec 15, 2006 8:10:44 PM

14. As if Asians don't ever discriminate or make derogatory remarks about anyone. The Asians in my dorm used to say the weirdest things about my being white and how superior Asian culture was to American culture, blah blah blah. I was able to successfully not feel sorry for myself. There were also Asian groups on campus that tried to discourage other Asian students from mingling with non-Asian students. Whatever. Their loss.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 16, 2006 1:38:46 AM

15. First off, I know I said I was done, but like a moth to a flame…

Anon, you are making a hasty generalization. That is very unfair. That's on par to "Well, one black man was rude to me, so all black men must be rude." Your argument is illogical and moot.

Kipp, I don’t think anyone was calling Rosie a racist per se. The dismay with Rosie is over her lack of understanding that her faux pas was/is perceived as racist by the Asian community (by-the-way Kipp, “Asian” is capitalized).

What is most upsetting to me about all of these posts is that a lot of people on here seem to think that this is something to be easily blown off… that it’s no big deal. This is quite an easy stance to take when it is not your population being singled out.

Quite frankly, it saddens me more that the negative posters fail to understand, and for that matter even belittle, the offensiveness of Rosie O’Donnell’s actions.

You’re probably the same people that still think its okay to call Asians “Orientals”.

Quite simply, you don’t get it which just like Rosie’s misstep is what is so offensive!

That being said thank you to all of you who are intelligent enough to see through Rosie’s charade and acknowledge how demeaning this is to the Asian community.

I will be getting down from my pedestal now and going to bed.

Good night and good luck.

Posted by: RP | Dec 16, 2006 2:20:42 AM

16. I am Irish and I was so insulted by Rosie's denigration of my countrymen and my accent that I think she should apologize immediately. What an appalling lack of sensitivity to my sensitive nature has she. A horrible woman indeed.

Posted by: Tom | Dec 16, 2006 3:47:09 AM

17. RP,

You are indeed a tightassed pussy and should absolutely lighten the fuck up.

Posted by: Tom | Dec 16, 2006 3:52:15 AM

18. Tom, I have read your posts in other threads as well as this one. That is why I have chosen to ignore you up to this point and not engage you in debate.

You are childish and immature, so while I am off "lighten[ing] the fuck up" please do us all a favor and go grow the fuck up.

Posted by: RP | Dec 16, 2006 10:02:30 AM

19. By-the-way, "tightassed" is two words.

Moron.

Posted by: RP | Dec 16, 2006 10:23:21 AM

20. *rolls eyes*

It's almost as if you WANT it to be offensive. It was a joke. Plain and simple

Why doens't anyone cry foul when a hetro uses a lisp when putting on a 'gay voice'???

We should all be fighting much better battles in my opinion

Posted by: steve | Dec 16, 2006 10:24:47 AM

21. RP: If my argument is hasty then you don't speak for all Asians. So, RP, don't tell us that you've never made an ethnic joke. Ha! I think the correct approach might be to make fun of Rosie back. Everyone likes to give themselves a free pass, so don't throw stones in glass houses.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 16, 2006 10:34:41 AM

22. For the record, I'm of Chinese background and emigrated to Canada at a young age. I didn't know "ching chong" was an ethnic slur but Wikipedia quickly brought me up to speed.

I guess I was lucky that I didn't encounter too much overt racism growing up (though maybe I should ask my parents about their experiences). In any case, I've seen both Rosie's "joke" and her apology. I truly feel she was not trying to be offensive, but having learned that the term *is* a slur, she perhaps could have been more sensitive during the apology. Especially since she has set herself up to be a champion against bigotry and prejudice.

As for the joke itself, I didn't find it funny. If that's her idea of a funny accent, she needs to go back to comedy school and do some remedial work.

Posted by: RJ | Dec 16, 2006 4:28:32 PM

23. Anon, a "hasty generalization" is a form of fallacy such as post hoc ergo propter hoc. Look it up.

RJ, thank you. That is exactly what I was trying to say.

Posted by: RP | Dec 17, 2006 9:58:50 AM

24. I am wondering if we have taken things way to far. I believe that since 911 we all have been at each other be it religion, etc, etc.
    Wondering if we still are trying to blame someone or some specific group for the events of that day. Or just maybe it has been brewing for years and all of a sudden we collectively give it a voice. Rosie is Rosie so let's face it she dosen't speak for me ever. I would suggest that people turn the tv off and computer and do some homework with the kids, go volunteer at a shelter, read a book get some excercise. We collectively live on this planet so stop the finger pointing. It is of no concern to me what the view has to say or the daily show or any other that other garbage. Don't even start with Oprah. Too much time in our lives is spent on eating trash, and watching it.

Just a thought.