Crime | Houston | News | Vandalism

BigGayDeal.com

28 Cars Vandalized Outside Houston Gay Bar

WindshieldTires were slashed and windshields shattered on over two dozen vehicles parked in a lot used by patrons of EJ's Bar in Houston. The vandalism happened early Tuesday morning between the hours of 2 and 3 am.

The parking lot is not equipped with surveillance equipment and police are asking for anyone with information to come forward and contact Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

Gay Bar Patrons Find Vehicles Vandalized [click 2 houston]

Recently
A Mother's Fears as Gay-Bashing Killers Prepare for Parole [tr]

Comments

1. Houston, we have a problem.

I couldn't resist.

Posted by: brian | Jan 9, 2007 10:14:05 AM

2. I realize hate crimes happen everywhere, and that Texas is not the only place. However, it seems to be that more and more homophobia occurs back in Georgie Boy's home state that any where else in the U.S. In 1998 the horrendous dragging death of James Byrd Jr. in Jasper, Texas, followed bu numerous hate crimes against homosexuals (such as the one above). Then Gov. G. W. Bush even sought prosecution of homosexuals for sodomy and over sexual acts, which are still illegal in Texas (but hardly ever prosecuted). In 1993, the amazing Gov. Ann Richards (God bless her soul, she is so sorely missed) passed a hate crimes law, which George Bush tried to ban if it included homosexuals. Utah has a similar hate crime bill as Texas, in which both laws are extremely vague as to which "classes" it seeks to protect for the sole purpose of leaving out protection based on sexual orientation. Here's a great article on Texas hate crimes written in 2000 (needs updating but decent):

What bothers me are the homosexuals living in Texas that DEFEND these laws and the state. I understand the notion that avoiding someplace will not improve things, but will living there PASSIVELY improve the situation either? I say pssively as many homosexuals seem more concerned about parking in gay bars than about petitioning the Texas and Federal government to withdraw or re-write these laws in order to protect the "class" of sexual orientation. It sickens me to see such apathy in the gay community, especially since Texas apparently has one of the largest gay populations in the country. I personally know gay doctors who have moved to Dallas and Houston after finishing their residency's, etc. who can more than afford to live any where, yet why Texas? Why a state that (literally) treats homosexuals as second class citizens without petitioning for change?

Posted by: Cory | Jan 9, 2007 11:11:02 AM

3. Cory, maybe you should ask Ray Hill those questions. Go to this post,

read the comments and then see if what he is saying jibes to this recent incident. Ask him to comment on this post. Good luck.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 9, 2007 11:23:32 AM

4. Soulbrotha: Thanks, I missed those comments. I read most of them just now, as for Ray Hill, I don't have the strength lol ;).

Posted by: Cory | Jan 9, 2007 12:05:41 PM

5. This is clearly an act of terrorism as defined in 18USC2331(1)(B)(i) [a.k.a. USA PATRIOT ACT]; too bad that (1)(C) precludes the ability to apply it. I personally would enjoy seeing these vandals brought up on terrorist charges, maybe not sent to the Gitmo Black Hole, but being equated with Osama, et al. I'm willing to bet more than a few of the vandals are the "(Christian) God First Then Country" types that would just puke if they were told they're just like Islamic terrorists! :)

Posted by: Jharadie | Jan 9, 2007 12:30:56 PM

6. There are a great many of us here in Houston who are far from passive - some of us fight very hard for social reform. I am one of those doctors who came here for residency and stayed in part because of the size and diversity of our gay culture. Don't judge our community as a whole or our city by the actions of a few crazy rednecks. Houston has no corner on the hate crime market.

Posted by: Bryant | Jan 9, 2007 8:55:35 PM

7. One victim, Ronnie Siebert, told Houston's KPRC News, "I really honestly do think this was a hate crime and that people are tired of the gays parking on their lot. It's really sad what has happened here tonight."

If the lot is presumably owned by the bar as part of its property who is 'they' that feel gays who patron the bar can't park in the bar's parking lot?

Posted by: EM | Jan 10, 2007 4:33:38 PM