Chris Daughtry | Drew Brees | Football (American) | News | Pete Wentz | Peyton Manning | Reggie Bush | Rex Grossman | Sports | Tom Brady

Bears, Colts Advance to Super Bowl XLI in Miami

Sb1_2

Lots of action on the gridiron this weekend as Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts proved triumphant over Tom Brady (below left) and the New England Patriots on Sunday to join the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI on February 4th.

Sb3_1 Sb4_1

The Chicago Bears and QB Rex Grossman (below) routed Drew Brees (above right) and the New Orleans Saints 39-14 despite an 88-yard touchdown reception and run by Reggie Bush, to enter their first Super Bowl in 21 years.

Outsports has an analysis of the weekend and what's to come.

Grossman

Oh, and at the Bears game, Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz and former American Idol contestant-turned chart topper Chris Daughtry provided accompaniment.

Sb5_1 Sb6_1

Here at Towleroad, we'll be rooting for da Bears all the way. For a special "Da Bears" flashback, follow after the jump...

Comments

1. As I understand it, this is the first time that two NFL teams headed to the Superbowl will be coached by African-Americans. It's nice to see such a change in the NFL, which has had a lot of trouble in hiring minorities for coaching and administrative positions.

Posted by: noah | Jan 22, 2007 2:02:34 PM

2. Noah, the NFL's "lot of trouble in hiring minorities for coaching and administrative positions" stems from the fact that minorities were not offered these positions not from a lack of qualified candidates. I second your approval of the change, however. It is always good for someone to be judged on merit rather than being excluded due to prejudice and bigotry. Slowly our world is changing but I still believe that it is going to be a very long time before a professional athlete admits that he is gay. (Although we have seen some examples in women's sports.) We cannot even get retired athletes to admit they are gay. I am looking at you Sandy Koufax and Carl Lewis.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 22, 2007 2:26:31 PM

3. Noah, this will be the first time that ANY team with an African-American head coach has gone to the Superbowl.

It's awsome that this year BOTH teams have African-American head coaches.

Both of these men are class acts and they happen to be good friends.

As a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan, I give 99% of the credit for our Superbowl championship to Dungy. Gruden walked into a Superbowl ring that was earned by Dungy.

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 22, 2007 5:41:07 PM

4. Sorry for the absence of "quality" in this post, but GO PEYTON! Being a big Vols fan I have to pull for Peyton who just happens to be a demi god in Knoxville!

Posted by: RB | Jan 22, 2007 5:50:53 PM

5. After feeling like it was going to be another NE cakewalk, that 2nd half comeback was all the sweeter. Go Colts!

Posted by: Kurt | Jan 22, 2007 6:06:54 PM

6. Woo Hoo! Bears Bears Bears....

Posted by: Jocko | Jan 22, 2007 6:37:54 PM

7. hey, Brady - "just shake it off. rub some dirt on it or somethin."

love me some peyton manning. it's OVAH, bears!

Posted by: susan | Jan 22, 2007 7:04:50 PM

8. I'll pass on the bears. If there's a group of fans that's made up of poorer sports or more malevolent, I'd be surprised. "Bears finish what katrina started" was just one of Sunday's examples. It's not as though every team lacks ignorant, small minded, petty, uncouth jackasses for fans. Philadelphia comes close and the Saint's have their share. But Bears fans are by far the nastiest.

Go Colt's!

Posted by: joe b | Jan 22, 2007 7:46:32 PM

9. Since I could give a hoot about the football, I have to comment on the Daughtry.

Normally, I love me some Chris Daughtry, so I hate to be this obnoxious and superficial, but what the heck is up with that facial hair??

Oh well. I'm still swooning.

Posted by: Harrison | Jan 23, 2007 1:09:46 AM