Condoleezza Rice | David Beckham | Donald Trump | Gay Pride | Houston | Iraq | Jason Lewis | Madonna | Matthew Rhys | Mexico | News | Oregon | Rosie O'Donnell | Television | Tim Gunn

BigGayDeal.com

News: Posh Spice, Jason Lewis, Houston Pride, Baghdad Blood

road.jpg Catholic Bishop in Piedras Negras, Mexico calls recent legislation legalizing same-sex unions in the state of Coahuila "an attack on the institution of marriage."

road.jpg Two of Saddam Hussein's aides have been hanged in Baghdad.

Beckhamvictoria_1road.jpg Victoria Beckham and her nipples arrive in L.A., inspiring attention from the locals.

road.jpg Police officer in Corvallis, Oregon tasers man during traffic violation pick-up: "Rodney Quinn, 49, was pulled over at NW Jackson Avenue and NW 10th Street after committing several traffic violations in his pickup truck, police said. According to police, Quinn crawled out of his pickup window and yelled, 'Are you a homosexual?' and other statements at the officer who pulled him over. Quinn didn’t respond to orders from police to stay back and continued to approach the officer, police and witnesses said. Authorities said the officer defended himself by using a Taser gun on Quinn."

road.jpg Setting Rosie O'Donnell aside for a moment, Donald Trump weighed in over the weekend on a couple of political figures. The New York Daily News reports on some comments he made to Sean Hannity about Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice: "[Americans] want someone that knows how to negotiate, that knows the art of the deal. In all fairness, I see Condoleezza Rice - she goes on a plane, she gets off a plane, she waves, she goes there to meet some dictator. ... They talk, she leaves, she waves, the plane takes off. Nothing happens, it's a joke, nothing ever happens. I think she's a very nice woman, but I don't want a nice woman. I want someone that's not necessarily nice." On another note, Trump said of Hillary Clinton: "She is a very capable woman. She has done an amazing job as a senator of New York."

Jasonlewisroad.jpg Sex and the City's 'Absolut Hunk' Jason Lewis, who has just started a seven-episode stint as Matthew Rhys' love interest on Brothers & Sisters, tells Extra that having to kiss a man on screen was "scary".

road.jpg Tim Gunn in, Queer Eye out at Bravo. Gunn: "I'm practically delirious that Bravo has given me this incredible opportunity and together, we vow to redefine 'makeovers.' This series aims to be one-part education and two-parts fun, and you'll see me being a fashion therapist, not a svengali."

road.jpg Houston considering moving gay pride parade out of gay Montrose neighborhood. Activist Ray Hill: "I mean, there's queer blood on most of these . There's lesbian blood on some of them. ... We may not all live here anymore, but this is where we built a community. And we built a community because we cared for one another."

road.jpg Madonna threatened in high-speed Fifth Avenue car chase.

Comments

1. well put, DA. enought with the "bravery" to play a gay character. shut up and get on with the role. you're an actor and it's work - (well paid work I might add.) make us believe in your character - not your backstory on how/why/what you've overcome as a promo/PR stunt.

Posted by: resuurect | Jan 15, 2007 10:18:05 PM

2. I have to agree with Noah that the interview was butchered. They wanted something controversial and Jason Lewis somehow gave it to them without meaning to. I don't fault him for the comment, I just fault him for not putting much thought about how his comment would be received.

This reminds me of Hal Sparks' comment about kissing a guy is like kissing a dog. Now, even if did expain that comment later, it was still stupid and unnecessarily inflammatory.

Posted by: Glenn | Jan 15, 2007 10:38:29 PM

3. I'm not a big TV watcher, but Brothers and Sisters is one of the best shows on TV. Skip over the lame Desperate Housewives (only the first season was really great) and stay up for B + S afterwards. I'm willing to give Jason Lewis the benefit of the doubt -- I am sure his interview was totally chopped up. If not, he'll be gone in a few episodes. Kevin's old flame (Scotty) is supposed to come back at some point...

Posted by: k | Jan 16, 2007 12:14:55 AM

4. What if Jason Lewis had expressed fear about kissing someone of a different race? Or a Jew? Would the reaction of those defending him here be the same?

Why do people give it a 'pass' when someone is homophobic, like it's a normal state of being? Yes, homophobia exists in society - but that doesn't mean we need to coddle it.

I could almost forgive Mr. Lewis's stupidity if he was much younger. But he's a big boy and has been in Hollywood a long time - dealing with many many gay people on a daily basis I'm sure.

The fact that this guy was scared of kissing another straight (therefore non-threatening) guy shows how shallow an actor he really is.

Posted by: Johnny | Jan 16, 2007 1:14:49 AM

5. Last year there were similar concerns here in Seattle about moving pride from the traditionally gay neighborhood (Capitol Hill's Broadway) to downtown. Despite lots of disagreement culminating in a separate "rebel pride" the day before the official parade, the parade downtown was by most accounts better than ever before. There were wider sidewalks, wider streets, better facilities for handling larger crowds at the parade and at the festival. Most importantly though, bringing the parade downtown and the festival to the Seattle Center meant the event was the focal point of the whole city that day. Moreover, the bars were still packed afterwards eventhough everybody had to trudge up the hill a bit.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 16, 2007 2:21:13 AM

6. Johnny I totally disagree with you.
    If it concerned race or religion, I'm sure that the results would have been fairly the same

Secondly, homophobia is rarely given a "pass" on this blog, nor do I think that this is an exception. The interview WAS chopped to pieces and he WAS in the middle of a sentence. So yes, it is fair to give him the benefit of the doubt until the complete interview is heard.

Finally, age has nothing to do with this at all. It wouldn't have mattered what Lewis said, because in true sensationalist form, they would have edited him to say what they wanted him to say. How do you think "reality" shows are made?

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 16, 2007 4:56:37 AM

7. Soulbrotha -

Jason Lewis is not a reality star. He is a semi-famous actor with PR reps guiding his every interview.

Posted by: Johnny | Jan 16, 2007 3:08:32 PM

8. Jason Lewis broke up with live-in girlfriend Rosario Dawson in November. Rosario lived with her uncle Frank and his husband starting at age 16, and they were featured in P-FLAG's 'Stay Close' campaign. It appears that Rosario understandably takes gay issues personally.

I wish Jason and Rosario were still together so she could smack him upside the head for saying something stupid. I doubt he meant ill will toward Gays In General, but it was a rather boneheaded thing to say.

Posted by: kane | Jan 16, 2007 5:44:43 PM

9. Johnny,

I know he isn't a reality star. That wasn't my point. I was commenting on the way all media will edit to create senationalism. They do it with lead-in stories for REAL news. So why wouldn't they do the same thing with semi-news about semi-stars? Maybe his PR people guide what he says, but you will never know what he said by watching this clip. Haven't your words ever been taken out of context? Then what's the difference here?

"This isn't about a poor maligned actor being slandered by a chopped up interview. It's about the fact that it's still considered ok to be freaked out by homosexuality."

Umm...considred ok by who exactly? You directed the first half of your post to the commentors on this blog and their supposed willingness to give a "pass" to homophobia, to which I disagreed and still do.
    The second half of your post maligned and slandered Lewis based on a chopped up interview. So yes, that's exactly what it was about.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 17, 2007 2:41:57 AM