"Ex-Gays" | Donnie Davies | News | Religion | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

"Ex-Gay" Donnie Davies Speaks about "The Bible Says" Video

For those of you who were transfixed by the bizarre "The Bible Says" video which appeared on this site the other day (and inspired more comments more quickly than almost anything I have ever posted) and was later taken down by YouTube, Dan Savage at Slog has done some great work that still leaves us wondering, is this guy for real?

By the way, you can still view the original video here...

Via Dan come these two new videos, as well as the text of an IM session between Seattle's Laurence Ballard and Davies. Ballard contacted Savage after IMing with the man who holds the AIM name PastorDavies, which is listed on the LoveGodsWay website.

The video on the left appeared yesterday, following the controversy and the rapid viral spread of the Donnie Davies "The Bible Says" video .

In the video, Davies talks about the video and thanks people at YouTube and MySpace, as well as Andrew Sullivan, whom he calls a "great Christian man". He thanks Sullivan for condemning YouTube's removal of the video. Davies also talks about being an ex-gay.

The video on the right has been on YouTube since Monday. In it Donnie Davies welcomes people to his ex-gay ministries and introduces his videos.

Real or hoax? Savage thinks it's for real. The debate rages on.

UPDATE: Is Donnie Davies really actor/musician/improv performer Todd Quillen?

You may have missed...
A Special Message from a Self-Loathing Closet Case [tr]

Comments

1. Did I hear him say

"I was born with a thyroid condition...And sometimes I try so hard to control those urges. But I just can't I was born this way. But people still wanna, still wanna lampoon me about it and I think that is a terrible ugly way to live..."

??? woah thought he was talking about being gay here. If he knows how much it hurts to be lampooned about something you were born with, and how and how a "terrible ugly way to live" that is, then what the fkc is he doing here lampooning us about being gay? how "God hates a fag."

If God hates us for something we were born with, then that is sure a "terrible ugly way to live" too. He's just lowered God straight down to the same level as the other haters.

Posted by: Kyan | Jan 25, 2007 8:58:18 AM

2. I think that it is so sad that some people would even care that this guy is out there. I mean the more attention people pay to this idiot (and any other homophobic idiot for that matter) the stronger he becomes. I think it's high time we leave this type of news in the dark and not give it any attention. Because even if it's real or fake one thing is certain: it's a HUGE CRY FOR HELP!

Posted by: aamyko | Jan 25, 2007 9:03:28 AM

3. PS

The second video: "...give you some inspiration as your goin' on your fight for freedom."

Haha this guy makes me laugh. I think we've all heard a little too much about "fight from freedom"s for the past 6 years since this President B dude launched his "fight for freedom" too.
    Now look how much better the world has become with this "fight."

I don't think we need anymore insipirations for fights from ignorant people at this moment. One huge as draggin war is good enough.

Posted by: Kyan | Jan 25, 2007 9:04:31 AM

4. Where does Andrew Sullivan defend this video?

Posted by: Mike | Jan 25, 2007 9:05:48 AM

5. Sullivan didn't defend the video -- he condemned its removal from YouTube. Judging from his blog, Sullivan thinks it's fake.

Posted by: David | Jan 25, 2007 9:25:39 AM

6. He was "born" with a thyroid condition, a gay condition and apparently a mental condition! This guy cannot be for real. If he is then he is certainly disturbed and needs to seek help!!!

Posted by: RB | Jan 25, 2007 9:38:40 AM

7. Don't bother trying to find holes in the logic of any ex-Gay. When you think about it, the entire endeavor to escape homosexuality through prayer and faith is pointless, so the gaps in reason are to be expected.

Finally, if this is supposed to be parody or a joke, it bombed. If the purpose was to get tons of attention without having anything to say about the ex-gay movement, then mission accomplished. The only thing this guy has achieved is getting us to type and speculate ad naseum.

The problem with trying a subtle approach to parody is that the ex Gay movement does a good job of lampooning itself. So if you're going to go to this much trouble, you have to really go for the funny bone to make ex Gays look worse than they already do.

Davies hasn't done that. All he's done is look exactly like an ex Gay - more pathetic than funny.

Posted by: mark m | Jan 25, 2007 9:40:40 AM

8. 'thank you andrew sullivan for getting behind me'

hmmmm

he wishes.

Posted by: Andrew | Jan 25, 2007 9:41:51 AM

9. The "getting behind me" reference makes me think this is all a joke. It's just too over the top.

Posted by: Scott | Jan 25, 2007 9:48:20 AM

10. At least he shaved that hideous mustache.

Posted by: Aaron | Jan 25, 2007 9:57:49 AM

11. I agree about the Andrew Sullivan comment, that was sort of the flag that this thing is not for real. Judging by his list of "gay bands" on his website, this guy's obviously very aware of who is gay and who's not. By his own logic, he wouldn't give any credence to someone like Andrew Sullivan, who is openly gay. I think it actually may have been a slight at Andrew Sullivan-- a rare personality who strives to be pro-Christian and pro-gay at the same time. But anyway, I find it hard to believe that a self-proclaimed pastor would sing so happily, "God hates a fag". I mean Christians are fully capable of hate, especially toward gay people, but this seems too overt even for them.

Posted by: James | Jan 25, 2007 10:12:17 AM

12. oh wow. i've read towleroad faithfully for so long now, and never once commented, but this is just too much.
    donnie davis is beyond genius. his work is more than simple parody (which may explain why so many here are missing it), it is pure subversive guerrilla warfare against the establishment! stephen colbert earned himself a keynote address in front of top republicans, and we all revelled in how he pulled the wool over their eyes. sascha baron cohen was ali g and borat and won himself a golden globe, and we all loved his antics and impropriety.
    donnie davis is 100% absolutely and clearly creating such a cognitive dissonance, because he is hoping to fool the neo-cons and wanna be ex-gays and homophobes out there, which is perfect! look for the clues, people, look for all the hidden messages and the shout-outs, and outfits and sneaky smiles. this is all a ploy and it's meant for our amusement while the rest of rome burns anyway.
    have peace in your hearts, and less animus against those who persecute us (difficult, i know), and you will see this comedian/strategist in a different light.

Posted by: nolitadude | Jan 25, 2007 10:17:44 AM

13. Those who continue to assert that this is *not* a parody are giving Davies waaaaaaaay too much credit.

Comparing Davies to the genius of Stephen Colbert is absurd. I know Stephen Colbert, and Davies is no Colbert. Colbert lampoons the right; Davies is (at best) a mynah bird.

The best argument made so far for this being a parody is that Davies is so good at mocking the moonbat right that we can't tell the difference. Well, if we can't tell the difference will the moonbats? What impact could this possibly have on them? What impact is it supposed to have on us (other than getting us all to talk about it)?

There is nothing in the song, the videos, the websites, the MySpace page, etc. that leads me to think that Davies is anything but genuine when he sings "God Hates a Fag".

I will willingly admit my error if it is eventually revealed that Davies' schtik is parody - but the more I look at it and read the comments of others the more certain I am that this is no parody.

And no, "nolitadud", we don't need less animus against those who persecute us. We need more!! We need to be intolerant of their ignorance and their bigotry. We need to fight them with every fiber of our being and push them back under the rock they came from. We need to expose them and make it harder for them to spread hatred and bias against us. The fight is far from over and we must confront homophobia and calls to violence whereever we find them.

Posted by: Jonathon | Jan 25, 2007 10:41:57 AM

14. People still think this hoax is for real? As some people pointed out yesterday, nowhere on any of his websites does he ask for money, and that's proof enough for me that he's pulling our leg.

No wonder GWB is president and we're at war in Iraq -- Americans are gullible enough to believe anything they see on the TV.

Posted by: John T | Jan 25, 2007 10:59:59 AM

15. Ok, what I'm tired of reading are smug statements about how some of people here are gullible or don't "get" the joke.

For the record, I'm on the fence. There's enough subliminal tongue in cheek to say it's fake, but there is also enough true life regarding the fundamentalists mind to say it's for real.

If it's supposed to be a joke, would the proponents of this view please explain to the rest of us how it brilliantly exposes the religious right? I don't see the irony beyond the sad inclusion of Cyndi Lauper under "Safe bands" on his web page. That's side splitting irony? Please.

Before you go off on those who don't see the Emperor's New Clothes as you do, at least acknowledge that the intent and purpose behind it is murky at best and forgive those who know the fundamentalist mindset well enough to be alarmed by it.

Posted by: mark m | Jan 25, 2007 11:11:44 AM

16. On a tech geek note, there are two very dependable browser plug-ins (Greasemonkey & VideoDownloader) which allow you to download files from YouTube.

You get the files in FLV (FlashVideo) format so you need to the run the files through a conversion program like iSquint to be able to play them without an FLV player, but then the files are yours & DRM free.

Everything that I mentioned is freeware & just a Google search away. I doubt that making use of them would win you any intellectual property or copyright cases, but for the laymen who wants to have "Dick in a Box" from SNL on his iPod it's great. Plus, it gets around that problem of things of journalistic importance that you link to being TOS(sed) from third-party sites.

Posted by: anon | Jan 25, 2007 11:40:47 AM

17. First time posting here....

I think the second video gives away that this, in fact, is a spoof/hoax. CHOPS? Changing Homosexu*ls into Ordinary People? LOL. Exodus International would NEVER be so blatantly offensive.

Posted by: Lee | Jan 25, 2007 11:47:21 AM

18. I now think it's a hoax. The video today finally convinced me; the whole "thyroid condition" speech. It's wrong to mock him for being fat because he was born with this genetic condition, etc... OK, it's subtle I'll admit, but you can see the ironic point he's making here!

And Mark M, YES I'll admit to you YES it's "murky" as you say. So murky I've been undecided until now. I suspect the reason for this hoax being more opaque than clear is in order to spin it out longer, thus gain more attention to it. A strategy which, it turns out, is working brilliantly.

If the hoax nature had been obvious from the get go we would have all forgotten about this by now.

I think the hoax-i-ness will (gradually) become even more self-evident in future videos/statements. The CHOPS program, heh, this oughta be good...! :o)

Posted by: Jim | Jan 25, 2007 12:18:19 PM

19. nolitadude: I agree with you. This is viral marketing at its finest. You are right in pointing out all the wink-wink moments and references.

It is a well-thought out strategy targeting gay christians.

Posted by: ArtW | Jan 25, 2007 12:19:14 PM

20. I leaning towards parody or hoax with the "gays said I was fat and that hurt!" comment in the first video. He's ex-gay because he was too fat to score?? This is all tongue-in-cheek stuff I suppose.

Posted by: anon | Jan 25, 2007 12:23:35 PM

21. I was also "on the fence" until this new video. Now, I just think the people who are really suffering through this are the Psychedelic Furs for having their classic 1982 hit track "Love My Way" demoralized into Donnie Davies' jingle for "Love gods Way"....Shameful...lol

Posted by: Steven | Jan 25, 2007 12:54:05 PM

22. When the truth is finally confirmed, I think it would be interesting to see the geographic makeup of those who thought it was real and those who assumed it must be a parody.

Posted by: stevo | Jan 25, 2007 1:05:51 PM

23. He's creepy and totally full of shit about the thyroid condition. Did you catch him thanking Andrew Sullivan for "getting behind me"? Ha!

Posted by: shane | Jan 25, 2007 1:08:21 PM

24. This is my first time here and thus my first comment.

First of all, I'll say I've been on the fence as to whether it's real or fake as well.

I knew someone who had thyroid condition that I think she was born with that makes her big so yes, it's a very real condition and one that may not be fixable still. That said, to say that and that it's something he can't change and then turn right around and allude to being able to change is sexual ways, c'mon, get real, how can you not change one thing but obviously be able to change something else that has been proven to be otherwise?

If a hoax, it's a cruel one at that. It's like the old Bee Gees song, I started a Joke, where as I recall, a joke got started and it spiraled out of control. This may be just that with all the murkiness of it, leading people to try and figure it out. I mean, there are literally hundred of self loathing gays who will go to any means to "cure" themselves and this may lead them on needlessly unless they wise up and see it for what it may well be, a hoax/joke.

Also, this whole parody of the ex-gay ministries thing, is necessary as we all know they can't do what they claim and spin stories to try and prove it does work despite the obvious.

I'm sorry, I'm finding it not very funny as the whole idea of even parodying something so debase as the ex gay ministries and why go to such lengths in the first place? And besides, as an openly gay man myself, his messages jar me way too much, joke or not.

Posted by: ciddyguy | Jan 25, 2007 2:19:04 PM

25. An old Bee Gees song?! God, that is so gay.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 25, 2007 2:52:17 PM