Gay Slurs | Isaiah Washington | News | T.R. Knight | Television

Grey's Anatomy's Katherine Heigl Scolds Washington for Slur

Its "Best Drama" award may have been entirely appropriate.

Whatever the truth is about what happened on the Grey's Anatomy set last October, these Access Hollywood interviews with Katherine Heigl and Isaiah Washington reveal that there's still plenty of discomfort with the situation on that production.

Following Washington's Golden Globe red carpet statements I posted about earlier, he was asked about the validity of the incident involving T.R. Knight in the GG press room.

Washington responded: "No, I did not call T.R. a faggot. Never happened, never happened."

Heigl_1Later, visibly disturbed Grey's co-star Katherine Heigl was asked about his response by Access Hollywood's Shaun Robinson. Said Heigl: "I am not okay with it."

Heigl then added: "I'm going to be really honest right now, he needs to just not speak in public. Period. I'm sorry, that did not need to be said, I'm not okay with it...I have no idea what it was, I just find it hurtful…I just feel like this is something that should be very much in house we need to deal with and it's among us and the cast and crew and among Shonda [Rimes, show creator] and the producers. I don't think [Washington] means it the way he comes off…But, T.R. is my best friend. I will throw down for that kid. I will beat you up. I will use every ounce of energy I have to take you down if you hurt his feelings...I don't see how [T.R.] could not be [hurt] under those circumstances. Drawing attention to it and saying the word again is just unnecessary."

WashingtonWashington remains vehement that the on-set incident was completely fabricated by the press and goes on to defend himself to Billy Bush and Nancy O'Dell:

"There is no way I could do anything so vile, and so horrible, not only to a castmate, but to a fellow human being. It's the truth. It did not happen. I was going to hire some other great shiny publicist, but you know what, God laid it on my heart to say it because it was so close. The reports were all wrong. It did not happen. I'm very disappointed that the New York Post actually wrote legitimately about something that was put in a tabloid about some angry person to get some validity to this, and then it just rippled."

Washington also insists that he and actor Patrick Dempsey are the best of friends: "I kiss Patrick Dempsey. We sing 'Ebony and Ivory' everyday since the so-called incident and it hasn't come up. We purposely sing 'Ebony and Ivory' every night since October 9 and nobody has written about it."

Katherine Heigl Lashes Out At Co-Star Over Homophobic Slur [access hollywood interview]

Comments

1. Heaven forbid the tables were turned and TR Knight had dropped the "N" bomb.

Posted by: nyc2 | Jan 16, 2007 5:06:37 PM

2. Even though he denies the original incident, Kat pretty much just confirmed it.

"Drawing attention to it and saying the word *again* is just unnecessary."

Such a dirtbag.

Posted by: Aaron | Jan 16, 2007 5:17:15 PM

3. I have never been able to sit through this show, mostly because I can't stand looking at Pompeo's over-botoxed, puffy 'zellweger' face, but dr. blondie up there seriously rocks. She is my new super hero.

Posted by: mp | Jan 16, 2007 5:17:40 PM

4. Wow, Katherine just endeared herself to every gay men across the country. I found Washingtons comment in the press booth completely unnecessary..Shanda was doing a fine job speaking as the creator of the show; nobody else felt the need to jump in and say anything on their own.Such a good show; the only thing that would make it better is the addition of a couple gay main characters and a new love interest for Sandra Oh when Washington gets the boot.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 16, 2007 5:33:04 PM

5. I don't understand...

"we purposely sing 'Ebony and Ivory' together." That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. Is that supposed to prove his innocence? That just makes him sound like not only is he a homophobe, but also a callous racist and an ignorant a**. I can't believe there are people so self centered and self revolving in this world, who have their heads that far up their own arse in self adulation, to even say such a thing in public, let alone on international television.

I can't stand Heigl as much as I can't bear Ellen Pompeo, Teri Hatcher and Kate Bosworth, but the girl just got points in my book.

Posted by: Derrick | Jan 16, 2007 5:34:27 PM

6. For Chrissake, fire the asshole already.

Katherine gets the prize for most honest response of the day.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 16, 2007 5:48:41 PM

7. "Heaven forbid the tables were turned and TR Knight had dropped the "N" bomb."

You're right that would have been terriblea thing - fortunately he did not. You know this kind of thinking is a bit lazy and really shouldn't be the first place your outrage takes you.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jan 16, 2007 5:49:57 PM

8. "a terrible thing"

Posted by: Giovanni | Jan 16, 2007 5:51:22 PM

9. Well thanks for telling us how to think, Giovanni!

Posted by: jmg | Jan 16, 2007 5:52:28 PM

10. He's weird.

Posted by: anon | Jan 16, 2007 6:08:50 PM

11. Something about Heigl has appealed to me since I first saw her on the late "Roswell" which is saying something since I practically licked the screen everytime its male leads came on. Regardless, she just set a new standard for Hollywoodies to both tell it like it is and friendship.

But, sakes alive, Washington [whom I've always thought was one of the hottest actors of color around] has won the audition for "Career Self-Destroying Asshole." "I want to be gay" was slimy enough; now "we sing 'Ebony & Ivory' everyday"??? Everybody: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6....

Posted by: Leland | Jan 16, 2007 6:11:23 PM

12. As I gay black man I am disgusted that he is still on the show...if Patrick Dempsey or T.R. Knight or anyone else called him the N-word or some other offensive terms for blacks...they would be off the show in a heartbeat...it is shame that this was not done. Many black bloggers such as Rod 2.0 and Keith Boykin did not see Mr. Washington's behavior as cruel and worthy of dismissal. When a black man uses a demeaning word to another person or group, it is NO different than a white person and deserving of the same backlash received by Michael Richards, Mel Gibson and Rosie O'Donnell. Blacks do not have permission to degrade another person. These words are all hurtful and should NOT be sanctioned.

Posted by: Charles | Jan 16, 2007 6:14:23 PM

13. Interesting that Isaiah's character is having trouble with his right hand again. Seems ole Isaiah might be on "watch"...

Posted by: Cory | Jan 16, 2007 6:31:52 PM

14. I'm sorry but people do seem to forget the issue of him playing a gay character and his support in the past on gay rights issues? The time has come for people to see beyond the immediate, beyond what's directly in front of their face at a given moment in time and look at the larger issues and understand that while Isaiah may or may not be the perfect role model for all heterosexual male behavior (when anger erupts almost every individual backs into the areas off limits in normal discourse) he is not homophobic. Any mature person should realize that often when two men fight it is a test of masculinity and dominance and being gay is still seen as less masculine or dominate in our society. Gay men play a similar game when conflict erupts between them as well. He is hardly a homophobe and such allegations are ridiculous as the real evidence of homophobia lie not in a state of delusional anger but in calm rationality.

Posted by: simon | Jan 16, 2007 6:41:39 PM

15. Please, Please, Please let his character die in a fiery crash or some horrible accident!

I've loved Heigl since I first saw her in "Bride of Chucky"...Now I love her even more.

Posted by: stevo | Jan 16, 2007 6:42:21 PM

16. Charles, you are sort of stating the obvious - of course black people should be held to the same standards as whites but the Sienfield Season 7 dvd, which was released the week after the Laugh Factory debacle, went on to sell millions, Mel Gibsons movie opened at number one and was recently nominated for best picture at the Golden Globes (not sure what Rosie has done to deserve a backlash other than being an unapolegetic kickass dike everyday of the week!) so excluding public ridicule I am not sure how it is exactly they were punished for being well... bad people - no one has been fired from anything.

Washington is defintely an asshole and probably a homophobe and should be called out for it and held accountable in some way but his blackness has little to do with his character flaws.

Thanks for missing the point JMG.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jan 16, 2007 6:53:18 PM

17. Why does somebody always have to bring up race? Everytime a black man says something stupid, the n word must come up. That's not gonna do anything but alienate blacks even more.

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Jan 16, 2007 7:12:03 PM

18. "T.R. is my best friend. I will throw down for that kid. I will beat you up. I will use every ounce of energy I have to take you down if you hurt his feelings..."

I just fucking LOVE that! She said "throw down". That's brilliant! I want to hang with her.

Posted by: JR | Jan 16, 2007 7:21:15 PM

19. ....I can appreciate your comment Simon...Ms Heigl should think about trading her righteous indignation and the promises of physical violence on T.R. Knight's behalf for some of the family discretion she speaks of...she's as irritating as Washingtion IMO...and as for this being yet another opportunity for people to debate whether gay slurs or Black slurs are more severe...*YAWN*

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Jan 16, 2007 7:22:37 PM

20. I know that it is in fashion at this point to try to compare the term "Nigger", yes I'm using the word because it's stupid not to, and "faggot". First of all I think it was stupid if Washington used the term and I think he owes TJ Knight an apology. Not us. It's funny to me that the same people who demand that Washington be fired are the same people who defended and made excuses for Gay guy who used the term "Nigger" on the real world and are the same people that have no problem with Shirley Q Liquor.

What this all means to me is that someplace, somewhere there needs to be an honest, realistic conversation about race in the Gay and the Black community. Because there's some serious underling troubles there that no one wants to really talk about.

Posted by: db | Jan 16, 2007 7:37:43 PM

21. Hey DB, I agree that there should be an honest discussion about race and homophobia but I'm not sure what you're talking about.

"the same people who demand that Washington be fired are the same people who defended and made excuses for Gay guy who used the term "Nigger" on the real world and are the same people that have no problem with Shirley Q Liquor."

I've never read anyone defending the use of the word nigger on this site and I don't even know what Shirley Q Liquor is.

Posted by: Brucie | Jan 16, 2007 8:04:21 PM

22. Maybe the show's creator Shonda Rimes deserves some heat for this. Here is her quote after the jerk physically and verbally attacked two of his co-stars.
    "I found (those rumors) not only ridiculous but offensive that we would consider replacing a member of our family," "Grey's" creator Shonda Rhimes told People. "And also the (idea) that one black man was interchangeable with another seemed disturbing to me." Not hard to see who she is sticking up for.

Let's also look at the video Access Hollywood aired tonight. Shonda LAUGHS after the jerk uses the slur once again. She f'ing laughs! Nervous laugh or not, it seems like she may be a big problem in this mess.

Posted by: John | Jan 16, 2007 8:12:02 PM

23. ....Shirley Q Liquor is the stereotyped persona,(a fat black welfare mother of 19 kids, looking for her babydaddies), conceived by a white gay drag queen and performed in blackface...the act draws some controversy as it travels the country...kinda like the reverse of the Wayans bros. schitck in "White Chicks" but of a mammy-fied African American female...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Jan 16, 2007 8:49:45 PM

24. "but the Sienfield Season 7 dvd, which was released the week after the Laugh Factory debacle, went on to sell millions, Mel Gibsons movie opened at number one"

The Seinfeld DVD sold millions because people knew Michael Richards was not the only person on the show and that his comments had nothing to do with the show. Mel Gibson's movie was #1 for 1 week, after a weak box office weekend and a huge PR blitz by Mel and Disney. The movie was not very profitable and has since vanished.

It's a shame that some here claim Heigl should keep quiet about her friend being called anti-gay slurs, even though she has kept quiet for months while the media and the show's executive producer/creator have given Washington a free pass for his comments and attitude.

Meanwhile, we're not supposed to feel sorry for TR Knight or think he's been wronged because of a white man who dresses up as a black drag queen?

Why is it that gay men are so rarely willing to support each other?

Posted by: Jon | Jan 16, 2007 10:28:06 PM

25. I totally agree with Jon. I'm glad that SOMEBODY is finally standing up and saying, look, that word is NOT acceptable, it's a hurtful, derogatory epithet, and it is no longer acceptable for people to use. I say bravo to Katherine Heigl.

Posted by: Joseph | Jan 16, 2007 10:53:45 PM