Great Britain | News | Philip Olivier | Television

In the City Debuts Tonight on BBC America

Here's a sweet romantic clip (via AfterElton) from the British prime time soap Hollyoaks: In the City, which premieres tonight on BBC America with the shortened title In the City. AfterElton features a pictorial preview and rundown of some of the gay and bisexual characters on the show, one of whom is played by pin-up actor Philip Olivier. The show is set in and around the city of Liverpool.

Comments

1. Sorry-ass Cablevision doesn't offer BBC America. Amazing that they can add 400 spanish-language and "international channels" but not BBC. Maybe the retards don't know that the UK is not in America?

Posted by: shane | Jan 25, 2007 2:28:20 PM

2. omG! That was cool! Probably never fly here, though.

Posted by: JE | Jan 25, 2007 2:42:05 PM

3. That's a very sweet scene ... destined to end in tragedy, I'm sure. ;)

Travis

Posted by: Travis | Jan 25, 2007 2:47:29 PM

4. Too bad that this is really such a bad show! You'll have to sit through a lot of trash TV before you get to see that clip (It's not until the very end of the series.)

Posted by: Fawkes | Jan 25, 2007 2:48:03 PM

5. Too bad the clip was so dark! I could hardly see anything. Very sweet though.

Posted by: anon | Jan 25, 2007 2:50:14 PM

6. Although I'm very pleased to see more gay contenant especially as primary characters.
    According to Afterelton...the actors are all straight.Why?
    In an industry chaulked full of openly gay and hot actors...why not at least one?

Just asking the question.

Posted by: griffin1573 | Jan 25, 2007 2:57:19 PM

7. anyone know the music that's playing in that scene?
    SO fuckin' sweet, that moment...
    K

Posted by: kile | Jan 25, 2007 3:36:17 PM

8. The song playing is "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol.

Posted by: andy | Jan 25, 2007 3:58:08 PM

9. Time Warner cable is showing the show @ 10pm EST. As for for the straight playing gay, BBC also has openly gay actor John Barrowman, who Andy has featured here many times, playing on both Dr. Who and Torchwood. Great clip bellow.

I don't buy the argument about straight playing gay, if so does that mean that gays can't play straight? If you have a rapist or murder in a show do you have to hire one as well?

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 25, 2007 5:35:12 PM

10. working with gays or lesbians playing straight while attempting to revolutionize social stigmas or misunderstandings against gays....when they're supposed to breathe freely -- it certainly doesn't rank up there in my books as groundbreaking when choking themselves like that....seems like a good idea -- this clip if viewed. it's amazing how drab and uptight some visitations have been....seething hate beneath the surface reminds me of that hate that has been directed towards the united states. we even saw that in 2001 and other times. beneath it all, it's exploitation and prejudice that served a purpose....in the end, most of that business didn't "REALLY" do much of anything positive. poor planning -- me thinks. In The City -- Sweet.

Posted by: ricardo | Jan 25, 2007 6:21:52 PM

11. "Although I'm very pleased to see more gay contenant especially as primary characters.
    According to Afterelton...the actors are all straight.Why?
    Just asking the question."
    Posted by: griffin1573

I love these kind of questions :) and I think they have to be asked loudly until the industry pays attention.

I'm not about to simply celebrate *any* gay character on TV, without looking at the social ramifications of their portrayal (the fact most of these scenes are plain ugly and represent nothing about the beauty and depth of real gay relationships), & the politics behind it (the fact gay actors are discriminated against when it comes to playing these very roles). That's giving my o.k to this erronous exploitation of my culture. I'm not buying.

Posted by: Da | Jan 25, 2007 7:45:28 PM

12. Britain does gay tv better. Now if only they could do something about the non-stop gay bashing.

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Jan 25, 2007 10:20:24 PM

13. Memories of my first love, as being born in Liverpool, snatching a quick kiss and a cuddle was all we could have.

A time and fella I will never forget.

Posted by: Bazza | Jan 25, 2007 11:25:46 PM

14. "Memories of my first love, as being born in Liverpool, snatching a quick kiss and a cuddle was all we could have.

A time and fella I will never forget."

Awww... that remark is as sweet as the clip. I'll try and see how it all works with that series. I love my BBC America.

Posted by: xavier | Jan 26, 2007 7:33:03 AM

15. fangirlhater, what 'non-stop gay-bashing'??

Posted by: brainiac_amour | Jan 26, 2007 8:21:07 AM

16. Note, although this is on BBC America, it was not made by the BBC and was shown on a commercial digital channel in the UK (E4).

Philip Olivier is hot and has many, many gay fans in the UK.

Posted by: Leo | Jan 28, 2007 12:09:37 PM