In the City Debuts Tonight on BBC America

Here’s a sweet romantic clip (via AfterElton) from the British prime time soap Hollyoaks: In the City, which premieres tonight on BBC America with the shortened title In the City. AfterElton features a pictorial preview and rundown of some of the gay and bisexual characters on the show, one of whom is played by pin-up actor Philip Olivier. The show is set in and around the city of Liverpool.

Comments

1. shane says

Sorry-ass Cablevision doesn’t offer BBC America. Amazing that they can add 400 spanish-language and “international channels” but not BBC. Maybe the retards don’t know that the UK is not in America?

2. griffin1573 says

According to Afterelton…the actors are all straight.Why?
    In an industry chaulked full of openly gay and hot actors…why not at least one?

Just asking the question.

3. patrick nyc says

Time Warner cable is showing the show @ 10pm EST. As for for the straight playing gay, BBC also has openly gay actor John Barrowman, who Andy has featured here many times, playing on both Dr. Who and Torchwood. Great clip bellow.

I don’t buy the argument about straight playing gay, if so does that mean that gays can’t play straight? If you have a rapist or murder in a show do you have to hire one as well?

4. ricardo says

working with gays or lesbians playing straight while attempting to revolutionize social stigmas or misunderstandings against gays….when they’re supposed to breathe freely — it certainly doesn’t rank up there in my books as groundbreaking when choking themselves like that….seems like a good idea — this clip if viewed. it’s amazing how drab and uptight some visitations have been….seething hate beneath the surface reminds me of that hate that has been directed towards the united states. we even saw that in 2001 and other times. beneath it all, it’s exploitation and prejudice that served a purpose….in the end, most of that business didn’t “REALLY” do much of anything positive. poor planning — me thinks. In The City — Sweet.

5. Da says

“Although I’m very pleased to see more gay contenant especially as primary characters.
    According to Afterelton…the actors are all straight.Why?
    In an industry chaulked full of openly gay and hot actors…why not at least one?
    Just asking the question.”
    Posted by: griffin1573

I love these kind of questions :) and I think they have to be asked loudly until the industry pays attention.

I’m not about to simply celebrate *any* gay character on TV, without looking at the social ramifications of their portrayal (the fact most of these scenes are plain ugly and represent nothing about the beauty and depth of real gay relationships), & the politics behind it (the fact gay actors are discriminated against when it comes to playing these very roles). That’s giving my o.k to this erronous exploitation of my culture. I’m not buying.

6. xavier says

“Memories of my first love, as being born in Liverpool, snatching a quick kiss and a cuddle was all we could have.

A time and fella I will never forget.”

Awww… that remark is as sweet as the clip. I’ll try and see how it all works with that series. I love my BBC America.

7. Leo says

Note, although this is on BBC America, it was not made by the BBC and was shown on a commercial digital channel in the UK (E4).

Philip Olivier is hot and has many, many gay fans in the UK.