Great Britain | Jake Shears | London | New York | News | Provincetown | Scissor Sisters

News: Beefeaters, Provincetown Pirate Cash, Brandon Davis, Dirt

road.jpg A guide to the 50 best webcams in New York City. (via curbed)

Bnyroad.jpg Jake Shears in Baby New Year diaper dance.

road.jpg 14-year-old boy is youngest ever to cross Atlantic solo, from Gibraltar to Antigua. Mom: "I did get quite scared when I found out he had to tie a rope around his waist and dive into the water to fix something, and when he was talking about sharks. But you cannot expect your kids not to go out. You don’t want them staying at home, fixed to the computer. They need to be out there, fulfilling their ambitions, otherwise life will pass them by. I just wish more kids had the opportunity to do these things."

road.jpg Critics aren't digging Courtney Cox's Dirt. For the record, neither did I.

Beefeaterroad.jpg After 522 years, Tower of London to get first female Beefeater.

road.jpg Provincetown to create its own barter currency: Dune Doubloons. "The Unitarian Universalist Meeting House is behind the idea — slated to be rolled out on Jan. 15 — to create a local, legal barter currency that residents can use to exchange skills and services. UU Meeting House Rev. Alison Hyder said most people living in town have a skill, resource or interest that could be of use to someone else. By using the paper barter currency, called 'dune doubloons,' residents can pay for a pie or putting up storm windows or guitar lessons without using real cash. 'Affordability is obviously one of the most pressing problems people face here,' Hyder said. 'This will help them stay afloat while saving ‘real’ money for other bills.'

road.jpg Have you ever looked up gluttonous pig in the dictionary?

Comments

1. sorry, but i just don't get the fascination w/jakke shears or scissor sisters for that matter.

Posted by: hoya86 | Jan 3, 2007 10:22:19 AM

2. I don't know what it is exactly about Brandon Davis but when I see him I really do get grossed out. He is just so skeevy and physically repulsive.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jan 3, 2007 11:12:09 AM

3. ANY show that starts running promos August 1, for a premier in January is destined to be total crap. I sat through the entire Dirt premier last night cursing that I couldn't find the remote. Courtney Cox tried bringing depth to the shallow role, but alas, "too much, too soon" always feels like "poor little evil girl". The only reason to watch it would be to see Rick Fox (NBA hottie) bottoming for a hooker with a strap-on.

Posted by: invisiboy | Jan 3, 2007 11:42:02 AM

4. That shot of Jake is from their free New Years Eve concert in Berlin. Check it out on the Nokia concert stream website...click on Berlin to watch....

The crowd was bored to tears...seriously the band had to continually begin each new song by saying things like...sighh, well maybe this will get a response....

OUCH

Posted by: Randy | Jan 3, 2007 12:05:42 PM

5. I don't understand why P-town needs its own currency? If there's a floating exchange rate with the dollar, nothing will really change, unless they use price controls in their new currency--but they could do that under the old one too. Anything that's purchasable with dubloons will also be purchasable with dollars, so people will just shift around their payment methods without actually changing anything.

The downside: an hour of service or product creation is worth only $10 of dubloons, no matter what you're doing, because the creators believe "everyone's time is worth the same." So if your hour of work nets you more than that in dollar equivalants, you'll do it for dollars and not dubloons. Nobody will do any work for dubloons with a wage higher than $10/hr. This is a really bizarre wage control scheme, and I don't think many people are going to react the way the council thinks. There's a reason communism didn't work....

There are only two advantages to this, as this gay economist sees it: P-town will be able to have an independent monetary policy to isolate it against local business cycle conditions, and prostitution will be legal because there's no actual "sale" of services, just a trade. I'm not sure about the legal technicalities of the latter point, but neither of these seems to justify the transaction costs of having an additional currency and whatever distortions arise from the wage control.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 3, 2007 12:48:50 PM

6. Tom Shales in the Post likes DIRT -- but he really doesn't know LA, celebrity culture or dicey media for that matter. But he is not often wrong. FYI! DB

Posted by: DAVID B. | Jan 3, 2007 12:54:27 PM

7. I thought Dirt was very compelling, although I must admit in the first few minutes I was concerned that it would suck.

Once they got into the life of the schizophrenic photog and did all that filmic manifestation of his illness, I got hooked, and then it was all a great ride until the end.

I was such a fan of that TV show that Courteney did (a little thing called Friends) that it's hard for me to imagine her as anything else (it was 10 years of Monica, after all), but by the end of the show I was buying her as a much (oh, but so much) better looking version of Bonnie Fuller.

Posted by: Joe Bua | Jan 3, 2007 1:28:46 PM

8. The crowd at the Berlin New Years show was like that pretty much the entire night. No act really got them excited, so I have no clue why they were all there. But the Scissor Sisters themselves were good.

Posted by: lashawna | Jan 3, 2007 1:46:47 PM

9. Jack Shears (just this minute get the Shears/Scissors connection--I'm slow) isn't a world-class experience. They are are simply a bunch of nelly queens who are stuck inbetween those awkward H.S. and Junior College years. Regretfully, 10 years later. Mildly amussing, but not to be taken for anything significant.

Posted by: bill | Jan 3, 2007 3:34:10 PM

10. I've been a fan of Jake Shears ever since he made that flamboyant debut on SNL. I like artists who dare to bring a bit of color and camp on the stage.

Posted by: DA | Jan 3, 2007 4:06:52 PM

11. Give me Jake Shears over the OTHER Jake everyone here seems to fawn over any day.

Posted by: Ron | Jan 3, 2007 9:14:57 PM