Gay Slurs | Isaiah Washington | News | T.R. Knight

BigGayDeal.com

Report: Isaiah Washington Checks into Treatment Center

Washington1_1I wasn't aware they had rehab centers for bigots but Grey's Anatomy actor Isaiah Washington entered a "residential treatment facility" this morning, according to Life & Style Weekly.

According to their source: "ABC has told him he must enter a program to examine why he would say such hateful words."

Maybe some permanent time off would help Washington examine his words more closely.

UPDATE:
Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes and Isaiah Washington release statements.

Rhimes:

"I speak for all the executive producers here at Grey's Anatomy when I say that Isaiah Washington's use of such a disturbing word was a shocking and dismaying event that insulted not only gays and lesbians everywhere but anyone who has ever struggled for respect in a world that is not always accepting of difference.

We’ve been working within the Grey’s family as well as with ABC and Touchstone Television to address the issue in a way that underscores the gravity of the situation while giving us all a foundation for healing. We applaud and encourage Isaiah's realization that he needs help and his subsequent choice to seek immediate treatment for his behavioral issues.

We appreciate the support the fans have always given our show, particularly during this stressful time. Creatively, we continue to strive to make the best television we can with the hope that our show reflects the talent, hard work and professionalism of our cast and crew."

Washington:

"With the support of my family and friends, I have begun counseling. I regard this as a necessary step toward understanding why I did what I did and making sure it never happens again. I appreciate the fact that I have been given this opportunity and I remain committed to transforming my negative actions into positive results, personally and professionally."

Read: Isaiah not getting fired.

Comments

1. Still with you Andy. ABC should give him mandatory permanent time off.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 24, 2007 2:39:02 PM

2. Maybe it's the same one that Rep. Foley and Rev. Haggard went to. Wouldn't that be a fun time?

Posted by: JT | Jan 24, 2007 2:39:24 PM

3. A ten step program for bashers and homophobes? Should we start making a list now of who needs to enter that?

Posted by: matthew | Jan 24, 2007 2:43:26 PM

4. I wouldn't trust anything said by "Life & Style" magazine. They're the rag famous for announcing Tom & Katie were to split (they haven't), and other similar b.s. I think it's well established that most of their articles are junk. I'll believe Washington is in rehab when someone else reports it.

Posted by: dpnash | Jan 24, 2007 2:47:47 PM

5. Kristin Vietch from E! is reporting the following:

Isaiah Washington might be on his way out.

I just received word from a highly placed source within the Touchstone/ABC family that one option ABC and Disney executives are considering is firing Isaiah Washington from Grey's Anatomy, effective immediately, without having him appear in any kind of farewell episode.

According to this reliable source, if the network does follow through with this option, the producers are likely to run a full-screen announcement at the beginning of the first Burke-less episode that announces Isaiah Washington is no longer part of the show.

I'm also told by various sources that the loss of Preston Burke is not an easy task for Grey's writing staff to deal with, given that he has a major storyline (including a life-changing event) coming in the next few episodes that airs during February sweeps. Those episodes have already been shot.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 24, 2007 2:50:53 PM

6. I do hope you are correct, Chris; for if he squirms out of this through an effing "rehab" sojourn, that is lame, lame, lame..

I still think they are taking FAR too long with this, he should be dumped, NOW.

IMHO, of course..

Posted by: kile | Jan 24, 2007 2:54:26 PM

7. Celebirties in rehab = PR Damage Control.

When are people going to figure out that authenticity is the way to go?

Posted by: Dean | Jan 24, 2007 2:57:36 PM

8. The article says he was "seen entering a facility" - so which facility is it? I'm sure their website would have information on their "anti-gay bigotry" program.

I think it's all a bunch of hooey that'll allow him to get out of sight and lay low for a while.

Posted by: PDQ | Jan 24, 2007 2:57:46 PM

9. Chris, I think your 'IMHO' should be changed to my brother's saying, 'IMHBAO'--In My Humble But ACCURATE Opinion.

I could not agree with you more. This whole thing is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

God forbid Hollywood should ever do anything in an ethical manner. Fire him? Of course not! Just give the public lots of good PR to feast their eyes on so our little TV show can go on unaltered.

It's pathetic, and I'd be willing to bet that the rest of the cast and crew of 'Grey's', many of whom have been more than candid about their opinions of Mr. Washington, would prefer that he be removed from the show as well.

Posted by: John | Jan 24, 2007 3:03:16 PM

10. Has Grey's Anatomy ever done a story line about AIDS?

Posted by: ellis | Jan 24, 2007 3:09:17 PM

11. REHAB is probably at some luxury spa. There is no rehab for bigotry. Unless their zapping his brain with electricity, unfortunately. He's getting a vacation and will be back on the show. Nothing will be done.

Posted by: ousslander | Jan 24, 2007 3:09:52 PM

12. Wow- rehab for bigots that's rich! Did not know that was an option but who am I to be surprised.

As for the show, can't stand it, but I imagine that they are waiting to see if his move into rehab helps blow this over and if it does he can return triumphantly "rehabbed" to the set. If public sentinment is not satisfied by that, then yes he goes, but it won't be some now-you-see-him, now-you don't thing w/an annoucement preceding the episode. Instead, there will be a "very-special" Grey's Anatomy where his character bravely and w/out hesitation throws himself on top of a grenade or a sucide bomber or something similarly heroic. There will be lots of tears and violins but he'll be gone.

that's my prediction...along w/katie holmes having an affair with Victoria Beckham. just kidding.

Posted by: hoya86 | Jan 24, 2007 3:20:03 PM

13. That is SO insulting to our intelligence. Is this like "bad kid" time--> like time-out-in-the-corner time? Yeah, I'm sure all those thugs who beat the shit out of me in grade school would line up piously now and apologize, and it would give me NO SATISFACTION at all.

Posted by: stony_curtis | Jan 24, 2007 3:25:13 PM

14. The simple solution for what ABC/Touchstone and the exec prodcuders should do is for everyone to stop watching the show and let their ratings sink. From a high of winning the golden globe to having the worst t.v. ratings in a month's time should get the message past the blinders those people are wearing.

Posted by: DKNATL | Jan 24, 2007 3:33:38 PM

15. If the GLBT accepts corporate pretty words as the end of this - we deserve what we get.

Posted by: rjp3 | Jan 24, 2007 3:33:49 PM

16. This Washington crap really irks me. If he were not african american and had made a racial slur, he would have been fired already. There's still one group left that it's okay to hate . . .

Posted by: andy | Jan 24, 2007 3:36:05 PM

17. Just fire the guy already! It's an ensemble cast and he is expendable. They should keep him on for three or four more episodes, during which his hand injury gets progressively worse or he does something inexcuseable to a hospital staffer. On the final show he is let go from Seattle Grace. Imagine the how many people will tune is to the "Burke Gets Fired" episode. It will be ratings gold!

Posted by: stevo | Jan 24, 2007 3:36:38 PM

18. BETTER YET, dont fire him YET;

GIVE HIM FLESH EATING BACTERIA.....have it completely take over his body with fetid carbuncles opening up and swelling pus and blood from his pores...let his hands fall of, his feet...too, and finally have the bacteria attack his black nigger eyes, and his viscious nigger mouth.

Posted by: tom | Jan 24, 2007 3:40:03 PM

19. Even if he doesn't get fired right away, I just hope the producers/ABC learned that they need to shoot some alternative scenes to be able to get rid of Burke in the future if the rehab doesn't work on Washington!!!

Posted by: schnurzelpups | Jan 24, 2007 3:45:12 PM

20. This story and these posts are becomming increasingly bizarre.

Posted by: anon | Jan 24, 2007 3:47:08 PM

21. Let me remind you of the petition to have this creep fired:

I didn't sign it before, but I have now.

Posted by: BeeDee | Jan 24, 2007 3:47:22 PM

22. Isaah will not be fired over this incident. Isaah is black and the show's creator is also black. End of discussion.

Posted by: Chesnut | Jan 24, 2007 3:52:49 PM

23. Thomas/Tom,

So Washington's use of the word faggot makes you decide to call him a nigger? How childish of you. But what is even worse is you are a coward because we all know the only time you will ever show your racist bs is by hiding behind a computer screen. Be a man and talk this noise in public instead of being the scared punk you are.

Posted by: James | Jan 24, 2007 3:54:05 PM

24. It’s a good thing his PR people haven’t found this blog yet. They are all over the blogs that are critical of Washington and leaving fawning comments about what “a good guy he is, really.” I’m sure they are hoping the positive comments become viral.

Posted by: ggreen | Jan 24, 2007 3:55:41 PM

25. Chesnut,

So black folk stick together, huh? We own Hollywood right?

peace