Report: Isaiah Washington Checks into Treatment Center

Washington1_1I wasn’t aware they had rehab centers for bigots but Grey’s Anatomy actor Isaiah Washington entered a “residential treatment facility” this morning, according to Life & Style Weekly.

According to their source: “ABC has told him he must enter a program to examine why he would say such hateful words.”

Maybe some permanent time off would help Washington examine his words more closely.

UPDATE:
Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes and Isaiah Washington release statements.

Rhimes:

“I speak for all the executive producers here at Grey’s Anatomy when I say that Isaiah Washington’s use of such a disturbing word was a shocking and dismaying event that insulted not only gays and lesbians everywhere but anyone who has ever struggled for respect in a world that is not always accepting of difference.

We’ve been working within the Grey’s family as well as with ABC and Touchstone Television to address the issue in a way that underscores the gravity of the situation while giving us all a foundation for healing. We applaud and encourage Isaiah’s realization that he needs help and his subsequent choice to seek immediate treatment for his behavioral issues.

We appreciate the support the fans have always given our show, particularly during this stressful time. Creatively, we continue to strive to make the best television we can with the hope that our show reflects the talent, hard work and professionalism of our cast and crew.”

Washington:

“With the support of my family and friends, I have begun counseling. I regard this as a necessary step toward understanding why I did what I did and making sure it never happens again. I appreciate the fact that I have been given this opportunity and I remain committed to transforming my negative actions into positive results, personally and professionally.”

Read: Isaiah not getting fired.

Comments

1. JT says

Maybe it’s the same one that Rep. Foley and Rev. Haggard went to. Wouldn’t that be a fun time?

2. matthew says

A ten step program for bashers and homophobes? Should we start making a list now of who needs to enter that?

3. dpnash says

I wouldn’t trust anything said by “Life & Style” magazine. They’re the rag famous for announcing Tom & Katie were to split (they haven’t), and other similar b.s. I think it’s well established that most of their articles are junk. I’ll believe Washington is in rehab when someone else reports it.

4. Chris says

Kristin Vietch from E! is reporting the following:

Isaiah Washington might be on his way out.

I just received word from a highly placed source within the Touchstone/ABC family that one option ABC and Disney executives are considering is firing Isaiah Washington from Grey’s Anatomy, effective immediately, without having him appear in any kind of farewell episode.

According to this reliable source, if the network does follow through with this option, the producers are likely to run a full-screen announcement at the beginning of the first Burke-less episode that announces Isaiah Washington is no longer part of the show.

I’m also told by various sources that the loss of Preston Burke is not an easy task for Grey’s writing staff to deal with, given that he has a major storyline (including a life-changing event) coming in the next few episodes that airs during February sweeps. Those episodes have already been shot.

5. says

I do hope you are correct, Chris; for if he squirms out of this through an effing “rehab” sojourn, that is lame, lame, lame..

I still think they are taking FAR too long with this, he should be dumped, NOW.

IMHO, of course..

6. Dean says

Celebirties in rehab = PR Damage Control.

When are people going to figure out that authenticity is the way to go?

7. PDQ says

The article says he was “seen entering a facility” – so which facility is it? I’m sure their website would have information on their “anti-gay bigotry” program.

I think it’s all a bunch of hooey that’ll allow him to get out of sight and lay low for a while.

8. John says

Chris, I think your ‘IMHO’ should be changed to my brother’s saying, ‘IMHBAO’–In My Humble But ACCURATE Opinion.

I could not agree with you more. This whole thing is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

God forbid Hollywood should ever do anything in an ethical manner. Fire him? Of course not! Just give the public lots of good PR to feast their eyes on so our little TV show can go on unaltered.

It’s pathetic, and I’d be willing to bet that the rest of the cast and crew of ‘Grey’s’, many of whom have been more than candid about their opinions of Mr. Washington, would prefer that he be removed from the show as well.

9. says

REHAB is probably at some luxury spa. There is no rehab for bigotry. Unless their zapping his brain with electricity, unfortunately. He’s getting a vacation and will be back on the show. Nothing will be done.

10. hoya86 says

Wow- rehab for bigots that’s rich! Did not know that was an option but who am I to be surprised.

As for the show, can’t stand it, but I imagine that they are waiting to see if his move into rehab helps blow this over and if it does he can return triumphantly “rehabbed” to the set. If public sentinment is not satisfied by that, then yes he goes, but it won’t be some now-you-see-him, now-you don’t thing w/an annoucement preceding the episode. Instead, there will be a “very-special” Grey’s Anatomy where his character bravely and w/out hesitation throws himself on top of a grenade or a sucide bomber or something similarly heroic. There will be lots of tears and violins but he’ll be gone.

that’s my prediction…along w/katie holmes having an affair with Victoria Beckham. just kidding.

11. says

That is SO insulting to our intelligence. Is this like “bad kid” time–> like time-out-in-the-corner time? Yeah, I’m sure all those thugs who beat the shit out of me in grade school would line up piously now and apologize, and it would give me NO SATISFACTION at all.

12. DKNATL says

The simple solution for what ABC/Touchstone and the exec prodcuders should do is for everyone to stop watching the show and let their ratings sink. From a high of winning the golden globe to having the worst t.v. ratings in a month’s time should get the message past the blinders those people are wearing.

13. andy says

This Washington crap really irks me. If he were not african american and had made a racial slur, he would have been fired already. There’s still one group left that it’s okay to hate . . .

14. stevo says

Just fire the guy already! It’s an ensemble cast and he is expendable. They should keep him on for three or four more episodes, during which his hand injury gets progressively worse or he does something inexcuseable to a hospital staffer. On the final show he is let go from Seattle Grace. Imagine the how many people will tune is to the “Burke Gets Fired” episode. It will be ratings gold!

15. tom says

BETTER YET, dont fire him YET;

GIVE HIM FLESH EATING BACTERIA…..have it completely take over his body with fetid carbuncles opening up and swelling pus and blood from his pores…let his hands fall of, his feet…too, and finally have the bacteria attack his black nigger eyes, and his viscious nigger mouth.

16. says

Even if he doesn’t get fired right away, I just hope the producers/ABC learned that they need to shoot some alternative scenes to be able to get rid of Burke in the future if the rehab doesn’t work on Washington!!!

17. James says

Thomas/Tom,

So Washington’s use of the word faggot makes you decide to call him a nigger? How childish of you. But what is even worse is you are a coward because we all know the only time you will ever show your racist bs is by hiding behind a computer screen. Be a man and talk this noise in public instead of being the scared punk you are.

18. ggreen says

It’s a good thing his PR people haven’t found this blog yet. They are all over the blogs that are critical of Washington and leaving fawning comments about what “a good guy he is, really.” I’m sure they are hoping the positive comments become viral.

19. Cory says

So the pattern with celebrities seems to be: make a public display and insult a minority group, deny insult, apologize half-heartedly for said insult, followed by a final admission of personal troubles and admittance into a “treatment” facility. If Isaiah Washinton is not held accountable for his actions and released from his ABC contract and work in Grey’s Anatomy, then this situation will not improve. In the end, the vicious cycle keeps turning and no one seems to be getting off this merry-go-round…

20. HUGO says

Why hasn’t GLAAD grown some balls and decided to actually become a useful device of change rather than to give awards to lame homos like Reichen and demand that Washington be FIRED?!
    or maybe they have and I don’t know about it?

21. Dale says

Because of the systematic attempt at enslaving or eradicating African and Jewish people, offensive words used against them carry more weight than any word intended to harm us as gay people. There’s not the same history attached to “faggot,” and therefore Washington’s slur is not in the same ballpark as Michael Richards’ or Mel Gibson’s. C’mon people, let’s get a little bit of a historical perspective here and develop a thicker skin. Washington has probably faced far more discrimination in his life as black man than I have as a white, gay man.

22. says

Making racial remarks about Isaiah Washington is essentially doing exactly what Isaiah did. If there’s no excuse for the F word then there’s no excuse for the N word. And anyone who uses them can go straight to H word.

23. Phil says

What kind of residential treatment center addresses pure hatred and anger? As far as I know the only residential treatment centers in the US are for children OR for eating disorders or addiction. I’m assuming he has a drug or alcohol problem. I just don’t how snakes try to get out of trouble by going to rehab. I spent 4 months in rehab and I would be offended if someone showed up just to make nice on the PR front. People in residential treatment facilities for drugs and alcohol work hard when they are in there and for someone to show up, because it would be a strategic move to correct something idiotic that they did, is atrocious.

24. HUGO says

Oh nevermind, on GLAAD’s website, you can read their latest press release in which the President of GLAAD, Neil Guiliano is quoted as saying,
    “”We are pleased to see Isaiah seeking help to deal with the issues he alluded to in his public statements and in our meeting with him this past Monday.”

I, for one, don’t want to make amends with Mr. Washington. Saying faggot should be treated with the same disdain as the words nigger, spic, and kyke. I think as a community we should demand his departure because even thoughI understand the value of forgiveness, our country still views homophobia as a defensible transgression, and that needs to stop.

25. dcguy says

Dale,
    Why don’t you head over to Nigeria and see how that bullshit logic flies! They’ll have your faggot ass strung up so fast you won’t know what hit you!

26. Marco says

Hey Dale,

What about Spic or Chink? I guess it’s okay to say that. Latinos and Chinese people just need to develop thicker skins, huh?

27. says

Andy,
    what is it about your site writing that positions your site as a magnet for homo-racists?

I still fail to see the necessary placement of race in this issue. And even if all of your “if he said ‘the n word” arguments were to be taken with a grain of salt, remember Mel Gibson went on an anti-Jewish tirade and his latest movie opened at #1 (granted it quickly sunk thereafter) and “Kramer” as well takes an anti-Black tirade public and Seinfeld’s on late-night TV defending him. We dont’ live in a some totalitarian world where the minute a racial epithet is uttered, heads roll.

and unfortunately, obviously, the same can be said for homophobic epithets.

furthermore, it’s really, really, REALLY disheartening and sad to see so many gay people (who should know better) so casual to be seen as racists.

28. Brian says

Dale, the word “faggot” is also used to describe a bundle of sticks to be used as kindling, historically used to start a bonfire within which undesirable people (including homosexuals) would be burned at the stake. As far as your claim that homosexual people haven’t been enslaved or eradicated, I rather think that the gay men and lesbians who died in German concentration camps would disagree with you. One reason why you might not have realized that homosexuals have been persecuted just as much as other minority groups is that our persecution, unlike that of Jewish people or African-Americans, is still socially acceptable to a large number of Americans. In many other countries, it’s not just acceptable to persecute homosexuals… it’s mandated by law. Therefore we don’t have the objective historical distance that we are just now beginning to have with other minority groups whose persecution (social, political, and otherwise) has become socially unacceptable behavior in Western industrial democracies.

Faggot, therefore, has a quite sinister origin that translates into a vile and menacing contemporary meaning. If we want to have an historical perspective on the use of pejorative language, we might want to start with the history of the oppression of our own kind.

29. Brian says

Derrick, you’re right that seeing so many gay people casually showing their deep-seated racism is disheartening. I’d go further and call it disgusting.

It just goes to show that being a member of a persecuted minority doesn’t mean that one is going to be more sensitive to the fair treatment of others. Folks who think Washington should have been more fair-minded than his white counterparts need only look at this comment thread to see that bigotry is alive and well even among the oppressed. When a bigot belongs to a minority group, it’s often refreshing to see another group that’s even less socially acceptable than yours is… the idea being “well at least I’m not a FAGGOT”…

Sad. Terribly sad.

30. says

EXACTLY, Brian. Thank you.

What’s almost just as sad is the fact that they air out their racist dirty laundry on this site, burdening an otherwise well maintained, informative gay info source.

31. Brian says

Oh, I think that these comments do just as much to keep us informed as the non-bigoted ones… they keep us humble and remind us that while we work to eradicate homohatred and misogynistic behavior, we have some bigotry to address in our own house as well. A little vigilance in this area will go a long way…

32. patrick nyc says

DERRICK

You can see that ANDY removed the post by THOMAS. I notified him as soon as I saw it. Anyone here who sees any offensive remarks should notify ANDY right away, he is always good with removing them. As a GWM I am often saddend to see any kind of bigorty towards anyone, especially fellow gay people on this site. I’m sure you know that they are in the minority.

As for Mr. Washington, I still hope that they fire him. I’m all for forgiveness, but only when I feel it is sincere, and he does not appear to be by his past actions. I plan on taping the show and listing all the companies that advertise, with contact information. Let them know how we feel. Money does not talk, it screams.

33. Larry says

One thing that bothers me about all this is that in addition to popping the F-word, Washington lied through his teeth in several Golden Globe interviews, attempting to make TR Knight look like he had exaggerated the serioussness of the charge.

Even more perplexing is that Washington’s hateblurt eclipsed the fact that he physically assaulted another member of the cast while he was at it. If that ain’t grounds to get your ass fired what’s a little verbal savaging among co-workers?

I really like this show but I may have to stop watching since I’m doing serious damage to my teeth by the grinding that starts every time Washington’s face appears on the screen.

34. miss dna says

Perhaps Dale should join Mr. Washington in rehab. He might learn something. It’s unfortunate that some people seem to think this story of no consequence. But these hateful words are deadly and as the gentleman from GLAAD said, they are often the last thing a gay person hears before being attacked, beaten and/or killed. We must take a stand and speak up for ourselves when this happens.

35. patrick nyc says

BRUCIE if you are tired, just pass it by. No one is forcing you to read the posts or comments. Many of us are just as tired of homophobia and the amount of gay people who just let it slide.

I for one will not let up until he is fired.

36. 000000 says

Damn, this country is going down a road I don’t understand. Any notable public figure must get “counseling” or go to “rehab” to address their latest embarrassment. Meanwhile, there’s practically nothing rehabilitative about the prison system. I don’t know what the chest-beaters were expecting, but obviously most professions would have given Washington a warning and suspension at best. He’s paying with bad publicity, in case anyone needs a lesson in actors’ most prized asset. Flashing your cooch can’t even do that these days. Did Donna Summer ever recover?

37. joe says

I’m a gay man and I don’t think he should be fired. I don’t like him and I reserve the right not to like him. But he’s recieving counseling whether he wants to or not. Firing him over this would send the wrong message to people. Firing him won’t eliminate the problem, at least this way there is a posibility of healing.

38. Mike says

This is bull. Rhimes (err, I mean a P.R. rep) says “Washington’s use of such a disturbing word was a shocking and dismaying event that insulted not only gays and lesbians everywhere but anyone who has ever struggled for respect in a world that is not always accepting of difference. ”
    So shocking that Rhimes laughs after the word was released from the bigot. Where is her apology/explanation?
    Rehab? What a joke. His P.R. person releases after a statement after ABC tells him so and now he seeks counseling because ABC tells him so.

39. Jared says

Are we STILL talking about this?!? With all of the REAL issues facing the gay community around the world, we are concerned with one man calling another man faggot. What is this: high school? Do you think firing Isaiah will make a dent in anyone’s opinions about homosexuality? of course not! He will work again, like every other celebrity who has “atoned” for their sins. The only thing this issue has brought to the forefront is how much racism (among other issues) remains in the gay community. While GLAAD is foaming at the mouth, trying to get someone fired for calling a co-worker faggot, there will not be ONE person who’s opinion of gays has changed.

40. yeahisaidit says

…and let’s not take about the prevalence of the use of fag (queer, queen, dyke, etc.) within our own community, not excusing Washington, but how come that doesn’t call for any counseling or heads to roll?

41. rob adams says

If past pics of various under-40 homophobes is any indication, i bet this treatment center is hot.

42. miss dna says

Jared, this is about self-respect. It is possible to change people. I’ve seen it happen. That’s what education is all about. And though I may not care what some homo-hater thinks of me, I don’t want to hear his ignorant ass bullshit. Either at work, on the street, at home, or the media. Like Aretha said: “R E S P E C T! Find out what it means to me!”

43. Paul says

Entering a facility? Harboring a prejudice means one has to go for “treatment”? Why not just let him live out his life taking whatever consequences it brings him? If he loses his career, fine. If he gets ahead as a result then we have to work harder to counter the prejudice that enables that, but surely medicalizing this guy by forcing him into “treatment” for his thoughts is no better than what they used to do to us (and still do (badly) if ex-gay therapy is any guide). Of course this diatribe presupposes that he IS going for treatment and not a headline scrubbing holiday.

44. Stephen says

Washington should not be fired.
    He has apologized. He realizes he made a mistake. He is going for counseling.
    Let us see if his future actions live up to his words and the fruits of his counseling.
    Okay. END. Next topic…PLEASE!

45. Brucie says

Patrick, I do not let homophobia slide. I just happen to think that we are fighting a losing battle on this one. If he is fired I don’t think it will make anyone’s life any better, including TRs. I hate coming on this site and reading incredibly racist things (not from you by the way, even if I disagree with this I always find your posts very insightful).

46. says

This is blown out of proportion carefully look at the facts take out the fact tr is gay he just wantd pr when i heard the blind item i did not know what show and when i found out what show i thought the “fag” in question was some random assistant This is back to caveman times Arrogant self obsessed pretty boys trying to intimidate each other they both sa rude things one quietly and which ever is least liked gets ridiculed (MAzeratti and Zidane) (Derek Jeter and anybody) The context he used it is though not ethical commonly used as im not ur bitch ur inferior thats . Hes not homophobic. A real outburst like when someone is drunk mel gibson is true during the passion he pulled the some of my best friends are crap then he never really apoligized he said they were to blame for all the wars i wander wat he thinks about the holocaust he can go to iran but people are all like forget that look he has a new movie depicting more people ooh lets watch in this site ur like the black community that rallied around the duke case and cryed racism when it was just some slut crying wolf ( im a black female) I think this is blown out of proportion like the yale singers case

47. philliper says

Man, this topic almost has us at war with one another. I am definitely with Stephen on this.

I don’t believe firing will solve anything. The dude made a mistake..a huge one. Instead of firing Washington and moving on, which will, in effect, sweep this under the rug for ABC, don’t you think it would be better to have him do some educational speaking..maybe tour around and talk to kids about how wrong it was to do what he did? And put the guy on probation of sorts…lets see how he can turn this around to be something positive. Imagine what all those straight ignorant people that watch this show and hear about what is going on will learn from this.

48. DenverKen says

..just have the show’s writers turn his character gay…complete with a few lingering same sex kissing scenes

that oughta take care of it

49. jeffrey wong says

Just to play devil’s advocate here… but a couple of insensitive remarks? Surely that’s worthy of censure but not necessarily firing? I mean community service and treatment or counselling should be sufficient rehabilitation for this. Lookit, if the use of the “f” word, and I say it as a proud gay man, is enough to fire an actor, what the hell is Bush doing in the White House? Isaiah’s job is to give us a compelling character onscreen, which he does. If he and someone else get into a fight over namecalling in public, yah he should be scolded and spanked. But losing his job over words that hurt our feelings? Are we that thin-skinned, or even that vengeful? Let’s not give him so much power. He is an actor after all, not a politician setting laws or a judge enforcing them. We should name it for the bigotry it is then step back. Firing him would just disproportionately create anger and resentment and then there would be no chance of rehabilitating him. It would take something more to bay for blood like this. (*fake cough* Bush *fake cough*)

50. andre says

Since I’m a Gay Black Man, I find it funny to see the argument, between the two actors, to be a gay issue and not a white or black issue.

Truly Grey’s has survived mostly because of str8 women, lesbians and gays. Straight guys are not going to sit down with ice cream and watch this. So to have him booted…Hell that’s more about $$$ than about a GAY issue.

How many of us would stop watching if he stayed? That’s what they are more concerned about.

51. MaskedPoster says

Rhimes should be censured from ABC also. It took her over a week to release a statement from the “Executive Producers” in which they were all in agreement. That’s a crock, she is also a liar. Didn’t she say something at the Globes like .. the original incident didn’t really happen the way the press portrayed it (I’m paraphrasing)! I have no respect for her either.

52. Dr. Pat says

Everytime someone of note(lol)screws up they go running to a treatment centre. I suggest that he made moves on the other guy and he turned him down. Wondering if they have treatment centres for foot in mouth.

Just a thought.

53. rudy says

Many of you are missing the point. Any punishment is not intended to “solve the problem” (I presume you mean homophobia) but, rather, to show that expressions of homophobia in the workplace engender consequences. Imposing a penalty on one bigoted individual will never cure homophobia but it accomplishes an important goal. Meaningful punishment (e.g., firing IW) would send the very clear signal that homophobia will not be tolerated in the workplace. What begins in the workplace then expands into society at large. This is always the chain of progress for civil rights. I do not give a rat’s ass whether you like me or my gay bretheren but I will not permit you to slur my gay family with impunity. Firing IW would also provide an example for gay youth that bullying is not acceptable to society. Why are some of you so willing to “let it go”? Forgive, absolutely, but only the truly contrite and only after the punishment is meted out, accepted, and redress to society given. IW did not merely slur one individual. His use of that particular derogatory term slurred all gay men. He inferred that we are weak and ineffectual. Why do some of you insist on trying to prove his accusation?

54. rock says

Of course he is going into rehab, people want him fired! He made a mistake and let one of his prejudices out! He has a good deal going and is probably scared shitless that he’s going to lose it.
    I don’t ever recall seeing or hearing of him before this show. He would crawl naked across Sunset Blvd. to save his job.

Sign the petition.
    Its not ok to climb out of one prejudiced group to defile another.

55. says

Rehab treatment centers provide the best treatment for rehab addicted people. The staff members of this center are well qualified and knowledgeable. Rehab treatment center give the healthy and friendly environment for rehab addicted people. They usually use urine test, hair test, and saliva test and sweat test to find out the rehab addict. If you want to more information about the rehab treatment center so you can visit the web site.

56. says

Best drug rehab centers give an individualized therapy program, tailored by their experts to meet up your desires. They are obsessive about maintaining your privacy and secrecy. Their outstanding staff consists of qualified, compassionate professionals. Individual or personalized attention is the top notch priority of these centers. It makes all the difference. They offer a beyond compare success guarantee. Follow-up treatment, through their ongoing care after care plan, helps guarantee that you persist to be successful.