Isaiah Washington | News | Patrick Dempsey | T.R. Knight | Television

T.R. Knight Discusses Anti-gay slur on Ellen

As a follow-up to our post this morning, here is video of T.R. Knight's appearance on Ellen.

You may have missed...
T.R. Knight Confirms Details of Washington's Homophobic Slur [tr]

Comments

1. I just hope they fire his ass but they are probably afraid of the heat they will take if they do. Either way it would not hurt to let ABC know how you feel.

Actions always speak loudeer than words.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 17, 2007 3:39:43 PM

2. Thank you Rock Hudson.

Thank you Ellen.

Thank you Rosie.

Thank you Andy Towle.

Thank you to all who have paved the way before me.

The fight rages on but you all have made it not insurmountable.

Posted by: Khem | Jan 17, 2007 3:49:32 PM

3. Guys, we should do something more than discuss and gripe about this issue here. Like sending ABC and the producers of Grey's e-mails to let them know how we feel about this. TR Knight will surely get a big amount of flack over this at ABC and he has to know that he has all our support.

This is almost worse than that Macys/Boston gay pride brouhaha last summer.

Posted by: gabe | Jan 17, 2007 4:02:18 PM

4. Leland,
    You ALWAYS make my day with your sick wit.I love it.

Posted by: Blair | Jan 17, 2007 4:15:16 PM

5. There is an online petition set up to send to ABC calling for Washington to be fired:

Posted by: Robert | Jan 17, 2007 4:35:01 PM

6. TR was charming and humble on Ellen today.

His kindness, humility and exceptional character throughout this whole ordeal is really showing Washington up to be a real jerk who is clueless about what he has done and why it is unacceptable.

The heat is really on Washington now. He got off very easy initially, with no apparent negative consequences, but he just couldn't keep his damned mouth shut.

Here's hoping that Washington will grow up, take responsibility for his stupidity, apologize SINCERELY and make amends with Knight and the gay community. Then we can move on in hope that other people get the message from this incident that homophobia is NOT OK.

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 17, 2007 4:51:15 PM

7. T.R. Knight is my favorite. And despite the fact that there's a lot he "doesn't know", his interview was still endearing and heartfelt. I wish I could find stronger words right now, but none of them seem right. He's an inspiration to me, though. For sure.

Posted by: Thor | Jan 17, 2007 5:07:21 PM

8. Me to ABC:

"I recently viewed T.R. Knight's appearance on The Ellen Degeneres Show, and I sincerely hope that ABC and the producers of Grey's Anatomy have NO intention of reprimanding Knight for telling the truth in the face of Isaiah Washington's denials at the Golden Globes.

Washington's attempts to not only deny, but laugh off the October incident (in which he referred to Knight as a "faggot") were tasteless (esp. the mocking "I love gay"). I do value the character of Dr. Burke on Grey's, and I hope a GENUINE apology will be made by Isaiah."

I got cut off there, which was probably a good thing. I could have rambled on about not wanting to hear a fake non-apology ("If I offended anyone with something I may have done, I apologize..."). And I could have gushed about Knight's classiness in handling this situation. But I digress... :P

Posted by: thegreatpumpkin | Jan 17, 2007 5:22:49 PM

9. I'll ask it now and I'll ask it again. Can I be friends with T.R. Knight? I just want to go to Starbucks with him. Is that so wrong?

(15-year-old teenage girl-style dream sequence over)

Posted by: Harrison | Jan 17, 2007 5:26:58 PM

10. I don't think I've ever really been called a faggot either but either way, it was in a work professional setting and that is totally uncalled for no matter what the situation is and it needs to be addressed and reprimanded. I don't understand why other slurs of other natures (ie racial) are not tolerated but everyone seems to let gay slurs slide.

It's too bad because Isaiah was a terrific actor and while I understand he is ACTING on Grey's Anatomy, I can't but help see him in a different light nowadays. Meanwhile, I need to find me myself a TR Knight! I would have been bumbling myself too if I had to explain it all on national TV.

Posted by: Vance | Jan 17, 2007 5:57:16 PM

11. I saw the Ellen show with TR today and he was so obviously hurt and humiliated by the initial incident and now by having it brought up all over again.

I'm glad TR and Ellen made a public issue of it and allowed a lot of people to see what is happening. The audience gave TR a standing ovation at the end. He may not have been eloquent but his pain was real and apparent.

I suppose the only excuse Washington could make for his stance is that he called TR a faggot behind his back, which in Washington's view makes it something not worth apologizing for.

The difference in response to a black slur and a gay slur is just more evidence that homosexuality is still to many a socially acceptable bias. There's something wrong with Grey's Anatomy's producers to let this go on.

Posted by: jessejames | Jan 17, 2007 6:06:30 PM

12. "I am only reacting to what I saw in this clip - I don't pretend to know this guy, although it seems that a few of you are projecting your own feelings on him as though they are actual character attributes."

I do know him hoya, otherwise I wouldn't have pointed out how shy he is. He is not someone who goes around talking to the press about his personal life--although he's never been closet to people who know him he's not comfortable talking about himself.

Actually, a lot of actors are like that. They're great when they have a script but when they have to talk off-the-cuff, not so much.

Posted by: Brucie | Jan 17, 2007 6:50:23 PM

13. I echo Hoya86's comments regarding TR Knight's interview. There was a whole lot of stammering, "Uhs"..., "I don't knows"...

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 17, 2007 7:05:19 PM

14. Thanks for the contact info. PatrickNYC, Johnny and Robert. Again, to send a letter to ABC:

petition to fire the scum:

to let the naacp know what you think of the scum's image award nomination:
    imageawards@naacpnet.org

*Please write/sign etc. and forward these addresses to many, many more. On the week of MLK's birthday we should be moved to speak up.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 17, 2007 7:53:51 PM

15. I thought the interview was perfect! I was worried Ellen would stop it before TR really went there, but I'm glad she didn't.

What I appreciated is that TR spoke from his heart, and as someone else pointed out on another site sometimes courage is not about "fronting" but being honest. Speak the truth cause it's healing.

Personally I love to bring all those uncomfortable feelings to the surface, and force myself and others to deal with whatever we're tyring to run away from. As gay men we get hurt and humiliated, there's no shame in admitting that. Only truth will set us free!

And if we cannot deal with TR shifting in his chair for a mere 30 seconds, then the gay teen who is considering suicide cannot come out to anyone and describe how much he's hurting inside for being of being called 'weak'.

I think TR did a tremendous service to all those kids.

Posted by: Da | Jan 17, 2007 9:02:07 PM

16. Holy Crap! GLADD now decides to speak out (finally)

The furor over 'Grey's Anatomy' star Isaiah Washington use of an anti-gay slur heated up again Wednesday as Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) President Neil G. Giuliano called on him to to apologize.
    Speaking to the press following the medical drama's Golden Globe win for best TV drama series on Monday, Washington denied that he had used a slur to refer to co-star T.R. Knight during an on-set altercation with fellow co-star Patrick Dempsey. But the openly gay Knight said Wednesday during an appearance on 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show' that Washington had indeed used the slur.

'This kind of anti-gay slur - whether on set or in front of the press - it does more than create a hostile environment for his castmates and the crew of 'Grey's Anatomy,'' Giuliano said. 'It also feeds a climate of hatred and intolerance that contributes to putting our community in harm's way.'

Neither Washington nor ABC executives could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 17, 2007 9:19:59 PM

17. "On one hand, I feel bad for the guy, on the other, he really should have prepared himself better and spoke with some confidence and true grit. It a strange and weak response and awkward for viewers to listen to, in my opinion."

He seems to be very shy, and Washington using that word again the day before his interview probably shattered him even more.

I thought he did a good job of explaining why he wanted to come out, and you could tell from his body language and expression how hurt he was by what Washington has said to him. That's going to have an impact with the public, far more than Shonda Rhimes and her pro-Washington PR blitz ever could.

Posted by: Jon | Jan 17, 2007 9:51:27 PM

18. You know what, 'turd'. Fuck you. Just fuck you for your racism. Spewing out racial slurs doesnt erase what IW did, it doesnt do anything but just make the situation for *everyone* worse. And fuck you, Andy Towle, for allowing this person to spew his hate on your site freely and continuously. Allowing it is tantamount to *condoning* it and *agreeing* with it. If youre going to be against hate speech, be against *all* of it. Period. This isn't a contest

Posted by: Charles | Jan 17, 2007 10:09:00 PM

19. turd,
    If you don't live with him, how will you know whether or not he says faggot or not? Calling Isaiah a 'filthy ape nigger' will not change him or get him fired. All it does is offend the rest of us and make you look like an ass.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 17, 2007 10:16:20 PM

20. Turd is trolling.

Please don't feed the trolls.

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 17, 2007 10:33:11 PM

21. HURRAY! FINALLY... Someone that doesn't make me cringe when he admits he's gay. (i.e., McGreevy, Foley, et. al.)

Face it, the children's saying that "names will never hurt me" is just simply not true. Whenever someone diminishes any other human being we are ALL diminished. The sooner we respect that truth the better off we'll be.

Posted by: Parker | Jan 17, 2007 10:59:47 PM

22. Or pay attention to what gets posted on your site and erase obvious trolling. These racial slurs and this lazy thinking "If you call me x, then I will sink to your level and call all of your kind y just to get my rocks off" has been coming up on here a ton though-it's gone beyond trolling-I am thinking it suggests how a lot of the readers on here think.

Posted by: Charles | Jan 17, 2007 11:01:48 PM

23. Gee, nice to know that T.R. is as goofy in real life as he is on tv. And he actually looks reasonably attractive here! He's usually so fug....kudos to him for the bravery to speak out, though. The "Grey's Anatomy" people are most likely pissed at him for "adding fuel to the fire". Hey, Andy...you really oughta delete turd's comment. It's not that they're not devastating, I used to get mad but now I just pity trolls who have nothing better to do but bore people with statements that would get them fucked up and/or killed in real life(Youtube, one of my favorite sites, is troll heaven...you get used to it). But they set a really negative and dumbed down tone. Definetly not a good vibe. Delete please.

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Jan 18, 2007 12:00:08 AM

24. I have to say I stopped looking at the Ellen show because I felt she was always avoiding the topic of being gay.....but always ...never a conversation..always stupid shit..it was cute in the beginning....but with TR coming on I hope she sees we need a face like hers on TV to show America that homophobia exists everywhere......I don't think she needs to do it everyday...but every once in a while....let's talk gay topics...she made a difference today AGAIN

Posted by: tc | Jan 18, 2007 12:31:39 AM

25. Yeah, Andy, you should really delete Turd's comment.

And yes, I agree with the first poster...is T.R. even ACTING on Grey's?

Posted by: Dylan | Jan 18, 2007 12:33:35 AM