Gay Slurs | Isaiah Washington | News | T.R. Knight | Television

BigGayDeal.com

T.R. Knight to leave Grey's Anatomy?

Believe it when you see it, but MSNBC's Jeanette Walls is reporting that T.R. Knight may be leaving Grey's Anatomy.

TrisaiahAccording to Walls' source, Knight "is so upset about the situation and so disgusted by how it was all handled" that he's ready to go. "He was told not to say anything about the whole incident. He kept his word, but then the whole thing blew up again at the Golden Globes, and when he was asked about it, he basically called Isaiah a liar. He feels that the atmosphere there is so toxic and unhealthy. I suppose things could change and we would stay, but for now, he’s planning to leave the show."

After refusing to comment on the rumor, Knight's rep called Walls to say the story was "completely, one thousand percent false."

What a shame it would be to see Knight leave the show when it's Washington who should be shown the door.

Below, actress Chandra Wilson and the cast of Grey's note Washington's absence as they accept trophies over the weekend at the Screen Actors Guild awards.

You may have missed...
Isaiah Washington Checks into Treatment Center [tr]
Isaiah Washington Meets GLSEN and GLAAD [tr]

Comments

1. ABC needs a new PR team. How the hell can you explain "rehab" for being a bigot? Stupid, condescending move...

That said, it would be nice if the gay community showed equal outrage over the vile racism presented by "Shirley Q. Liquor." That minstrel act is as 1000 times as offensive as any thing said or done by Washington put there's no massive outrage. This makes it seem that there's a double standard. (And please, who the hell cares what RuPaul thinks. He is not the speaker for all gay men of color.)

Posted by: noah | Jan 29, 2007 9:58:38 AM

2. Good riddance, he is a awful actor, and those "romantic" scenes with women are just painful to watch, not at all real.

Maybe they should just get rid of the whole show since he's just too sensitve to deal with the real world, which contains homophobic people, and even Glaad won't be able to change whats in the hearts of the majority of the world with their threats and blowhard rethoric. TR is a wee bit of a drama queen it seems who really needs a clue.

Posted by: Bobby | Jan 29, 2007 10:09:44 AM

3. I love what Chandra Wilson said in her Best Actress speech -- "It's all about those 10 people over there in my cast ... and that other one in rehab."

Posted by: Gregoire | Jan 29, 2007 10:12:05 AM

4. Well at least T. R. got his 15 minutes in. We will probably never see him again on anything, ecspecially ABC due to this even though it wasn't his fault.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 29, 2007 10:25:58 AM

5. Bobby,

I disagree. Knight has been very effective in his role as George O'Malley. His relationships with women have been realistic. O'Malley is a shy, nerdy guy who's never had much luck with women. He's finally breaking out of his shell. Knight has done a great job of growing the character.

I think it's sad when gay folks start knocking an actor's ability to play a heterosexual character because of the actor's personal life. "Acting" should not allow an actor to be anything or anyone.

Prior to the revelations of Rock Hudson's homosexuality, women fawned over Hudson. The same for a lot of other secretly gay men. They were actors who played their parts convincingly.

Actors have often spoken of how fans confuse the characters they play with themselves. An actor who plays a doctor on TV is not a doctor in real life but fans ask medical questions. It's the same with Knight and his George O'Malley character.

Posted by: noah | Jan 29, 2007 10:29:17 AM

6. ....Knight "is so upset about the situation and so disgusted by how it was all handled" that he's ready to go. "

TR Knight was the target here and Washington the poison arrow. If the situation could have been handled differently, in a less disgusting manner, then CERTAINLY TR should have shown some 'cohones' (that's balls) on his Ellen appearance rather than yammer and stutter and wimper (I mean, truly!). TR should find the fortitude to bring himself up to a mature, manly persona, release a statement, go on another talk show, etc. and put this behind him. I hope he does, but I'm skeptical given what's NOT happened yet.

As for Washington, let's judge him by his future actions.

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 29, 2007 10:40:29 AM

7. I agree with Stephen and Noah. However, I do take exception to the Shirley Q Liquor character. It's in poor taste, to be sure... what memorable drag show isn't... but I think I can tell the difference between actual racism and a drag queen making a parody out of a stereotype. The guy who does Shirley Q Liquor also does another character named Betty Butterfield, and I don't see poor white folks getting offended by it...

Posted by: Brian | Jan 29, 2007 10:49:25 AM

8. " . . . WE would stay . . ." Anybody else notice that? I thought maybe Andy made a typo, but it's in the original, too.

Posted by: Freddie | Jan 29, 2007 10:59:08 AM

9. Since I don't watch Grey's Anatomy and didn't see TR's interview on Ellen, I cannot say much about TR's Anatomy role or his demeanor during the Ellen interview. What is apparent in all of this is the lack of clarity and outrage in the response to the "faggot" attack. It shows that society is still trying to determine if protecting us homos is the right thing to do. To many of our fellow Americans, "faggot" remains an okay term to use. The ABC response of first trying to keep the whole issue under wraps, and then later sending Washington to his corner is evidence of how America is still confused about how they feel about us and should treat us. Obviously, it's up to us to remain vocal and to continue pointing out how ubiquitous and entrenched hatred and prejudice of gays is an everyday event in our society.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 29, 2007 11:12:36 AM

10. first off, never seen the show - but have followed this odious bruhaha from the 'git - that said:

this smacks more than a little as P.R. DAMAGE CONTROL - PHASE II straight out of the Washington camp - it's an oft-used
    Bush/Neo-Con tactic - the song goes like this:

Spin the facts just a little to blame the victim, garnering sympathy for the perp.

Knight feels awful for his insensitivity in bringing it up and the toxic environment he's created must be attoned for by his leaving the show.

ah, yeah.

Posted by: ExGrifter | Jan 29, 2007 11:15:27 AM

11. Brian,

I assume you're not black. The Shirley Q. Liquor IS damned so offensive and racist!! It's not up to white people to tell people of color what they should believe is offensive any more than it is for heterosexuals to tell gay people what's offended. The Liquor character is not "satire," it a minstrel act, which have long been categorized for the same despicable caricatures of African Americans. This kind of hipster, postmodern racism is just as grotesque as it was in 1930 and 1940s. Dressing it up as "satire" is just hypocritical bullshit.

Gay people have talked about some of the Queer Eye guys being minstrels, well kiss Shirley and you're seeing the ugliest revival of the minstrel acts seen in modern times.

As for Knipp performing a caricature of a poor white woman, wasn't that character created in response to charges of racism? The character in itself is repulsive for its use of classicism to denigrate the poor. So, no, I don't find "white trash" character funny. They're just as hateful.

Finally, what the hell kind of statement chastises TR Knight for lacking "a mature, manly persona"? That's utter homophobic bullshit. What the hell? The guy stammers and that makes him immature? And this "manly" crap is ridiculous sexism. Hello, not all gay men are "manly" or want to be "manly." It's that whole "gay" part that makes gay's different: Remember how pre-determined gender behavior and rules have crushed the spirits of many a gay or lesbian child for not conforming. Little gay boys wanting to play with dolls and little lesbian girls wanting to play soldiers.

Posted by: noah | Jan 29, 2007 11:19:07 AM

12. I have it on very good authority that Washington is leaving.

Posted by: TroyTooner | Jan 29, 2007 11:29:22 AM

13. Andy, I understand the need to let advertisers be on the site here but can they be restricted to the top or bottom of the article? It gets annoying to read through the commercials during the comments. It also seems to slow down the computers even more than the side ads. Thanks .p.s. Knight is a sweetheart and Washington is an ahole!

Posted by: tommy | Jan 29, 2007 11:42:49 AM

14. Thanks for all of the talk about Shirley Q. Liquor! For some reason I had never heard of her, but after hearing her mentioned here so many times, I figured it'd have to be good.

You guys were right. She's hysterical! And much more entertaining than Grey's Anatomy.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 29, 2007 11:44:17 AM

15. I heard these rumors over a week ago. The producers want him gone for causing problems. The remaining stars now also want more money, making the show too expensive. This is always a big problem with hit shows.

Posted by: anon | Jan 29, 2007 12:32:04 PM

16. No, I'm not black. But I am very offended when people of any stripe are discriminated against, and I just don't agree with your assessment of the Shirley/Betty characters. I think we should try not to be too reactionary when it comes to performance art, which is exactly what this is. It does skirt the edge of acceptability, which is what all performance art does. It makes us uncomfortable, makes us think. But try to hear the artist's explanation of the motivation behind the characters before condemning them superficially as a minstrel show. People of color don't all agree on this issue, which makes the discussion of stereotypes and artistic motivation even more interesting. But for people who steadfastly condemn Shirley Q Liquor and Betty Butterfield... do they REALLY see no grain of truth in those performances? I don't know what the truths are in the Shirley pieces, but Betty? That is half of my family, spot on.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 29, 2007 12:40:15 PM

17. It's hard to imagine any gay person never having been called "faggot." In fact, it's hard to imagine anyone - gay or straight - never having been called "faggot" at some point in their life. (I once heard a pre-teen boy call his mother a faggot!) Unfortunately, it's a derrogatory term that's used pretty indiscriminately nowadays - like "stupid," "fatso," or "asshole." The usage definitely demonstrates societiy's underlying homophobia, but it's often used without really commenting on a person's sexual preference.

Of course, it's obviously more painful to be called a "faggot" if you're actually gay. It's good to call someone on using this term and let people know it's unacceptable; but it's also good to be a little less thin skinned, get over it, and move on with your life. It doesn't really do you any good to keep thinking of yourself as the victim.

Posted by: expedito | Jan 29, 2007 1:06:02 PM

18. To those (Bobby) who want to blame or criticize TR for this, get real. You do not know what is really going on in his workplace. He could be pressured to leave, ignored or treating worse by certain members of the cast and crew. It is obvious that some people think that this is a joke ie, Chandra Wilson. (She is the reason that I don't watch this show anyhow, can't stand her character.)

I think he should stay and fight but I am not in his shoes and neither is anyone else.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 29, 2007 1:15:29 PM

19. Shirley Q. Liquor is hilarious check it out on youtube... Black people have always been funny... Thats why they are in comedies as an ensemble. "Whatcha you talkn bout willis" "Dyno-mite"
    "Im gonna get you sucka" and Shirl is know exception.
    "Hay HAY Hay!"

Amen Chris

Posted by: M | Jan 29, 2007 1:25:42 PM

20. I'm confused, why does it seem that many of you are upset (annoyed, hostile) with T.R. Knight. I like and watch the show every week. I like T.R's role-- though George pisses me off at times-- but I thinkk he is a good actor. Anyways, what I get annoyed by this whole situation, is that the cast makes light of it (except one or two), the creater/producer/writer of the show (who is so open with the viewers about so much on the shows blog) said nothing about the situation until late last week. And if T.R. was told to keep quiet about the subect, that is sad cause he did nothing wrong.
    I just hope that things can move on whether Isaiah leaves, or not-- I hope that T.R. stays. I found him on Ellen very moving. I've worked with people who have been asses about me being gay. One was moved to a different store ,another we actually became friends after a while (some forgiveness on my part, some learning to be more open on theirs)

Posted by: D. Colin | Jan 29, 2007 1:32:52 PM

21. What's with all the trolls on towleroad hurling the word 'faggot' left and right at T.R. Knight?

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 29, 2007 1:59:45 PM

22. TR is not leaving Grey's. That's bad career move X 100.

Posted by: Marco | Jan 29, 2007 2:01:13 PM

23. "But try to hear the artist's explanation of the motivation behind the characters before condemning them superficially as a minstrel show."

I can't comment on Shirley Q's intention. All I can say is that the gay whites I know who listen to and laugh at Shirley Q tend to have racist views anyway. I doubt any of them ever gave a shit about what the "artist's" intention was.

And judging by the racist trolls on this thread, that point is clear here too.

Posted by: mark m | Jan 29, 2007 2:08:32 PM

24. My experience has been different from Mark's, in that people I know who have been entertained by Shirley Q didn't necessarily have racist views... I don't hang with people like that as a rule. But I'll agree with him that the comments on this site show a disturbing tendency for people (not gay men, but PEOPLE) tend to go right for the racism card when they can't justify their beliefs logically. It's very sad.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 29, 2007 3:11:17 PM

25. Brian,

You're ridiculous. "Racism card"? Fuck that. Shirley Q. Liquor is just another racist caricature in a long line twisted images created to laugh at perceptions of people of color. Whether or not it's the mammy caricature or Wong the houseboy, people like you just can't understand why the colored folk just don't get that it's all in fun (at the colored folks' expense). Hello! Remember how Asian Americans were outraged by Rosie O'Donnell's "ching-chong" schtick? Asian-Americans were pissed. The shit is not funny.

Here we are responding to a posting about a gay white man being called a "faggot." For the last three weeks, everyone and his brother has condemned Washington. But compare Washington's sin with Charles Knipp's disgusting, racist caricature and the brown folks are being too sensitive and unable to understand satire or are using the "racism card." Fuck you!

People of color are no more here on Earth to be made fun for your amusement than are gay white men who are effeminate are here for to delight heterosexual audience's with their "freakish" differences. Do you honestly think the Tonight Show audience is laughing with or at "Ross the Intern"? Newsflash, Ross is only funny because he's effeminate and girlie, not because he's witty. The heterosexual audience is laughing at Ross because he is so different, high pitched voiced, afraid to get dirty: stereotypically gay.

Until idiots like Brian understand how racist and utterly twisted Charles Knipp's characters are, then racism and classicism are here to stay. There's nothing satirical at all about Shirley Q. Liquor. It's no different than the minstrel shows of yore. Do some fucking home work. And for God's sake, stop telling people of color what should or should not offend us!!

Go read a fucking book on racist humor in American culture instead of sitting on your ass in from of the TV, celebrating your ignorant, self-centered world-view.

Posted by: noah | Jan 29, 2007 3:42:24 PM