Gay Slurs | Jamaica | News

BigGayDeal.com

Angry Homophobic Mob of 2,000 Attacks, Stones Gays in Jamaica

JamaicaA terrifying scene from Jamaica yesterday.

Jamaican police had to fire tear gas into a crowd of 2,000 people in St. Andrew after they had gathered around a pharmacy because three men whom they had branded as homosexual were hiding inside.

The police were reportedly taunted as they ushered the three "visibly terrified" men out of the pharmacy and into police vehicles. One of the men was hit with a stone as he was escorted to a waiting van (above).

According to the Jamaica Observer, "One man in the crowd was determined to get a chance to beat them and hurled insults at the police when they drove out of the premises. 'Unu can come save them nasty boy yah? Them boy yah fi go down,' the man bellowed."

Another woman told the paper: "Jamaica has lost its way if men think they can openly flaunt being gay without any consequences. We don't want that kind of open gay life in this country."

In Jamaica, homosexuality is punishable by up to nine years in prison.

Cops save three alleged homosexuals from angry crowd [jamaica observer]

Comments

1. Even though there are supposedly gay friendly areas in the Caribbean, this episode makes me never want to set foot on any island again. As a gay man with Jamaican heritage (grandfather was Jamaican), it sickens me to know that kind of behavior is tolerated. EVEN IF FAMILY URGES ME TO COME, I WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN JAMAICA. EVER.

Posted by: jay | Feb 15, 2007 10:09:46 AM

2. THIS is why I have NEVER, nor had a desire to visit Jamaica......

Posted by: forreal | Feb 15, 2007 10:09:53 AM

3. My heart really goes out to gay Jamaicans. The society is incredibly hompphobic. You wouldn't pay me enough to go there.

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 15, 2007 10:11:44 AM

4. Jamaica has REALLY lost its way if the people there think they can send lynch mobs after gay people without seriously damaging the only viable industry on that island... tourism.

What an armpit of a country. Something should be done to spread awareness about this problem among the straight American community... there are plenty of straight people who would choose other vacation destinations if they knew this was being condoned, either implicitly or explicitly.

Posted by: Brian | Feb 15, 2007 10:16:08 AM

5. Fuck Jamaica- backwards ass country full of shit and idiots

Posted by: FU Jamaica | Feb 15, 2007 10:21:39 AM

6. I encourage all gay and straight allies to never set foot anywhere in the Caribe. They act like savages when it comes to dealing with gay people - especially Jamaica - and need to find out how much this can hurt their pockets as a tourist destination.

Posted by: Rey | Feb 15, 2007 10:23:08 AM

7. Jamaica was better when pirates ran it.

Posted by: Joe T. | Feb 15, 2007 10:30:43 AM

8. >>I encourage all gay and straight allies to never set foot anywhere in the Caribe.

That is quite possibly one of the dumbest comments I've ever read on this blog. By making a blanket judgement like that you're just as ignorant and phobic as the Jamaican mob.

There are many lovely islands in the Caribbean that are friendly to gay tourists. Puerto Rico, for example, is a great place to visit. Like with anything, just do your research first.

Posted by: chrisb | Feb 15, 2007 10:32:02 AM

9. Hold up, Rey. As fucked up as Jamaica is - and I would NEVER go there or would let my family or friends consider a trip there - don't stereotype the entire Craibbean region. My boyfriend and I had a great time in Grenada, which, while not exactly gay-friendly, was much more permissive and progressive than the backwards folks in Jamaica, mon.

Posted by: jeff | Feb 15, 2007 10:32:10 AM

10. Oh hell Jamaica is notoriously homophobic. Like Rey, I wouldn't step foot in parts of the Caribbean, nor would I give them any of my cash. The only thing tourist destinations like that understand is the green jesus.

Posted by: jocko | Feb 15, 2007 10:32:16 AM

11. I agree with all of the previous comments.

I am a first generation american on my father side, he's jamaican, and my second generation as my mother was born in florida, but her father is from puerto rico and mother from the bahamas- and there is no way in hell i would ever consider visiting jamaica. No way at all. They have taken my younger sisters and cousins - but when i read stuff like this, it just kills any desire to experience my heritage. A scary thing it is. I won't hide my sexuality and i won't spend my time or money there. That's part of the reason places like that continue to struggle on the world front with their ignorance and hatred to social change and/or tolerance.

Posted by: Ron | Feb 15, 2007 10:35:35 AM

12. Oh Fuck all those doped up Johnny Big Hats! Dumbass mumble mouths.

Posted by: Crixi Van Cheek | Feb 15, 2007 10:38:30 AM

13. My heart goes out to them.
    We have tremendous amount of power in our disposable income. The problem is there are a lot of self-hating fags who refuse to support the community and continue to vacation in homophobic (understatement) places like Jamaica. To those folks: you may have deluded yourself into thinking they think you are straight, but they know, and as we have seen in the past it's only going to take one slip of the tongue or a sideways glance for a mob to form.

Posted by: And | Feb 15, 2007 10:41:48 AM

14. I was of the impression that anyone, who holidays on Jamaica & dares to leave the vacation "reservation" for a day trip into Kingston, would readily be assaulted by the locals who prey on the tourists.

Posted by: zabadak | Feb 15, 2007 10:44:57 AM

15. One word: DON'T go to Jamaica. End of story.

Posted by: moi | Feb 15, 2007 11:09:21 AM

16. We should encourage the ACLU, Lambda Legal and others to lay this question before the UN with a call for a military solution to this problem using UN peacekeepers, augmented by worldwide, active recruitment of gay and lesbian volunteers with military or police experience.
    The Universal Declaration of Human Rights needs to be enforced in Jamaica and the other Caribbean sites controlled by mobs of christian bigots. The howling packs of Jamaican bigots are abetted and encouraged by government policies that encourage violence and discourage punishment of the mobs leaders, which include musicians and christian clergy. ‘They and the responsible Jamaican government leaders should be treated the same way the Red Army treated SS and Nazi Party officials in postwar Germany. They were terminated following summary field courts martial.
    Because of its well known racism and tendency to kill everything and everyone in sight while in foreign combat, no US forces should be involved, except gays and lesbians discharged or retired from military or police service who are free of racial prejudice..

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Feb 15, 2007 11:12:03 AM

17. Smelly ass bitches

Posted by: M | Feb 15, 2007 11:14:01 AM

18. Is it possible for some of you folk to respond to this without using racial bs? Let's be outraged and do something, but if your racial crap is going to come up just go somewhere else please.

peace

Posted by: James | Feb 15, 2007 11:17:59 AM

19. The blanket statments about the Carribean islands is wrong and naive. Puerto Rico, St. Barts, Barbados and the Dominican Republic are regular vacation spots for me and my friends and we've never experienced anything but kindness when visiting these places. Of course Puerto Rico is really the US, but even a place as destitute as The Dominican is overly friendly towards us. Do your research and travel safely...no place is perfect.

Besides, that scene in the pic above could just as easily be small-town America so are you also saying we should leave the US?

Posted by: Wayne | Feb 15, 2007 11:26:53 AM

20. ChrisB, it's too bad you can't make your point (like Jeff) without calling my comments "dumb". Who are YOU? The Great Gazoo?

It's worth noting that I have a good deal of experience dealing with the overall homophobic policies of many of the Caribbean islands. And I will maintain that whatever remaining "ignorance" that leads me to boycott the area is far FAR less damaging than an ignorant hoard of stupid fucks who go around attacking people.

Even the All-"American" Sandals Resorts know that in order to succeed, they must ban gay people from patronizing their resorts. They're very keen to the politics and the impression that "gay" is an unwanted U.S. export to the islands.

That said, I will still encourage all of my friends and family to avoid the Caribbean but I will insist that they blanketly reject Jamaica altogether. From the dancehall shit and other homophobic stances they've taken as a country, they should be left alone to allow them to locally redirect their hate.

Posted by: Rey | Feb 15, 2007 11:31:27 AM

21. I'm not sure isolating Jamaica is the best way to help all the brave gay Jamaicans who have to deal with these kinds of attacks. Especially the young ones, who are inspired by the example of out proud gays on vacation. Note that the gay guys in this story were hardly straight-acting. They were flamboyant. That takes balls. But like they Stonewall drag queens, they're going to keep this up and will eventually win. Gay Americans boycotting Jamaica isn't going to change homophobic attitudes.

I think a lot of us are so burned by homophobia that we're too quick to write off whole groups of people based on homophobia. The GOP is homophobic; all Republicans are to be shunned. Jamaicans are homophobic; we must all avoid Jamaica. And so on.

The problem with this is that Repubicans and Jamaicans have gay kids. We isolate them at their peril.

As Zeke has pointed out in another post, homophobia, which is learned, is best countered by the example of out proud gay people. The more Jamaicans are exposed to out proud gay people, the better.

Posted by: SGR | Feb 15, 2007 11:32:23 AM

22. Every gay Jamaican I know lives in terror of their country - not one is out to their families and while it's problematic I can't tell them they are wrong. I think in this case an organized boycott is not only called for but the best way to help the thousands of young gay Jamaicans that put their lives at risk every time they walk out of their front door. Jamaica has allowed this to go on far too long.

Posted by: Giovanni | Feb 15, 2007 12:11:07 PM

23. "We don't want that kind of open gay life in this country." But a life of violent hate is alright. This is what troubles me the most.

Posted by: Dennis sandoval | Feb 15, 2007 12:19:19 PM

24. Tell Jamaica how you feel:

editorial@jamaicaobserver.com

(And for chrissakes don't get racial.)

Posted by: jeff | Feb 15, 2007 12:21:05 PM

25. Thanks, Jeff. I've already written an eloquent letter to the Observer to let them know of my disappointment but not surprise of the Jamaican mobs.

I once lived in Bermuda (many years ago) and I agree that there is no way that I would ever set foot again in that country (I went there on a holiday as a child). Even if you are straight there are thugs in the streets that would pick you out and mug you. And if you're gay forget it-they will kill you and get away with it.

Stay away. Find more tolerant places to spend your money, and TELL ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS to do the same. Let's give them the 'mackerel rundown' in the wallet, mon.

And for our gay and lesbian family in Jamaica: please leave. The leopard will not change its spots.

Posted by: Gary | Feb 15, 2007 12:31:54 PM