Food & Drink | Gay Slurs | Great Britain | News

BigGayDeal.com

British Pub Pressured to Stop Serving "Fa**ots"

A popular British pub is being pressured to drop Barrymore Pie from their menu, or at least the description, which is described as "FA**OTS - LOCALLY MADE! Swimming in onion gravy served with mushy peas and mash."

PiefactoryA customer alerted British news outlets after being offended by the menu item, prompting a statement from gay rights activist Peter Tatchell, of Outrage! Said Tatchell: “This may have been intended as a joke but homophobia is not a subject of fun in the same way racism is not appropriate for a joke.”

The owner of the pub, Mad Rourke's Pie Company, disagrees. Said owner Peter Towler: "It’s been on the menu six years during which time I have had hundreds of thousands of customers and not a single complaint. Why don’t these people worry about something important — like the National Health Service. These people say this is not funny but their behaviour is turning it into a joke. I am sorry that they are upset but I will not be bullied. I will not bow to this pressure. I sell about 100 Barrymore Pies a week. I suppose I could change its name to Politically Correct Pie."

According to The Sun, "Fa**ots are a traditional meatball dish particularly popular in the West Midlands."

Pies and prejudice anyone? [the sun]

Comments

1. I thought Fag in England meant cigarette? I honestly don't this owner is trying to be prejudice or offensive. Here is another example of everyone trying to be politically correct.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 7, 2007 9:31:30 AM

2. Aren't we getting a little too politically correct here? This is a dish that has been around for many, many years. I think we are all over-reacting. If we all think that this is one of the things that needs our attention then we are in serious trouble. We are talking meatballs here guys not gay bashing.

Posted by: James | Feb 7, 2007 9:41:22 AM

3. The english language worldwide,is a funny thing.
    What we in north america define as one thing is totally different in other areas of the english speaking world.
    I don't beleive that the term fa**ots was used in a negative fashion,unlike IW's recent use of the word,but in the traditional manner customary to the area.

In this case,rather than demanding with outrage, the desired result of removing the word would have been better acheived by educating the owner to the offense.
    Not attacking him as a homophoba.

Sometimes we,as a community, are a little to sensitive and take the meaning out of context.Being to quick to judge and jump to
    over react. Is going to result in our not being taken seriously.

Posted by: griffin1573 | Feb 7, 2007 9:44:53 AM

4. As a child, I saw faggots advertised on the TV all the time, Brains Faggots, a type of meatball made from minced (as opposed to mincing) lamb, in gravy and onions.
    Faggots is not an offensive term in the UK....and for most people it is not, but with increased internationalisation (ie. loud Yank toursits and TV shows) has faggot taken on an offensive meaning.
    In this case, given it is a Barrymore Pie, and Barrymore is, or was, a famous tv presenter who is gay, the aim of the Pub is clear.......a cheap and easy laugh.
    Personnely, I would not like to see the term faggot mean anything other than a meatball.

Posted by: EvilEuropean | Feb 7, 2007 9:51:00 AM

5. Actually, the word faggot for meatball is not offensive in itself, but it is because the restaurant called its dish a "Barrymore" pie. If you read the article, "A party at comic Michael Barrymore’s Essex home in 2001 ended with guest Stuart Lubbock, 31, being found dead in a swimming pool."

Fom Wiki: "On March 31, 2001, meat factory worker Stuart Lubbock died after being found motionless in Michael Barrymore's swimming pool, sustaining severe anal injuries. Many tabloid newspapers accused Barrymore of holding drug-fuelled gay orgies in his home and asserted that he must have had some responsibility for the death."

Thus, the faggots "swimming in gravy" aren't just meatballs but a nasty pun on Lubber's death.

Posted by: GBM | Feb 7, 2007 9:55:26 AM

6. Since it's been on the menu for six years, he must have named the pie right when the tragedy happened in 2001, which is really grisly and tasteless.

Posted by: GBM | Feb 7, 2007 10:09:19 AM

7. Oh god, does that mean that now one has to stop saying, "Let's have a fag break"?

Posted by: just sayin' | Feb 7, 2007 10:13:30 AM

8. making fun of someone's death - not cool

Posted by: rjp3 | Feb 7, 2007 10:27:44 AM

9. O man, the specter of the P.C. Police! How uncool! What will our straight friends think if we ask them to stop equating gay with ridiculous and uncool, or to stop naming food after dead faggots in a swimming pool? Perish the thought!

Get a clue. No one is stopping people from referring to meatballs or cigarettes as faggots. This is only controversial because the owner intended his pun as derogatory to gays.

When I was growing up my parents would tell of the bygone days when they could buy candies called 'Nigger Babies.' Is that what you guys want? If not, then don't be so quick to raise the specter of the PC Police. One can be respectful towards others without feeling policed.

Posted by: GBM | Feb 7, 2007 10:31:52 AM

10. Again, context.

I think the summary here is lacking a bit of context - and the context is pretty offensive.

But whatever, in general, I don't care about a small pub any more than I care about non-celebrity individuals expressing their bigoted views. I just won't patronize them.

Posted by: karashi | Feb 7, 2007 10:32:54 AM

11. Are you kidding me? Is the pub owner REALLY trying to feign innocence here? That is laughable. Too bad the seemingly clever menu item is quite simply, in HORRIBLE taste, if you'll excuse the pun.

Why is STILL okay to make fun at the expense of gay people? I DON'T get it.

Posted by: Todd | Feb 7, 2007 10:51:55 AM

12. When someone uses the "n" word, people of African decent usually unite, asking for an apology or the appropriate remedy. This is based on the history of the word, etc...

When someone uses a word that for many gays, is the last word they hear before they are beaten up or killed, we have gays who say, "Oh, we're being too sensitive."

If you aren't offended, that's fine. But don't tell me I'm overreacting. Oh, and when you are called a "faggot" before someone assaults you on the way to the bar, be sure and tell the prosecutor it isn't a hate crime, just simple assault, for fear of being too politically correct.

Posted by: dattexas | Feb 7, 2007 12:32:22 PM

13. The word "faggots", in this context, has nothing to do with homosexuals or piles of sticks or burning homosexuals with cigarettes--it is a **FOOD** item.

If you speak French, you will know their analogue is "fagots"--see this thread:

Posted by: stony_curtis | Feb 7, 2007 12:59:20 PM

14. Stony Curtis, see above comments on Barrymore and Lubbock for full context.

Posted by: GBM | Feb 7, 2007 1:04:54 PM

15. Stony, see GBM, above.

Posted by: dattexas | Feb 7, 2007 1:05:56 PM

16. Personally I find the term "meat ball" offensive.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 7, 2007 1:19:20 PM

17. "O man, the specter of the P.C. Police! How uncool! What will our straight friends think if we ask them to stop equating gay with ridiculous and uncool, or to stop naming food after dead faggots in a swimming pool? Perish the thought! "
    Posted by: GBM |

I know! I admit I would personally laugh off the "fags on a plate" item and not go back to that pub (if only because poor taste is not promising for kitchen standards)...but it REALLY ticks me off when people say we won't be taken seriously if we protest about things. Taken seriously by whom exactely? Straight people?

Please..like it matters either way. If seriousness mattered then gays would not have to stay closeted in the higher ranks of politics, or corporate America. So it's a bunch of bs, cause we're seen the same way regardless of who we are or how we're approaching things..so it's not a good idea to buy into the whole "angry dyke" or "bitter queen" insults, cause they're meant to silence gays into dolicity. I believe we've been there already, so it's time to start speaking up even at the risk of making mistakes. It's the excercise that counts.

/rant off.

Posted by: Da | Feb 7, 2007 1:36:22 PM

18. In other news: Widespread homophobia detected in the UK as hate-mongers refer to their cigarettes as "fags". Nationwide sensitivity training courses mandated by the UN.

Posted by: Aatom | Feb 7, 2007 5:52:37 PM

19. Yet another retard who didn't read GBM's comment.

Posted by: zzzz | Feb 7, 2007 8:51:39 PM

20. When I was a student in Nottingham, England I regularly ate faggots which are spiced lamb or beef meatballs slightly larger than, well um, balls actually, and are extremely tasty (and cheap)unlike the tasteless little moron (though clearly cheap)who runs this pub.However, maybe we should lighten up on this one; we have surely better things to be worrying about and I really resent all the publicity the aforementioned moron is getting. I bet his pub is full to the rafters!

Posted by: Arthur | Feb 8, 2007 4:48:12 AM

21. Said owner Peter Towler: "It’s been on the menu six years during which time I have had hundreds of thousands of customers and not a single complaint. Why don’t these people worry about something important — like the National Health Service. These people say this is not funny but their behaviour is turning it into a joke.

And the owner is 100% correct on this.
    What's next, changing 'black beans' to midnight beans or something equally ludicrous?!? - SIGH!-
    I am more disappointed each day by the inane bits of info that are posted on this site. Politically correct is out of control. There are so many more important issues to which we can direct our energy. Those who find faggots (the word used to describe the meatball dish) offensive should REALLY try harder to help humanity as a whole as opposed to succumb to what they're turning into a personal crisis over matters like this.

Posted by: Stephen | Feb 8, 2007 7:08:23 AM

22. LOOK AT THE CONTEXT. Even a pre-existing word can be used in a derogatory manner. Of course the meatballs have long been called faggots; however, this pub owner named the dish to slur a gay man. Mr Barrymore was the subject of salacious reportage in the scandal sheets. It is not political correctness run amok when the person issuing the slur intends it to be a slur.

Posted by: rudy | Feb 8, 2007 7:33:51 AM

23. Rudy,
    Thanks. Perhaps people who take offense ought to not patronize the joint. As for others far-removed, I think my initial point carries weight.

Posted by: Stephen | Feb 8, 2007 8:46:07 AM

24. "Why don’t these people worry about something important"

That's what the Ku Klux Klan said when the word "nigger" was still just about socially acceptable.

Decent people wouldn't stand for someone being called a faggot, in the same way they wouldn't stand for someone being called a nigger. It's offensive. End of.

Posted by: steve | Feb 8, 2007 9:28:53 AM

25. Sounds like some fag had nothing to bitch about so they found something. By the way, honey, the owner does like your pumps and purse. We will discuss your hair colour.

Just a thought.