I'm Not Gay | Kenny Chesney | Music | News

Country Singer Kenny Chesney to Anderson Cooper: I'm Not Gay

In a 60 Minutes interview to be aired this Sunday, country star Kenny Chesney talks to Anderson Cooper for the first time about his divorce to Renee Zellweger. In the interview, Chesney speaks out about the separation papers which listed "fraud" as the reason for the annulment. He says many people assumed that the fraudulence referred to his sexuality:

Chesney"The only fraud that was committed was me thinking that I knew what it was like ... that I really understood what it was like to be married, and I really didn't. We thought the least harmful (stated reason) was fraud because it (is) kind of broad … doesn't specify. And boy … we were wrong...It's not true (that I'm gay). Period. Maybe I should have come out and said no, I'm not (gay), but I didn't want to draw any more attention to it … I didn't have to prove to anybody that I wasn't (gay) … I didn't feel like I really did...Even though I'd sit here and say I wish we'd gotten divorced instead of all that annulment stuff and saved me a lot of public humiliation … I still don't have any regrets. I loved her, you know? And it was real."

Chesney appears in the current swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated alongside Marissa Miller. So, of course he can't be gay(!) Though I'm sure, as far as the rumors go, he and Anderson have quite a bit to talk about.

Comments

1. Yeah, a picture of you looking away from a bikini-clad woman, with whom you have zero discernible chemistry, totally makes you appear straight as an arrow.

Posted by: bron | Feb 15, 2007 12:43:30 PM

2. I'm certain the irony of that exchange was wasted on very few people. Come to think of it, I'm not gay. I have a husband just for hell of it.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Feb 15, 2007 12:45:38 PM

3. Yeah, I'm not gay either Kenny. I just love a my man and love having sex with him. pffft

Posted by: Dave | Feb 15, 2007 12:49:23 PM

4. Girl PLEASE! Quit lying, you know you smoke the pole.

Posted by: roo | Feb 15, 2007 12:50:44 PM

5. OH FOR GOD'S SAKE, WHO CARES?!!!!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Feb 15, 2007 12:54:49 PM

6. Okay, Kenny... we believe you. Even though you can't even say the word "gay"... sure, we understand: your alter-ego is one who sucks dick and gets fucked, but no... never you, huh?

Please... gay, gay, gay Kenny. It's obvious.

Posted by: Silent Me | Feb 15, 2007 1:10:56 PM

7. A truly straight man would never need to say to the world, "I'm not gay." Can you imagine Clint Eastwood saying that? Of course not because STRAIGHT MEN DON'T NEED TO SAY THAT.

Posted by: Big Dave | Feb 15, 2007 1:22:43 PM

8. Yeah, we ALL know its true. The sad part is, I keep thinking he gets less and less attractive as time goes by.

Posted by: adam | Feb 15, 2007 1:31:22 PM

9. How did all the "Kenny is gay" rumors start? Was it the muscle T's or the pookah shell necklaces?

Posted by: Marco | Feb 15, 2007 1:44:15 PM

10. Actually Marco it was all the cocksucking. Nashville is a very small town

Posted by: digger | Feb 15, 2007 1:47:48 PM

11. So I thought, Digger. This title of an album or song (not familiar with his music - all apologies) probably didn't help the rumors either.

"All I Want for Christmas Is a Real Good Tan"

Seriously. Why would anyone suspect he's gay outside of Nashville?

Posted by: Marco | Feb 15, 2007 1:50:13 PM

12. I like how he never actually says the word "gay."

Posted by: Je | Feb 15, 2007 1:58:54 PM

13. Does it look like Kenny's sportin' wood in that pic?

Or a splinter?

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 15, 2007 2:00:08 PM

14. He rates an appearance on 60 Minutes? Has he sold any albums?

Posted by: anon | Feb 15, 2007 2:02:02 PM

15. He sounds like that delusional bi guy we've all dated. THe one who after you fuck for a few weeks freaks out and starts dating a girl to re-straighten him.

I know what I am talking about as I was that guy.

Posted by: Marco | Feb 15, 2007 2:02:06 PM

16. I'll second what Big Dave said.

If he weren't insecure about what the world thought, he wouldn't have to stammer for five minutes or whatever insisting that he's not gay.

Posted by: FML | Feb 15, 2007 2:24:48 PM

17. He's not sporting wood. That's just his hands jammed in his pockets.

Posted by: FML | Feb 15, 2007 2:25:42 PM

18. Oh, goodness, he's appearing in hetero-male oriented sports rag Sports Illustrated. Notice how he's all dressed up while his co-posing bimbo friend is wearing next-to-nothing. Typical double standards: male fully-clothed, woman almost naked. Thank goodness we gay people don't have these double standards.

Where are your Speedo's, Kenny?

Posted by: jon | Feb 15, 2007 2:41:50 PM

19. Okay... Am I the only one who was offended by the "...lot of public humiliation" quote? I think that attitude speaks volumes of why this is even an issue. Frankly, I don't find the idea of being gay humiliating.

Anyway... I personally like the concert where Tim McGraw jumped into Kenny's arms and wrapped his legs around him. NAAAHHH! He's not gay! It's just a good act.

Posted by: Dean | Feb 15, 2007 3:06:53 PM

20. Country Singer Kenny Chesney to Anderson Cooper: I'm Not Gay, BUT I still want to have sex with you again!

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 15, 2007 3:25:07 PM

21. Not every softie is a gay man.

You people should know better, using stereotypes to say someone is gay. There are many many many men that are like Kenny Chesney that are straight. And there are many tough masculine gay men. Stop the stereotyping!

Posted by: Jack! | Feb 15, 2007 4:36:32 PM

22. The irony of Kenny telling Anderson he's not gay is so funny. Kenny denies it and Anderson won't say but we all know what they did with each other after the interview.

Posted by: Ben | Feb 15, 2007 4:47:46 PM

23. "I know what I am talking about as I was that guy."

Well Marco, you've been a very busy boy, because we've all dated you.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Feb 15, 2007 5:10:02 PM

24. Jack!, it's not stereotyping to point out that man with ahistory of fooling around with men is gay. Yes, gay and straight men come in all shapes and sizes and flavors, but it ain't stereotyping to say that a guy who has had a dick in his mouth has a touch of the 'mo.

Long story short: Shut up. And Clay Aiken is gay because we have all seen him on man-for-man websites, not because he is a vanilla, flaming queen.

Posted by: the other jeff | Feb 15, 2007 6:12:45 PM

25. I wonder if Anderson managed to keep a, er, straight face during this exchange. The double entendres in the air must be thicker than the hairspray in the Wigstock closet changing room.

Posted by: just sayin' | Feb 15, 2007 8:38:33 PM