Crime | Detroit | News

Gay Senior Citizen Patriot Clings to Life After Attack

A sad update on the recent Detroit hate attack:

Andrew Anthos, the 72-year-old Detroit man I reported on Wednesday was brutally beaten with a pipe outside his apartment after a stranger approached him on a bus and asked him if he was gay, now clings to life in a coma and is not expected to live through the weekend, according to the Detroit News.

Anthos2The beating left Anthos paralyzed from the neck down and unable to speak above a whisper. Doctors reportedly performed emergency spinal surgery but were not able to reverse the paralysis. His niece, Athena Fedenis, 45, told the paper that Anthos is gay: "There's nothing else they can do but keep him comfortable. He wasn't robbed. It strictly was a hate crime. This monster gave Andrew a slow, painful death...Our family is just sick. We can't understand why someone would do something like this."

The only lead police have of the perpetrators is a vague description Anthos gave them before he slipped into a coma.

Anthos is apparently well-known in Detroit for his 18-year-campaign to light the Capitol Dome, according to the Landing State Journal (see photo):

"Anthos, who lived in Lansing at the time, often stopped in to get copies of the copious leaflets he created in the course of his 18-year-long Quixotic campaign to convince state officials to illuminate the Capitol dome with red, white and blue lights at least once a year, on Independence Day.

With typical Anthos flair, he told one of several State Journal reporters who interviewed him over the years: '(Lighting the dome was) ... a noble, fair, inexpensive and very patriotic proposal - a symbol of what liberty, democracy and freedom espouse.'

Anthos_1Anthos collected endorsements for his idea the way some people collect autographs. He got letters of support from Detroit Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch, actress Ava Gardner, Detroit radio personality J.P. McCarthy - even recent GOP gubernatorial candidate Dick DeVos.

If there's anyone on earth who would appreciate letters and cards from well-wishers, it's Anthos. They may be sent to him at:

Andrew Anthos, Detroit Receiving Hospital, 4201 Saint Antoine, Detroit, MI 48201."

Here's a touching article about Anthos from the State News from five years ago: "The 67-year-old Detroit resident, who collects 'Titanic' movie paraphernalia and idolizes the late actress Ava Gardner, says his biggest passion is his 15-year-old dream to light the outside of the Capitol 'with the soft colors of red, white and blue' on special occasions and holidays."

Anthos was obviously a true patriot who loved his country. If this is not enough to get Michigan to wake up and realize that sexual orientation needs to be part of the hate crime laws, I don't know what is.

While the Lansing State Journal reports Anthos' condition as conscious, the Detroit News obviously reports a more grim situation. I pray that Anthos will come out of it and the police catch the sad, pathetic excuse for a human being who committed this crime.

Our thoughts go out to Anthos and his family.

You may have missed...
72-Year-Old Detroit Man Paralyzed After Brutal Anti-Gay Attack [tr]

(photo source top)
(photo source bottom)

Comments

1. Peace and strength to Mr. Anthos and his family. Hopefully the police will catch the person who did this.

Posted by: James | Feb 23, 2007 8:04:33 AM

2. My heart goes out to Mr. Anthos and his family.

My rage, on the other hand, knows no bounds.

I am so terribly and utterly sick of this happening.

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | Feb 23, 2007 8:40:42 AM

3. Out of respect for this American hero, can the wingnut trolls please refrain from puking up talking points about how it's better here than in the Muslim world?

This is what happens when Republikkkan Log Cabinites enable hate to be spread against gay people year in and year out all over this country. This blood is on Republikkkan hands.

Posted by: bambambam | Feb 23, 2007 9:24:22 AM

4. This whole situation just makes me seethe.

Posted by: Will | Feb 23, 2007 9:40:26 AM

5. Nobody deserves to be beaten for simply being who he is. It's a sad statement on the lack of respect for people that so many hate filled Americans are displaying these days. Prejudice, hate, bigotry and mistrust are being spread openly and fervently into the general population of this country from the far flung corners of Alaska and Maine to the more familial friendly urban streets of our major cities like Detroit. This deplorable act is the tangible result of those efforts by people who have no conscious, no concern whatsoever for the direct and indirect collateral damage they inflict upon our nation as a result of their crusade of hatred and intolerance. All my thoughts and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery go out to Mr. Anthos.

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Feb 23, 2007 9:41:34 AM

6. I feel so bad for this man. He was a great patriot. I seriously don't think on the other hand BamBamBam that this was a Republican conspiracy. Pay the man the respect he deserves and leave the politics out of it. I seriously doubt the man who beat him up even votes.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 23, 2007 9:46:48 AM

7. My question is where was the bus driver and the people on the bus? At 7pm on a city bus, the attacker spent a ride insulting, taunting and eventually following him off of the bus and no one lifted a finger to intervene or to help. There was at least one witness on the bus, the driver, and hopefully someone will show some spine and come forward.

Posted by: Ed | Feb 23, 2007 10:02:34 AM

8. I agree Ed. Where are the other witnesses? I once saw this thing on 20/20 where people were taunted as a test to see if onlookers would intervene. Unfortunately, most just stood by because they said it wasn't their business or were afraid of being sued. Probably the same thing happened here.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 23, 2007 10:08:20 AM

9. Mr. Anthos suffered at the hands of somebody with the same mentality as Mr. Hardaway.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 23, 2007 10:16:25 AM

10. What a beautiful human being.

I was literally in tears the whole way through reading about his life mission to light the Capitol Dome.

This said, like Rob, my anger knows no bounds at the moment.

Posted by: Da | Feb 23, 2007 10:21:10 AM

11. Can someone please forward this story to Tim Hardaway.

Posted by: David | Feb 23, 2007 10:38:52 AM

12. I truly believe anybody who does not see the connection between hateful Republican-sponsored legislation & talking points and a deplorable act of violence like this is either being intentionally obtuse or simply doesn't have the capacity for reason.

Let's all try to send him a card wishing this man lots of love and a speedy recovery.

Posted by: Rey | Feb 23, 2007 10:39:55 AM

13. Heartfelt hopes that Mr. Anthos sees a miraculous recovery (although sounds doubtful) and thoughts for his family during this terribly upsetting time.

May his pain and sufferring not be in vain.

Posted by: CF | Feb 23, 2007 10:51:32 AM

14. Jackson, Sharpton, Obama, Powell, any black leader have been disgustingly silent on the Hardaway hate campaign - you'd think they'd speak out on this, given the proximity to Hardaway. But nothing, the pricks.

Posted by: BeeDee | Feb 23, 2007 11:04:27 AM

15. Everyday i grow weary of this place I call home. This just makes me sick and angry. I'm writing a letter of hope and prayers to this man and his family, immediately followed by one to the politicians of Michigan. It is a sad day when a human being can be beaten almost to death and no one blinks an eye.

Posted by: Cory | Feb 23, 2007 11:07:23 AM

16. No, Rey. I don't see the connection between this attack and Republicans. If any public figure influenced this attack, it was Isaiah washington or Tim Hardaway. Those have been the two most publicized in recent months. But I won't even go that far, yet, to blame them. Maybe it was just the individual attacker's own hate.

Posted by: Joe T. | Feb 23, 2007 11:16:08 AM

17. I don't see the connection either Rev. I agree with Joe T. Our celebrities have so much more influence than our politicians.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 23, 2007 11:19:21 AM

18. I merely asserted that there is a direct connection between Republican-sponsored legislation/talking points and the violence they can beget. (Please don't attribute any blanket statements encompassing ALL Republicans though it may be mighty tempting.)

People collectively like to disparage "Hollyweird" and celebrities regardless of whether they agree with their occasional socio-political statements. But when a politician sponsors hateful legislation or echoes those prejudiced viewpoints, it validates them for all who are consciously or subconsciously looking for that justification from an authority figure who really should know better.

Posted by: Rey | Feb 23, 2007 11:40:33 AM

19. This attack took place on Feb 13. When did Hardaway make his comments? According to Google news, Hardaway was apologising by Feb 15.

Was the attacker motivated by Hardaway?

Posted by: Mike | Feb 23, 2007 12:17:12 PM

20. I wish I had the computer skills to forward this article to Michael Medved, the horse's ass.

Posted by: John | Feb 23, 2007 12:25:33 PM

21. Add me to those here who are tired of feeling so unwelcome and constantly under attack in their home country. I have a job assignment over seas coming up. Maybe I should just stay.

Best wishes to Andrew and his family.

Posted by: Marco | Feb 23, 2007 12:28:49 PM

22. Mike, don't try to reason with the trolls.

Although we can appreciate their input for making us wiser about what makes them feel threatened the most about us.

Posted by: Da | Feb 23, 2007 12:33:09 PM

23. The SYMPTOM of hatred is Isaiah and Hardaway.

The CAUSE of the hatred is the incessant campaigning of Republikkkans for legislation that strips us of the rights of citizens. Isaiah and Hardaway said one thing, one day. The Republikkkans have said it for years and decades and pump millions of dollars into anti-gay campaigns.

Posted by: bambambam | Feb 23, 2007 12:53:14 PM

24. Heartbreaking.

No witnesses coming forward. Hmm... That brings me back to what I said two days ago. "They will probably NEVER find the attacker because the whole community(citizens and police) quitely SUPPORTS this kind of thing."

Posted by: Jack! | Feb 23, 2007 1:06:53 PM

25. Bambambam, I really don't feel like my rights are being stripped away. Besides the gay marriage ban, I'm fairly happy with how my life is and the rights I enjoy. Are there more rights out there for me? of course. Have any been taken from me? none that I know of.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 23, 2007 1:42:16 PM