Crime | Detroit | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Senior Victim of Detroit Hate Attack Given Last Rites

Andrew_anthos_1Andrew Anthos, the 72-year-old victim of the horrific gay bashing in Detroit I've been reporting on, was administered last rites on Thursday evening. He is not expected to make it.

His niece reports: "His breathing is very shallow and doctors don't expect him to make it through the next 24 hours."

It had been reported that the victim was asked if he was gay before the beating, but a few of these details are new: "According to family members, witnesses said the attack came after a fellow passenger on a city bus took offense to Anthos' singing, then followed him off the bus. The man then reportedly called Anthos a 'faggot' and beat him with a pipe."

No arrests have been made and "Detroit Police spokesman Leon Rahmaan declined Friday to assign a motive." Uh, doesn't screaming "faggot" and beating someone into a coma with a pipe pretty much describe the motive? Come on!

If folks think we've moved beyond the Matthew Shepard days, think again!

Comments

1. So according to this post, he got beat to death because of his singing and not because he was gay?

Posted by: matt | Feb 23, 2007 2:28:33 PM

2. I hope they catch who did this and beat him to death with a pipe. He doesn't deserve any better.

Posted by: Marco | Feb 23, 2007 2:34:35 PM

3. Sorry, but Fuck you, Matt!

My partner and I live in Lansing, where Mr. Anthos used to live. I haven't checked T-road for a few days, so I missed the earlier post about this fine person.

He was a fixture, for years, in Lansing. He is a gentle, loving man who had a mission in life: to light our Capitol dome with colored lights. He would stand in front of the Capitol and wave his flag trying to get support for his disire to celebrate a quirky little patriotism.

He left the scene a few years ago because he was increasingly less able to care for himself. My partner and I were talking about him just yesterday afternoon wondering how he was, since we hadn't seen him in a long while. Then I read this!

Again, Fuck you, Matt. Mr. Anthos is a sweet man whom people like you should be ashamed of mocking!

Posted by: JT | Feb 23, 2007 2:39:21 PM

4. As horrible and disgusting as this hate crime instance is, I'm not too surprised by it. I'm definitely not surprised by the police's response. We should expect police to resist calling anything a hate crime. Eternal vigilance IS the price of liberty.

What DOES surprise me, is that Andrew was actually administered his last rights at all. Did the priest who administered his last rights also apologise on behalf of the institution that would generate and allow such a crime against humanity in the first place? I don't think so.

I wonder whether they'll let Andrew be buried in holy ground, or will they push anti-gay cruelty to the absolute zenith and deny him a place to rest.

Posted by: David M | Feb 23, 2007 2:39:40 PM

5. Yes, Matt. For singing. He pounded away at him and called him 'faggot' but it was really just the singing. Good Christ.

Posted by: Marco | Feb 23, 2007 2:51:42 PM

6. This is sad ending to a sad story...

Oh, and Matt, fucking grow up!

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Feb 23, 2007 2:59:30 PM

7. I wasn't saying it wasn't sad. Jeesh you people are way to sensitive.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 23, 2007 3:08:41 PM

8. and it wasn't a hate crime. He wasn't doing anything "gay" to make it a hate crime. The criminal in this instance had no clue he was gay, he was just annoyed with him. You know how many straight people get victimized that get called faggot but they aren't and it's not considered a hate crime. This guy should go to jail for life for murder, but I don't believe it was a hate crime.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 23, 2007 3:17:07 PM

9. I still wonder why there's no description of the attacker anywhere. Do they want him caught or what..?

Posted by: Joe T. | Feb 23, 2007 3:29:50 PM

10. My heart goes out to Mr. Anthos. May justice be swift and appropriate.

Does anyone know Michael Medved's email? I can't find it, and I'd like to email this posting to him.

Thank you.

Posted by: John | Feb 23, 2007 3:33:52 PM

11. When I read about this, I was sickened to my stomach. This is like Shepard all over again.

Posted by: Karim | Feb 23, 2007 3:41:38 PM

12. So, according to Matt's logic (or lack thereof) if a person is beaten with a pipe while the perpetrator screams "Nigger" this in no way means it was a hate crime since many people who are not black may have been called "Nigger". Matt, you are out of your fucking mind!

Posted by: Crixi Van Cheek | Feb 23, 2007 3:43:39 PM

13. I wish people would stop picking on Matt. He is obviously, uh, "mentally-challenged," and can't help himself. If we saw his picture, or met him in person, and saw the dead eyes, the constant drool, the banjo-player-from-"Deliverance" haircut, the stains in his clothes covering his nether regions—I'm sure we would just feel pity, grit our teeth, and ignore his babbling. There are Idiot Savants like Tim Hardaway who mixes exceptional basketball skills with exceptional and willful homophobic stupidity and then there at the Matts of the world, simply Idiot Idiots.

Posted by: Leland | Feb 23, 2007 4:06:08 PM

14. That's so Republican, Matt

Posted by: Cory | Feb 23, 2007 4:06:32 PM

15. Of course, prayers for Mr. Anthos and his family come first, but it took me too many years to realize what cowards gay bashers really are. One should never be afraid of cowards. Whether they're black, white, Latino, whatever; gay bashers are on the same level as child molesters because they tend to prey on those gay people who appear vulnerable. Only a rotten coward would do this to a gentle senior citizen-- one who obviously wasn't afraid, but just trying to make the most of the last part of his brave GAY life.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 23, 2007 4:24:30 PM

16. Sickening. Chilling that a person can be so unfeeling as to commit such an atrocity.

I'm referring of course to Matt's posts.

My prayers go out to Anthos' friends and family.

Posted by: mark m | Feb 23, 2007 4:29:36 PM

17. Matt you're an idiot. If a person is percieved to be gay (but isn't) and attacked it is still a hate crime because the attackers believed that person is gay.

I am really hoping for the best in this situation. I hope the attacker is found and prosecuted and sentenced to the fullest extent of the law.

Posted by: Jack! | Feb 23, 2007 5:00:24 PM

18. Matt,

Sorry if I am a little sensitive about someone getting called a faggot while being pummeled with a pipe to the point of paralysis and soon - death. Yeah, I admit to being a little touchy about that shit.

I am sure you will shed light on the "countless" straight victims of singing-induced beatings were "faggot" was yelled.

Posted by: Marco | Feb 23, 2007 5:52:26 PM

19. Wow I've received more hate messages than when I said the sun caused global warming. Go me!!! And who cares if he got beat with a pipe? He was old which is practically dead in the gay community anyway. Go Republicans! Mitt in '08. I take that back. I don't like Mormons. Jeb in '08.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 23, 2007 6:15:15 PM

20. ^^^^I assume Matt is trying to be funny. The kind of funny Michael Richards would appreciate. Yes Matt, go, go far, very far.

Posted by: Cory | Feb 23, 2007 6:30:58 PM

21. I just find it funny that you guys cry about how you are victims. I never here anyone on this blog say that they do anything about it. It's always the Republicans did this too me. At least I'm honest that I don't care about gay rights as long as it doesn't directly affect me.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 23, 2007 6:34:01 PM

22. I'm with Matt. Sorry guys, I think what happened to him is horrid but I doesn't sound like a hate crime to me. If he had just kept a lower profile this wouldn't have happened to him. Matt you probably do need to tone it down though, you come across as arrogant and snobby.

Posted by: Josh | Feb 23, 2007 6:38:55 PM

23. Fuck off, the two of you.

Matt, the only people who are crying are the victims who get their heads bashed in with pipes - and comments like yours help make it an easy for that kind of shit to happen. Oh, their families cry, too. I am sure you're sympathetic to them, or are they just family and loved ones of big whiners?

And believe me, I love to give homophobes something to cry about. I like turning gay bashing on its ear.

As for Josh, he should have kept a low profile? How dare he be gay and all out about it? He should just keep to himself and not see the light of day. That's a life worth living.

Again, fuck the two of you.

Posted by: Marco | Feb 23, 2007 7:14:31 PM

24. oh, no. another one of leland's bag of farts.

Posted by: amanda | Feb 23, 2007 7:23:05 PM

25. JOSH: Am I hearing this correctly??? "Keep a low profile"? What the fuck are you talking about? Do you really think people should change their personality, themselves, to avoid being beaten to death? Seriously??? Ok, the next time you're out in public, be mindful of your actions, because any slip of the tongue, anything that you might say or do that someone who doesn't agree with your sexuality might find it reason to beat you senseless. If and when that happens, remember, you brought it on yourself, right?

Posted by: Cory | Feb 23, 2007 7:27:12 PM