Basketball | Military | News | Sports | Tim Hardaway

BigGayDeal.com

In the NBA Locker Room with Michael Medved

Not to dwell on the recent Tim Hardaway story, but I hadn't posted this, and didn't want it to slide by.

MedvedMichael Medved: "Hardaway appropriately apologized for his harsh remarks, but many (if not most) Americans no doubt share his instinctive reluctance to share showers and locker rooms with open homosexuals. That reluctance also explains the controversial Defense Department policy that prevents out-of-the-closet gays from serving in the United States military."

Thus starts the conservative columnist's recent item on the Hardaway comments which perpetuates a set of twisted generalities truly astounding in their sexism and bigotry. Here's a bit more:

The much better analogy for discomfort at gay teammates involves the widespread (and generally accepted) idea that women and men shouldn’t share locker rooms. Making gay males unwelcome in the intimate circumstances of an NBA team makes just as much sense as making straight males unwelcome in the showers for a women’s team at the WNBA. Most female athletes would prefer not to shower together with men not because they hate males (though some of them no doubt do), but because they hope to avoid the tension, distraction and complication that prove inevitable when issues of sexual attraction (and even arousal) intrude into the arena of competitive sports.

Tim Hardaway (and most of his former NBA teammates) wouldn’t welcome openly gay players into the locker room any more than they’d welcome profoundly unattractive, morbidly obese women. I specify unattractive females because if a young lady is attractive (or, even better, downright “hot”) most guys, very much including the notorious love machines of the National Basketball Association, would probably welcome her joining their showers. The ill-favored, grossly overweight female is the right counterpart to a gay male because, like the homosexual, she causes discomfort due to the fact that attraction can only operate in one direction. She might well feel drawn to the straight guys with whom she’s grouped, while they feel downright repulsed at the very idea of sex with her.

There's more where that came from. Check out the rest of the column here.

OF course, Medved's generalities were disproved last week by the players themselves. But Medved seems to have really thought through those locker room scenes with intense concentration, right? Makes you wonder.

Where Tim Hardaway Was Right [town hall]

Related
Tim Hardaway's Gay Spinout: North Miami Mayor, All-Stars React [tr]
Tim Hardaway's Gay Hate Speech Brings Swift Reaction [tr]
Former NBA Star Tim Hardaway: "I Hate Gay People"[tr]

Comments

1. I agree with Rudy!

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 22, 2007 8:18:22 PM

2. Medved is fixated w locker rooms. Did he ever think that showering is merely a part of the job. Obviously he hasn't learned "workplace rule #1: don't shit where you eat."

More often than not nebbishes like MM are hetero.

Posted by: Zabadak | Feb 22, 2007 9:02:06 PM

3. This guy's an idiot.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Feb 22, 2007 9:22:23 PM

4. Um, that photo says it all, people. Cocksucker mustache.

Posted by: Tyler | Feb 22, 2007 9:43:08 PM

5. The only straight guys uncomfortable with another guy checking them out are closet cases. If someone doesn’t want to be looked at they should shower at home. Face it most gays have basic standards for looks and deportment. Assholes like Medved would have to PAY to have a gay guy look twice at them.

Posted by: ggreen | Feb 22, 2007 10:30:23 PM

6. Yuck. What a bigoted creep.

Posted by: Little Dave | Feb 22, 2007 10:45:03 PM

7. Such a taseless and moronic article. I pitty the politician Medved tries to defend in the future. I wouldnt want this pinhead in my corner, digging my grave.

I find it insulting he brings obese women into this "enlightening" article. The idea is soo utterly ridiculous coupled with the fact that being obese in our culture doesnt do wonders for your self asteem. An obese woman would know whats in her league and throwing in a pro athlete would be like catching Santa Clause.

Secondly, doesnt he not understand his handy little organ, the human brain. Its used for silly things like logic and reasoning. Once used, the average straight male could think "Wow, Im not uncomfortable with individuals, only the sex that they have. And if I dont want to have sex with them I can tell them NO!" It will be a revolution I tell you!

Having showered with other males in the military, I can honestly say, in my experience, not once have I become aroused or stared longingly at a guy's dick. It may be due to environment and knowing I am still in a professional situation. It may be conditioning and understanding that in American culture looking at a nude male for too long is seen as "gay" and negative. It may also be the fact that a large majority of men in lockerrooms are unattractive to me. In any case I have not lost control and assaulted anyone yet and I am betting that a large majority of gay males havent also.

There is just no excuse under the sun for what Hardaway said. My straight college friends are less eloquint and wiser than that. They simply say "Oh dude, thinkin of two dudes doin it just seems gross." They say what they mean. They are not aroused by gay sex. But they have been some of the first people to jump in on a discussions to defend homosexuals rights. They believe in equality and not following blind bigotry. Any bright straight male should be offended by Medved's article for giving them no credit to the fact that they have a brain to reason with. There is no excuse for homophobia.

Posted by: Toto | Feb 22, 2007 11:34:08 PM

8. Wow... this guy has sure fallen far from his days as a wannabe film critic on PBS. He wasn't particularly brainy then either.

The sad thing (besides his bizarre "logic") is how many commenters on his blog actually agree with and defend him.

I kind of hope Rosie O'Donnell will discuss his "unattractive morbidly obese women" analogy on an upcoming episode of The View. That ought to be fun.

Posted by: RJ | Feb 22, 2007 11:45:35 PM

9. Everybody keeps saying he "looks gay". Well could someone please explain to me what "gay" LOOKS like? Isn't that perpetuating the bigotry that assholes like this use against us?

Posted by: soulbrotha | Feb 23, 2007 12:09:12 AM

10. So it makes sense that I wouldn't want to shower with Michael Medved because I find him grossly unattractive and repulsive. The mere thought of sex with him makes me recoil in utter horror. In fact, I'm going to vomit just talking about it...

Posted by: Todd M. | Feb 23, 2007 12:15:37 AM

11. SOULBROTHER, the reason he looks gay is that he's chosen to groom and style himself in the exact same manner as was fashionable amongst gay men during the 1970's. It's the mustache, the hair, his limp wrist, his fay demeanor. Medved works overtime to give off the "signals" like they did back then. Like all so-called conservatives, he's stuck in a cultural time warp fighting the the conservative's "stuck on stupid" cultural war to undo the sexual revolution and the birth of the gay rights moment. That Medved, who in my opinion is a self-loathing flaming queen, chooses to appear as he does is no accident. Sure, it's a stereotype but in Medved's case, it's an accurate one...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Feb 23, 2007 1:26:07 AM

12. Sorry for misspelling your screen name SOULBROTHA, my spell checker is sometimes too efficient...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Feb 23, 2007 1:27:53 AM

13. What a foolish asshole.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 23, 2007 8:37:09 AM

14. I'm not versed enough on locker room culture, but in general I'm just so sick of this argument about gay guys "assaulting" the poor straight males with their insisting glances and making them uncomfortable.

Cause, guess what? It works the other way around too!!..

I can't even begin telling you the number of guys who've looked at me the wrong way or felt threatened by me simply because I walked in a room. When I was in highschool I've had classmates tell me "why do you act like you want us to jump on you" or "I would not trust myself in the same room with you" - which are all subtle ways to project their own thoughts on me while blaming me for causing them. Aiiight.

It's the same thing when all the haters click the gay guys videos on youtube, then start harassing them for what they chose to do on screen. Makes you ponder, why would anyone go out of their way to click on a video that says 'me kissing my bf' then complain "i thought it was two chicks'??..It just doesn't add up lol.

Bottom line: sexuality goes both ways, and more often than it's reported the "looks" can emanate from a straight male towards a gay guy whom he feels threatened by for their looks, or a part of feminity which challenges their own perceptions about gender..

This article doesn't touch on that.

Posted by: Da | Feb 23, 2007 9:30:44 AM

15. Idunno... in my pre-Out years, affixing to "morbidly fat chicks" was considered a "safe date" for any gay male. Realllllyyy makes me wonder what Mr. Medved's underlying message is. Does he want to bring "morbidly fat chicks" into an NBA locker room and measure the males penis' for any reaction? Hmmm....

Posted by: Rad | Feb 23, 2007 9:39:21 AM

16. bottom line, medved's a bottom.

Posted by: petey | Feb 23, 2007 9:48:51 AM

17. Jack! and PatrickNYC hit this nail on the head.

Straight men have been checking each other out for centuries. Are there gay men who take oggling too far? Sure, but speaking as a gay man who spends time in the gym, I pretty much go out of my way to NOT be conspicuous about checking out another guy. I've dealt with unwanted behavior in showers before by simply saying "no thank you" and the behavior stopped.

And if straight men are put off by being made sexual objects, well BOO FUCKING HOO. As Patrick pointed out, they have been objectifying women since the beginning of time. Now that they shoe is on the other foot, they want to cry foul? Sorry, guys you are now living in the 21st Century. Get used to it.

And Medved in a gym? LOL.

Posted by: mark m | Feb 23, 2007 10:18:18 AM

18. This guy is a total ass and a complete closet case..i remember him as a lame ass family morals oriented movie critic who often objected to harsh language and nudity. No doubt this is one miserable soul.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 23, 2007 11:16:13 AM

19. There is that big gay myth again--"We want to sleep with you". I would like to know how many times Ameachi leered and wagged his dick at his teammates in the locker room. I'm guessing NEVER! Now, excuse me, I have to go and embrace my inner fat chick.

Posted by: Terry F | Feb 23, 2007 11:38:08 AM

20. I always knew that deep down I wasn't really a gay man, but a profoundly unattractive fat chick.

Posted by: Ridwah | Feb 23, 2007 1:33:36 PM

21. there is a little fat girl in each of us. amen sister.

ps i wish mine was lekeisha jones, from american idol, cause she is awesome!

as for medved, i am not sure is a bottom, but more of a glory hole sucker closet case from your local bath house

Posted by: poodle | Feb 23, 2007 2:10:20 PM

22. I doubt Medved is even allowed into the bathhouse. He's giving hand jobs in the parking lot behind the bushes.

Posted by: rudy | Feb 23, 2007 2:21:55 PM

23. I agree with some of what he says, but of course there is the plain fact that there's no alternative to this locker room 'problem'. There's never going to be a gays-only locker room, that's just silly.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 23, 2007 3:34:03 PM

24. What exactly do you agree with Eric? Just wonderin'.

Posted by: _____ | Feb 25, 2007 11:57:09 AM

25. i have always wondered about medved, i frequently listen and call in to his radio show while driving around during work, he simply adores a man in uniform! i found this site when i searched "medved is gay", HA! Gotcha medved! Someone should out him.

Posted by: Truly yours, hollis buttercamp | Sep 28, 2007 3:16:30 PM