Brokeback Mountain | Film | Mark Wahlberg | News

Mark Wahlberg Not Ready to do "The Thing"

Wahlberg2In a recent interview, Mark Wahlberg said that he and Joaquin Phoenix were both considered for roles in Brokeback Mountain but that certain aspects of the story (the gay ones, for example) made him uncomfortable:

"I met with Ang Lee on that movie, I read 15 pages of the script and got a little creeped out. It was very graphic, descriptive - the spitting on the hand, getting ready to do the thing. I told Ang Lee, 'I like you, you're a talented guy, if you want to talk about it more...' Thankfully, he didn't. I didn't rush to see Brokeback, it's just not my deal... Obviously, it was done in taste - look how it was received."

Maybe Wahlberg should have taken some notes from his gay uncle, about whom he once said: "My uncle was gay and he was a teamster and a truck driver and he was a guy's guy, but he kept this secret his whole life. Imagine how hard that must have been for him. I feel so bad. Every time my dad brings it up, he cries because he loves his brother more than anything. He doesn't care what it was. He was born that way. Acceptance is the key. The only way you're gonna succeed in life and really grow as a human being is through acceptance."

And you know, there are only so many tough Boston cop parts out there.

Comments

1. I believe Mr. W once took someone's eye out with a nail on the end of a stick. This is not someone to look to for direction on weighty matters of the universe.

Posted by: lee Gordon | Feb 28, 2007 8:49:47 AM

2. Marky Mark is still a homophobe, no matter how anyone tries to dice it, even when he like many homophobic jerks trot out a gay relative to show they are fair minded. He in the past has made gay slurs and racial ones as well, so, it really comes as no surprise to me to read his nasty comments. When those foolish gay men were swooning over him in his Calvin's he had no problem with it, now that he is 'somebody" he is grossed out be two men in love? Well, buddy, since you have not aged well at all, I'm grossed out by you and your intolerance.

Posted by: Luke | Feb 28, 2007 9:16:33 AM

3. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 28, 2007 9:23:34 AM

4. marky mark starring in "planet of the apes..." talk about life imitating art.

Posted by: amanda | Feb 28, 2007 9:47:08 AM

5. I know it's cliche to immediately categorize a homophobe as a closet case, but I never got that vibe from him. I think this may be a case - like Jack! and others on Towleroad suggest - of a straight man just being prejudiced.

I'm still inclined to think that straight men who feel compelled to go into great detail about why homosexuality makes them uncomfortable are suffering from masculinity issues. That doesn't mean they are gay, but perhaps they have an "incident" in their childhood that still haunts them, or they were the skinny kid who got picked on in school and called "fag" one too many times. Whatever the reason, straight men who go out of their way to diss homosexuality or proclaim "it's not my thing" are projecting insecurity.

Think of all the actos who have played gay roles. Are all of them gay? Why could they do it and Mark W. could not?

Only his therapist (and perhaps the guy he played doctor with at age 13) know.

Posted by: mark m | Feb 28, 2007 9:53:49 AM

6. "The thing"? LOL

Guess it takes a real man to handle "the thing". It's just too intense for big, strapping butch guys like Marky Mark.

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: Jonathon | Feb 28, 2007 10:03:28 AM

7. I like Mark as an actor.

As far as the gay fear, he was the biggest gay pin-up of the 80s. All that homoerotic underwear stuff?? I mean who is he kidding?

I don't think he's gay, but I do think he likes to tease.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Feb 28, 2007 10:07:41 AM

8. He would've failed miserably had he accepted either the role of Jack or Ennis. He doesn't have the acting chops nor the maturity to take on the complexities of those two characters.

American cinema is better off in the end.

Thank you Marky Mark.

Posted by: gabe | Feb 28, 2007 10:15:01 AM

9. He's right. Acceptance is key. And, he is what he is --- way out of his element, and incapable of taking on a role that goes beyond his limited scope. And, I accept him for that. Like so many of the Hollywood "guy actors" --- they wouldn't want to pronounce the word "thespian" for fear of being accused of a lisp! Amazing how far a guy can go as an underwear model!

Posted by: Richard | Feb 28, 2007 10:33:07 AM

10. I totally agree with Lee. In the first graph, he says he's "not comfortable" with the thing, etc. Then to cover his ass, in the second graph, he brings up his poor gay uncle and the fact that everyone should accept and grow. Well, obviously, he didn't grow enough. It just shows how much more evolved both Jake and Heath were as human beings and as actors to take the chance that they did with the movie.

Posted by: Ray | Feb 28, 2007 10:35:58 AM

11. I'm afraid to say, but if I was an actor I would have been creeped out by the scenario of Brokeback Mountain as well.

I think the movie left me a bit traumatized, hence why I resent it so still..I'll get over it. Hopefully.

Posted by: Da | Feb 28, 2007 10:58:01 AM

12. Traumatized because of a love story?

Hmmmm.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Feb 28, 2007 11:00:46 AM

13. No, traumatized by what I consider a hopeless, sinister, violent and ultimately *loveless* story.

That's what it was to me.

Posted by: Da | Feb 28, 2007 11:07:05 AM

14. the scene in Brokeback he is referring to was basically a sort of consensua; rape in my eyes, very brutal and rough. There are gay men who are not comfortable with anal sex, does that make them homophobic too? Let's not play that card so often.

Posted by: busytimmy | Feb 28, 2007 11:17:45 AM

15. I have to agree with Mark. Asking a straight man that question would be the equivilant of asking me how much I would like to fuck a girl. I would be equally uncomfortable with the notion but that doesn't mean i'm an active heterophobe. I've never heard of anything derogatory coming out of his mouth toward gay people. In this case it obviously just a case of it not being his taste. We don't have to get all up in arms the second anyone says the don't like the idea of sticking their dick in someone's ass. Maybe if he was a stronger actor it wouldn't be a problem for him or maybe not.

The day he calls someone a faggot without any provocation or says he crosses the street to avoid gay people is the day I'll rethink my attitude towards him.

Posted by: MT | Feb 28, 2007 11:24:35 AM

16. That's funny, back in the early 90's, Marky Mark had no problem cruising me at the Gold's Gym in Waikiki.

Posted by: Jordy | Feb 28, 2007 11:29:07 AM

17. I totally agree with MT. What's up with you guys? If you were asked to go down on a girl, what would your response be? Just because a straight guy doesn't want to fuck a gay man's ass doesn't mean he's a homophobe. We need to be more selective in our battles.

Posted by: justaguynatl | Feb 28, 2007 11:33:39 AM

18. Humm, let's see--does my extensive DVD collection contain anything staring the underwear talent of MW? NO! Now he says he can't "handle the thing"---was that a cucumber in the 80's Marky Mark ??(smirk)....

Posted by: Stevie P | Feb 28, 2007 11:34:56 AM

19. MT, it's called acting for a reason. Being asked to depict something you may or may not do in real life is the entire point. I imagine blasting someone's head off is not something Mr. Walberg is comfortable with either, but he has certainly done so on screen.

Posted by: RCG | Feb 28, 2007 11:35:49 AM

20. What a fucking idiot.

"Marky" gets all creeped out reading 15 pages of a script mainly due to the scene with "the thing"? What was his problem? Did he think Lee was going to make him stick his dick in the other lead?

I wonder if he got really scared when Burton put him in that spaceship. I bet he was afraid he was really going to be sent into Earth's simian-led future!

Posted by: Rey | Feb 28, 2007 11:36:50 AM

21. The itty, bitty little "thing" should shut his idiot mouth and not speak in public. I met the bitch years ago, and she's all of 4 foot 11 inches... and shops in the boys department. But the ones who shout the loudest are the ones who search for dick in dark places after midnight. Somebody with a 12 inch dick please stick it in his ugly mouth.

Posted by: Preacher | Feb 28, 2007 11:43:52 AM

22. DA... girl, please. SHUT UP and SUCK A HERPES-INFESTED DICK.

Posted by: Preacher | Feb 28, 2007 11:45:21 AM

23. Here's the thing: I'm not defending Mark, but he obviously read the script knowing what it was about, and with interest to play the part. Then he came across a scene that stopped him dead in his tracks.

Personally, I've not yet come across a heterosexual love story in Hollywood (especially one considered the greatest of all time) where the man spits on his hand, brutly disrobes his leading lady, and forcibly sticks his genitals in hers - as Bustytimmy described.

So to me the question here isn't whether Mark W was willing to play a gay part or not, but what quality he was expecting. imo, and mine only, he made the right choice.

Posted by: Da | Feb 28, 2007 11:49:50 AM

24. MT an actor doesn't have to fuck in the movie, only touch or kiss.

Posted by: Jaime | Feb 28, 2007 11:51:35 AM

25. Brokeback "sinister"??? "loveless"????? Are there two "DAs" posting on Le Road? If not, then the DA who has posted some cogent things was obviously drugged out of his mind when he saw Brokeback [acid maybe?]—or is confusing the movie and this thread with the one about "Cruising" yesterday. Better dial up Ang Lee and tell him to remove "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" from the soundtrack.

BUSYTIMMY may not even know DA but apparently he was also on a bad acid trip, and the distorted memories also destroyed his understanding of oxymorons. Grammatical errors aside, the closest thing I've ever heard of to a "consensual rape" is the fraud that Reichen perpetuated upon the public about the Air Force blow job he was "forced" to receive.

Sure there are gay men, and straight women, who don't enjoy anal sex, but, despite Ennis's drunk and horny-out-of-his-mind plowing of Jack, there's nothing clearer than that Jack wanted it to happen. I'm sure he would have appreciated some more spit and Ennis going a little slower and nuzzling Jack's ear in the process, but you cannot rape the willing—neither a fictional character nor the fictionalized USAFA Cadet Richard Lehmkuhl.

Posted by: Leland | Feb 28, 2007 11:53:40 AM