Basketball | Iraq | John Amaechi | News | Republican Party | Sports | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #83

JOHN AMAECHI: ESPN talking heads discuss Amaechi's coming out.

SENATE REPUBLICANS: What you get for filibustering the anti-escalation resolution.

BOY CULTURE: Trailer for the upcoming film based on the book by Matthew Rettenmund.

SNICKERS COMMERCIAL: An alternative ending.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here!

Comments

1. Now that was how ya make a funny commercial! And surprisingly good conversation from the ESPN blathering heads. Thanks for the tip.

Posted by: john | Feb 8, 2007 3:41:34 PM

2. I saw Boy Culture like a year ago. It sucked. No wonder its taking so long for it to be released.

Posted by: Chris | Feb 8, 2007 4:02:07 PM

3. I also saw Boy Culture, but I actually didn't think it was that bad as far as gay movies go.

Posted by: republic | Feb 8, 2007 4:27:39 PM

4. I thought the ESPN round table discussion was excellent, thoughtful and spot on. I’m hoping Ameachi’s revelation will encourage others to consider coming out; including active players.

The alternate SNICKERS ad was hilarious and, in my opinion a perfect example of how the commercial, with a little more thought, could have been funny without being offensive to so many.

Again I ask; isn't THAT the point of an ad?

Posted by: Zeke | Feb 8, 2007 4:27:43 PM

5. I also think that simply changing "Quick, do something manly!" (which implied that homosexuality or homosexual expressions are unmanly) to "Quick, do something STRAIGHT!" (since what they were doing certainly wasn't straight) would have made all the difference.

You would think that a little more thought would have gone into an ad that cost millions to produce and air.

Posted by: Zeke | Feb 8, 2007 4:31:34 PM

6. Well, I thought that Boy Culture was surprisingly witty and subtle, always subtly subverting the clichés of the genre while staying on formula. Smart, and sexy!

Posted by: Nick | Feb 8, 2007 4:35:25 PM

7. Wow - Boy Culture looks like another gay bomb, can't wait to avoid it. When will gay filmmakers make a great epic movie, come on Almodovar, Singer, Van Sant etc. There is enough talent to make something great and by the success of Brokeback looks like it would get picked up.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 8, 2007 5:37:52 PM

8. If you don't know who John Amaechi is, or you want to know more about him and you're in the mood for an inspiring video clip, check out:

www.meech.org

I couldn't help but notice the MANY double entendres in the clip. Like when they talk about him living a "double life".

I think this man will have a really big, positive impact on the future lives of thousands of gay kids, in addition to the thousands of kids that he's helped through his charities.

If you're interested in seeing his coming out interview, be warned, they have moved the air date of the "Outside the Lines" interview up to SUNDAY, Feb. 11th at 9:30am on ESPN.

After seeing the clip at meech.org I can't wait to see the "Outside the Lines" (how appropriate) interview on Sunday.

Posted by: Zeke | Feb 8, 2007 7:12:48 PM

9. Thanks for the info, Zeke, would have missed the air date of Outside the lines. Sunday morning seems like an odd time to air the special but I guess it could be worse.

Posted by: Giovanni | Feb 9, 2007 10:18:36 AM

10. I thought Boy Culture was very good, and extremely sexy. The lead actor, Derek Magyar, is a dreamboat, and very talented. It also has that hot actor from Noah's Arc, Darryl Stephens. It was definitely worth the price of admission.

Posted by: sam | Feb 9, 2007 10:24:02 AM

11. Thanks, Andy, for the link. I wrote the novel Boy Culture and I'm proud of what Allan Brocka did with the film. No movie appeals to everyone, but I've seen it with like 12 audiences at film fests over the past 9 months or so and the response has been very, very positive.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Feb 9, 2007 11:27:13 AM