Ann Coulter | Election 2008 | Gay Slurs | John Edwards | News | Republican Party

Ann Coulter calls John Edwards a "Faggot"

At the Conservative Political Action Conference today, which was attended by 2008 Republican Presidential candidates Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, Mike Huckabee, Tom Tancredo (R-CO), Senator Sam Brownback (R-KS), former Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA) as well as Vice President Dick Cheney, Ann Coulter referred to Senator John Edwards as a "faggot".

Ann_coulter_2After being introduced by Romney, who said "I am happy to hear that after you hear from me, you will hear from Ann Coulter. That is a good thing. Oh yeah!", Coulter took the stage and said:

"I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, but it turns out you have to go into rehab if you use the word ‘faggot,’ so I — so kind of an impasse, can’t really talk about Edwards." (video)

Coulter's comments were met with an audible gasp and then a smattering of applause and cheers. Disgusting.

It's not the first time Coulter has used anti-gay slurs as a form of insult. Last July she called Al Gore "a total fag".

HRC's Joe Solmonese issued this statement: "To interject this word into American political discourse is a vile and disgusting way to sink the debate to a new, all-time low. Make no doubt about it, these remarks go directly against what our Founding Fathers intended and have no place on the schoolyard, much less our country’s political arena. It is clear that some in the Republican Party plan to run in 2008 the same way they did in 2004, by using discrimination to divide the country and rally their base. But, 2008 is not 2004, and this time the politics of fear and smear will not work. The American people are tired of those who would rather divide than unite."

Solmonese also called on Republicans to come forward and condemn Coulter's hate speech:

“We demand that every single Presidential candidate in attendance at this conference, along with Vice President Cheney stand up and publicly condemn this type of gutter-style politics. If not, then their silence will be deafening to the vast majority of Americans who believe this type of language belongs no where near the discussions about the future of our country."

Full video at Think Progress [think progress]
Cheney, GOP prez candidates, called on to condemn Ann Coulter for calling John Edwards a "faggot" today [americablog]

Comments

1. This is completely inappropriate. What does someone’s sexual preference have anything to do with politics? Say what you will but I am more of a conservative. It is people like her who give others a reason to hate republicans. There are so many faults with both sides these days and too much pride to compromise.

Posted by: brwnIgirl | Mar 2, 2007 8:27:37 PM

2. Brdnigirl, I agree 100%. My parents are both Republican, but these days they seem to agree that the Republican party is what the Democratic party was years ago, and that the Democratic party resembles the values that they hold dear to their hearts.

Posted by: Cory | Mar 2, 2007 8:31:56 PM

3. I agree with Leland. Why don't gay leaders actually get out there and call press conferences and hold rallies and stuff except when its like "freedom to marry day". We would still have slaves plowing our fields if black people sat on their asses and "issued statements" like our gay leaders do. My father, who has 3 gay children mind you, asked me the other day if there even was an organization that supports gay rights because he never see's them on tv or anything.

Posted by: Kit | Mar 2, 2007 8:46:57 PM

4. RB

I am glad to hear that you are denouncing Ann

I was about to post that gay republicans should all denounce her...and you did it already. ^5

pandora...Free speach is great....with free speach also comes in equal measure....CONSEQUENCES. The consequences of saying what you will. The republican elite only use anti-gay retoric for political power while behind closed doors they all love and party with their gay brothers, sisters, cousins, nephews, nieces, and staff members. Ann will feel the cold shoulder affect from the elite of the party for her going too far. Just watch and wait.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 2, 2007 8:55:10 PM

5. ann coulter, you are really truly ignorant. so therefore i will feel sorry for you. you don't have a clue what is going on in the "real" world ie. poor people or lower class people. i knew your kind in high school-mean and shallow. some day i hope you will get what's coming to you. you are most definitely NOT a christian. i pity you.

Posted by: kate marks | Mar 2, 2007 9:04:02 PM

6. This is neither about freedom of speech nor so it is about a need to quash so-called hate speech.

It's about how we react to free speech, and most of all it's about recognizing that there is no right to free speech without responsibility for what you say and even more so the responsibility for amplifying, spreading and giving credence and respectability to that speech.

An invited guest was given a sanctioned and promoted spot at a national-party endorsed event by every candidate for president of the most powerful country in the world and by all their supporters. It's a simple matter for each candidate to say that was inappropriate and for the party to never invite her to another thing. They cannot be simultaneously be allowed to use her for chum and then say that a bunch of PC folks are too thin skinned. There need to be clear ramifications for hosting and endorsing her, especially since they don't need her.

Ann has freedom of speech to say what she wants in her home, inthe middle of the woods or most appropriately dishevled on a street corner.

It is a whole other issue if she is invited and schedule to speak at a gathering of this sort. Do you have the freedom to speak to that assembly? I'd take it and use the time well. But that's absurd. They wouldn't have me there. Not just because i'm no one. But mainly because they don't agree with me and they are exercising their right to choose who is there. Don't let them wiggle out.

It's hard for me to say that this is speech that incites physical violence like yelling Fire, though. And i'd defend the right to use a lot of words particularly if they set out more clearly for me how people honestly feel . Then i don't have to guess which party to support or how someone in the workplace really feels.

I can make sure they don't get elected and ensure that it sticks to every one of them who doesn't come out against it.

...and yet there remain people who call themselves gay republicans, always here to remind us of the right to self loathe

Posted by: phill ill | Mar 2, 2007 9:52:57 PM

7. All I can say is, if he's a fag, I'd do him! As for her, who cares? If she died tomorrow nobody would miss her.

Posted by: Terry F | Mar 2, 2007 10:13:33 PM

8. Info: Ann Colters column is syndicated through Universal Press Syndicate - an Andrews McMeel Universal Company - research them and stop doing business with this company until they have her apologize or she looks for another job...we have to show them we won't stand to be treated this way .. I for one have totally stopped watching Greys Anatomy - have you? Stop supporting the people who support Ann Coulter she is the enemy your mother warned you about - she is the bully in high school who picked on you - take a stand.

Posted by: BJ | Mar 2, 2007 10:24:53 PM

9. Frankly, the more Ann speaks up like this in connection with Republicans, the better! C'mon Ann, that was mild. And speak directly into the mic, please.

Posted by: zinc alloy | Mar 2, 2007 10:40:48 PM

10. That she uses the "F" word as a slur is ridiculous. That kids say something is "gay" as a slur is ridiculous.

That people think it's clever to complain that some imaginary "gay agenda" is being shoved down their throats, and thus their ridiculously hateful speech is validated is ridiculous.

Dude, if you think some guy is shoving the "gay agenda" down your throat either stop sucking dicks, or accept that YOU are uncomfortable with your sexuality. As a straight woman I don't feel like anyone's agenda is being forced on me, so I am comfortable with other people doing whatever they want. But I can see how closeted self-hating gay people would feel their precarious paradigm is threatened by people like me not taking issue with homosexuality.

And go ahead and call me a lesbian, or whatever you gay derivative you like. It's sort of like saying I have blue eyes. I don't, but it wouldn't make a bit of difference if I did. So it's not an insult to me.

Posted by: Deborah | Mar 2, 2007 11:02:48 PM

11. This is something that's been pissing me off for a while, when reading this site - what the hell is with this derogatory attitude towards 'breeders'?

I'm a straight girl, but I am completely in support of equal rights, gay marriage, freedom from institutionalised homophobia, the whole shebang.

Yet so often I see contemptuous people sneering at 'breeders' on here. I'm a breeder I suppose, though kids scare the living shit out of me, and i'm a little tired of this hypocritical "we want freedom from discrimination and equal rights, but we'll sure feel free to throw the hate and contempt around the same way homophobic people do" bullshit.

How in the hell do you rationalise that? I support gay rights to my last breath, but I don't support assholes who throw it right back in my face.

Posted by: Lara | Mar 2, 2007 11:05:24 PM

12. LARA, I agree. I think it's a lot of people who get upset and angry over the homophobic and hateful things are are written. It doesn't excuse the behavior, but after being the heterosexual community's "punching bag" for a long time, it can make someone snap and say things they don't mean.

Posted by: Cory | Mar 2, 2007 11:08:22 PM

13. Amen Cory! I have no issue with another's sexuality and do keep that in mind before I open MY trap, but at times, vitriol as gut reaction can be misplaced even by us, your loving homos. Pay no attention to that idiot, it's people like Colter that actually achieve media exposure that are the dangerous ones.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Mar 2, 2007 11:17:24 PM

14. oh, and I thought your line was funny, "though kids scare the living shit out of me" lol ;)

Posted by: Cory | Mar 2, 2007 11:20:13 PM

15. Heh, it's true though, they really do. Inscrutable, screaming little bundles of squidginess, I just don't know what to do with them. Conveniently, my sister is gay so I won't be asked to babysit any time soon.

Fizzie, you're right of course, though.

Posted by: Lara | Mar 2, 2007 11:33:43 PM

16. Okay okay, the reverse trolling is cute, but let's ease up on the sociopath and other assorted psycho associations with homos. I'm quite well-adjusted personally.

IT PUTS THE LOTION IN THE MOTHERFUCKING BASKET!

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Mar 3, 2007 12:13:00 AM

17. wow. hate is ugly...and makes ann ugly, too.

Posted by: JoeInSF | Mar 3, 2007 1:52:58 AM

18. To be honest, I just find her funny. Of course I find her revolting and disgusting, but mostly I see her as a joke. She is desperate for attention. Does anyone actually care what she says or take her seriously?

Posted by: matt | Mar 3, 2007 2:06:46 AM

19. As a non-American - this woman is the reason women like me fear your country. Fear her influence on your ignorant masses.
    I can go so far as to say it is the reason I fear reproducing - because I fear bringing children into a world influenced by women like Ann Coulter. She is one of the reasons your country is so maligned.
    Why do you allow your media to provide her with an outlet?
    How can you stop her? How will you stop her?

It is as though she gets off on the notoriety of her own loose cannon, at the price of people's dignity.

I only take comfort in the fact that one day she will pay for the suffering she inflicts. Karma is quite the bitch.

Posted by: Just Me | Mar 3, 2007 2:34:55 AM

20. Methinks Ann is actually a blessing in disguise. Let her spew more hate-filled gibberish: it's like a twisted mirror image for those who harbour secret homophobic thoughts, except now they get to see, and hear, how unattractive and ulg, those thoughts are when they are articulated aloud.

Maybe these people will then re-examine their beliefs and, hopefully, wish to draw a line between themselves and the likes of Coulter.

Posted by: just sayin' | Mar 3, 2007 2:49:49 AM

21. sorry, "ulg" = "ugly".

Posted by: just sayin' | Mar 3, 2007 2:51:08 AM

22. I detest Ann Coulter... however, I'm all for her saying whatever she wishes and the more public, the better. THIS is the true face of the current RepubliCON regime and it's high time more people realize that. It's also a matter of fact that I'd just as soon have an open enemy than a hidden one.

Oh, and as a gay man, I, too, am offended by the term "breeder". While straight folk haven't suffered because of their sexuality, that doesn't give anyone the right to use derogatory terms about them. Wrong is wrong.

On a personal note about Ann... it must really get to her that their are millions of gay men who have a better chance of having a man than she does.

Posted by: Dean | Mar 3, 2007 3:15:31 AM

23. There are several people here that seem to defend her speech and words. They are saying that by others' attempts to bar her speech from getting out (censoring), we are not granting free speech.

The truth is, several Supreme Court cases have created categorical exceptions that bar different forms of speech like fighting words and libel/slander. Read: Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire.

Hate Speech is most definitely one of those categorical exceptions and Ann Coulter has violated the words and guidance of several courts and justices.

There is absolutely and positively no reason for Ms. Coulter to speak the way she does...

Posted by: Nate | Mar 3, 2007 3:17:37 AM

24. GRRR... that last paragraph should read... "there are millions", not "their". It's late and I'm trying to type too fast.

Posted by: Dean | Mar 3, 2007 3:18:13 AM

25. Ann Coulter lost respectability and she just remains a shrill on the conservative scene. I hope people write to local newspapers to dethrone her off the editorial pages. You can disagree with the left in politics, you just need a bit of class with your arguments.

Posted by: Matt | Mar 3, 2007 3:38:20 AM