Ann Coulter | Gay Slurs | John Edwards | News | Republican Party

Ann Coulter Defends "Faggot" Joke; Sponsors Pull Ads

Ann Coulter traveled over to FOX News (big surprise) to open her piehole and dignify the disgusting "joke" she made the other day at the CPAC conference. Here's how Ann feels about the word "faggot":

"I didn't use an insulting word. I used a schoolyard word, about a married man with children — for the eight billionth time, and the audience knew that. I mean the joke wouldn't have worked if I had inserted the name of a gay Democrat. Any other Democrat, the name could have been inserted. It could have been Howard Dean or Hillary Clinton because it's a schoolyard taunt meaning wuss, meaning nerd, meaning weenie, meaning lame."

Coulter obviously just doesn't get it. Doesn't realize that hundreds of kids are on the receiving end of that "schoolyard taunt" every day and it's far more charged than words like "wuss, nerd," or "lame". Not that I have to explain it to this audience, but the violence that verbal schoolyard aggression can lead to is all too clear. The conservatives who offer her a forum to tell this kind of "joke" are just complicit by proxy.

It's nice to see that some of the advertisers on Coulter's website understand that. After complaints, at least three companies — Verizon, Sallie Mae and Georgia-based NetBank — have pulled their ads from her site.

Related
"We Belong" Documentary Exposes Homophobia in High School [tr]
Gay Oklahoma Teen Sues School for Failing to Curb Harassment [tr]

Comments

1. Yellowpages.com also advertises on Ann Coulter's Website.

You can call to complain at AT&T Advertiser: 877-647-6278
    Hours of Operation: 5 a.m. - 5 p.m. (PST) Mon. - Fri.
    Or you can E-mail them at m26220@att.com

This is how to hit her where it hurts Republicans the most... their pocketbooks.

Posted by: RAD | Mar 6, 2007 10:14:35 AM

2. Question for you all:

1) The point of Coulter's joke was to make fun of Isaiah Washington being sentenced to "rehab" for using the word "faggot" on the set of Grey's Anatomy. Her view of the idea of sending someone to "rehab" for this was apparantly that it was so absurd as to be the subject of ridicule;

2) We discussed the Isaiah Washington incident extensively here. The overwhelming consensus here was that the idea of sending Washington to "rehab" for saying the word "faggot" was so absurd as to be the subject of ridicule.

THEREFORE: Aren't we here all, in actuality, in agreement here with Ann Coulter on this?

Discuss.

Posted by: anon | Mar 6, 2007 10:14:46 AM

3. I really have been so upset about this. It recalls so many bad memories from my adolsescence. The word carries so much violence and anger and is deeply offensive. Towleroad should really post suggetions on things people can do to speak out against Ann Coulter and the word itself.

Posted by: David | Mar 6, 2007 10:14:52 AM

4. I dare Ann to call Obama a "nigger". Same thing, right?

Posted by: yes i do | Mar 6, 2007 10:19:49 AM

5. Faggot is a slang for twigs used to kindle a fire, hence the derogatory 'throw a few faggots on the fire'.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 6, 2007 10:29:05 AM

6. Correct me if I'm wrong (or if I'm using too much logic to your emotion), but isn't there a link along the right side of this page called "The Fagat Guide?"

Different kind of fagat, I guess. Perfectly acceptable and a really great place to visit, too. So let's continue to only get our shorts bunched up when the word is spoken by a conservative.

For those of you who apparantly only took away from my previous posting a woe-is-me message, let me attempt to clarify. Ann is a big girl who can take care of herself. Sher certainly doesn't need to me to do that for her.

My point was that we get hysterical over name-calling when there are much more egregious things being said and done in the name of Progressive politics these days.

And you did NOT mention global warming! Am I the only one old enough around here to remember the dire predictions of the "Coming Ice Age" back in the mid-70s? People, turn to your science and history books while there's still a chance.

You know, if a liberal isn't cowering in a corner somewhere worried about the next outbreak of Nuclear winter or global warming or name calling or (insert your conspiracy theory of choice), I'd venture to say they were damned near to crossing over to the lighter side of life.

Then again, to be blissfully unfettered by the truth or the facts, is to be a dutiful and obediant lib.

Chicken Little must have been a liberal. Sometimes an acorn really is just an acorn, no matter how many dire predictions and willing believers you attach to the cause.

Posted by: Psychelic Pariah | Mar 6, 2007 10:34:58 AM

7. Pariah -- suck my faggot dick while there's still a chance.

Posted by: JP | Mar 6, 2007 10:58:31 AM

8. Ann may well have meant this as a school yard taunt to mean wuss, lame, etc. But the reason "faggot" has those meanings IN THAT CONTEXT is because the speaker intends it to mean gay men as lame, wusses, etc.

It's a tautology.

Posted by: tjc | Mar 6, 2007 11:01:17 AM

9. >> "During a time in our political history when it's perfectly acceptable (indeed, applauded) to make movies depicting the fictional assasination of President Bush"

That was made by a British TV company so your straining for spurious moral equivalence there doesn't make sense.

Fascinating the amount of Americans whose view of politics is solely "If you're for this, you must be against that" and vice versa. American political debate now seems to have no room for nuance anywhere, everything is characterised by extreme posturing on both (because there are only two) sides. The degree of naked hatred on both sides is extraordinary.

Posted by: John C | Mar 6, 2007 11:03:51 AM

10. JP: Now there's a considered response. Exactly the sort against which I was railing. Thanks for your help.

I'll pass on the cock, however. Something tells me that if there's a vacancy upstairs, the whole place is probably filled with the cobwebs of neglect and disuse.

Posted by: Psychedelic Pariah | Mar 6, 2007 11:04:59 AM

11. Dear Jesus,

Please send cancer to Ann Coulter.

Thank you. Amen.

Posted by: stephen | Mar 6, 2007 11:06:59 AM

12. Pariah, if you are going to come to this site and complain that liberals are whiny emotional hystericals with little concern for logic and reason, then bud...

You gotta stop sounding like an illogical whiny hysterial.

Ann has advocated violence MANY times in her jokey, "I'm just kidding you fags" tone. So it's ok for her to do it but we can't jokingly say that it's a shame the suicide bomber "missed" Chenney?

What's the difference?

The reason why it's ok to get up in arms about a silly word is because she isn't just focussing on one person. If she wanted to demean Edwards, she could do it in a number of ways that don't involve slurs against an entire segment of the population.

IF she had called Obama a "Nigger" would you still be making the same argument? Unlikely.

Posted by: mark m | Mar 6, 2007 11:17:49 AM

13. And Pariah...

You didn't just tell us to turn to our science and history books INSTEAD of buying into the hysteria of Global Warming...

I know you didn't just play the science card... 'cause dude...

You're about to smacked down with a whole lotta logic and reason.

Posted by: mark m | Mar 6, 2007 11:21:56 AM

14. 1. Coulter is, once again, simply lying. Even had TR Knight's sexuality not been publicly confirmed [by Knight AND Washington] as being behind Washington's use of "faggot" when he physically attacked Dempsey on their set [and he STILL has a job—try attacking someone where YOU work, boys and girls, with or without throwing in the F-word], there is no reason to believe she genuinely meant it any other way. To the best of my knowledge, "dyke" hasn't yet joined the list of grade school epithets, in any context, yet that's how Cuntler wrote about Hillary and women around her last year. And, her preface to joking that Al Gore is "a fag" was seriously insisting that Bill Clinton must secretly be gay because of his alleged mistreatment of women [unearthing the canard that gay men are attracted to other men simply because they hate women]. "Maybe not Clinton but Al Gore? Definitely a fag."

2. There must be zero tolerance of the use of the word as an epithet, even by children who do not yet understand its sexual connotations, because its power as an epithet stems entirely from the idea that being a faggot is something reprehensible. Again, you don't hear kids saying, "That's so Catholic!" "You're a doctor!" Fill in the blanks.

3. I recall no such "consensus" that Washington going into "rehab" was a joke. The mocking of it was because of the cliche that rehab has become for those who don't want to take responsibility for their actions. From Mel Gibson's rabid antiSemitism to Mark Foley's self-destructive obsession with teenage boys—"don't blame me—it was the alcohol." Whether or not they are alcoholics is separate from their unacceptable behaviors. Nor did I ever see a direct connection [another Cuntler distortion] between Washington's homophobia and the alleged rehab. It was Washington's violence and public pathological lying about calling Knight a faggot and then the unnecessary reuse of the word in front of millions that was context—a man out of control, who ALSO was homophobic.

4. Cuntler is psychotic, and we have every right to do whatever we can to drive her off of the airwaves, out of the newspapers, and onto the sidewalk next to Fred Phelps and his incest-spawn waving "Matthew in Hell" and "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for 911" signs.

Posted by: Leland | Mar 6, 2007 11:23:05 AM

15. I don't care what she says. She's still fat.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Mar 6, 2007 11:23:26 AM

16. Um, yeah, Pariah...Where to start?
    I think a lot of us can attest to the real human damage that is often a result of "name calling" with the climate it encourages. For god’s sake didn't you read here only last week that a 72-year-old man was beaten to death for being a "faggot"?
    God only knows how we could get hysterical about such a trivial thing! On a gay website too!
    Progressive politics getting us in trouble? Are you kidding?
    The Iraq war, the disappearing middle class, the health care crisis, corporate power out of control, wiretapping private phone calls...yeah those damn liberals must be doing all of that! Those Democrats who have virtually no power and can barely stop our Emperor from escalating his war that the vast majority of Americans want to end are the cause of all our problems in this country!
    Fox news told me so!

Posted by: Adam | Mar 6, 2007 11:26:56 AM

17. Oh Ann, another blatent example of you failing to check your facts. But I'm afraid I would have to go into rehab if I called you a "skanky hateful media whore". That's a schoolyard taunt meaning skanky hateful media whore, by the way.

Posted by: Terry F | Mar 6, 2007 11:55:25 AM

18. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, stop what you're doing right now and read this. You won't be sorry: http://ifuckedanncoulterintheasshard.blogspot.com/

Posted by: Charlie | Mar 6, 2007 12:01:25 PM

19. Ann hit a nerve with me, bringing back memories of the times when I was the target of the f-word. I can feel that pain in my body.

She loves all this attention...it is part of her publicity machine, and endears her even more to the neo-cons.

Face it, boys, her message is all about hate. But retaliating with hate is just crazy and brings us down.

But we can take skillful, constructive action like requesting that advertisers don't support hateful figures like her or complaining when she appears on CNN or the networks. I just checked her site and most mainstream advertisers have pulled their ads, with the exception of classmates.com. So I am sending them an email next...

Posted by: JoeInSF | Mar 6, 2007 12:20:35 PM

20. Mark M. wrote: "You're about to smacked down with a whole lotta logic and reason."

Would that it were true, Mark. But alas, unless we've pulled up stakes, we're still in LaLa land.

What logic and reason are you purposing, Gore's? If you accept the fact that the Earth is billions of years old, and that we've seen the earth warming in what, the last 10, 100, 1000 years, would any rational thinking person honestly draw a scientific conclusion on that?

Show me a single warming model that takes into account the variable called precipitation. For that matter, show me anyone who has yet to predict next months weather.

Don't give me your smackdown boogeyman. Global warming is nothing more than a trendy doomsday pseudo-religion. And when you place this argument into the realm of morality (as in, we have a moral obligation to do something about this "problem" now), then you've completly removed the science from the belief.

For every scientist and study you can produce, there are others stating the opposite of inconclusive theories. That said, what say you regarding the ice age that was bearing down on us back in the 70s? Whatever happened to those well-informed, well-meaning Chicken Littles?

Seriously "dude," when you're talking about an entity billions of years old, don't try to convince me that the sky is falling down until you've got a statistically valid (read: Longevity) trend.

Now, back to the Ann Coulter show. Can't we whiney fagats (oops, faggots) just get along?

Posted by: Psychedelic Pariah | Mar 6, 2007 1:13:55 PM

21. I can't wait until she dies.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Mar 6, 2007 1:26:18 PM

22. People have mentioned several companies advertising on anncoulter.com. I've searched the site and don't see them anywhere. Even the post before this one says classmates.com is still on there; I don't see it, either. Where are you guys seeing these ads?

Posted by: John | Mar 6, 2007 1:30:30 PM

23. I can't believe there are 40+ responses about Coulter and not one about the HOT-BODIED DONKEY-DICKED IVY LEAGUE MARINE.

Where are you priorities people?!

Posted by: none@none.com | Mar 6, 2007 1:30:31 PM

24. So she's advocating "schoolyard taunts"? Bullying? Gay, black, fat, nerd, geek, whatever... That's okay now? She really is out of f'ing mind.

Posted by: CTinSF | Mar 6, 2007 1:30:54 PM

25. She is trying to play both sides. This is what she does when she gets into controversy.

She knows what people mean when they say the F-word. It's used against gay people not as she described. She then trys to "compliment" gay people by saying she would never insult us by comparing us to John Edwards. She completely loses it when she says that the Republican party is pro-gay. Nobody but the delusional believe that.

Posted by: Jack! | Mar 6, 2007 2:20:43 PM