Comments

1. Gregg says

Andy – I don’t get it… you seem to be generally forward thinking in your presentation of gay issues. Yet, you continually push D&G, even though Gabbana has been outspoken about how gay people shouldn’t be parents and how it’s “cruel” to take a child away from it’s mother – like when a child is raised by two loving men.

Are there no other designers who tickle your fancy? More pro-gay, or at least less self hating and homophobic?

I guess it just goes to show that gay people really are cheap and easy, and we can be bought with a few sexy shots of half-naked good looking men. We’ll put money in the pockets of those who would hurt us politically, because they give us some eye candy. Sad.

2. Frozen North says

Gabbana may be a jerk, but Dolce is…well dolce. Probably why they broke up.

Besides, lighten up. It can’t always be doom and gloom, or as “Breakfast on Pluto” would have it..Serious! Serious!

But you are right in one sense. I wonder what other designers and gay designers in particular are doing, both in advertising and in promoting our cause.

3. anon says

I’ve noticed that lately you will actually see men touching each other in promotional shots and ads, something unthinkable even a few years ago (even if it was just an arm around the shoulder). Not here, but in other cases. It would be good to some prime examples on this topic in the NYT style section or something.

4. Derrick from PHilly says

Denise:
    Why do you believe they’re sweaty? If they have on brand new underwear they’re going to bathe first. Who’d put on brand new underwear over a sweaty butt and wet balls? How disturbing. Must be a straight boy thing.

5. peterparker says

I agree with Gregg’s sentiments on Dolce and Gabbana. After Stefano Gabbana opened his piehole about how terrible it is for homosexuals to adopt children I vowed to never ever buy another Dolce and Gabbana t-shirt, dress shirt, sweater or bomber jacket with a beaver collar (sniff!). And frankly, Andy, while I know this is your blog I’d just as soon never see another article here about Dolce and Gabbana.

6. brig says

Anon: incredibly enogh, last year in Italy there was a furniture (or clothing???) ad poster of two men kissing or embracing or getting cozy (in a sweet way) on a couch. they looked like a “normal” (excuse me for the term) loving couple, not as a sex-hungry duo like stupid D&G ads portray gay or ethero couples. I think that’s the best way to introduce gay and lesbian reality in closed societies such as Italy, rather than have odious character such as the queer eye (italian version, but the US was no better) guys who make gays look like these frivoluos flamboyant creatures running around desperate for people to have “good taste”. (sorry for my lousy english). Dolce and Gabbana make quite a contribution to such a far-from-reality idea of homosexuality.

7. Fashionboi says

Heatherette is a team of up and coming openly gay designers who support the Human Rights Campaign while using the support of current pop-culture icons. So there ARE gay designers who help out…..I have to say though Dolce and Gabbana may have some of the most amazing fashion photography I have ever seen.

8. anon says

Excuse me, the Heatherette duo are not “designers”, they’re stylists pretending to be designers… learn to cut a suit or wrap fabric and then we’ll talk.

9. says

Blasphemy sacrilege
    how dare you talk ill of Dolce & Gabbana

The article was taken out of context. Read the entire article he wants kids but wants a female in its l ife the mother and he lives with his spouse like divorced parents. You also have to consider their society its like carribeans and hispanics males are so close to their mothers he is saying it in that sense not homophobic.

NOw go repent you heathens. I curse you with eternal worst dressed.

By them and Gucci with Tom Ford( probably racing against each other) putting men together in sexual situations it transcended wel be nice accept us and put it as normal no second thought so stfu