I'm Gay | I'm Not Gay | Mika | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Mika Reports Death Threats for Silence on Sexuality

MikaPop star Mika, whom Arjan profiled for Towleroad last week, says he's been receiving gay death threats because he won't discuss his sexuality. He told the Evening Standard:

"I get hate messages all the time, a death threat. It was over whether I am gay or not. He wasn't happy that I won't talk about my personal life like that. Sometimes I think that I have made it, other times it is a bit worrying...I never talk about anything to do with my sexuality, I don't think I need to. People ask me all the time. In order to survive I've shut up different parts of my life, and that's one of them, especially this early in my career, I don't really feel that it's necessary to know in terms of my music. Some people make records that are defined by their sexuality, but mine really are not. It does play a lot with campness. It has a theatricality to it. Why not? It's pop music. If you're 14-years-old and you're gay, well, just do whatever you want. I'm not confused and I don't have any barriers about the way I live my life. That's why I don't want to put it under the microscope."

Not surprisingly, Mika didn't want to talk about it with Arjan either.

Comments

1. One loon writes him a "death threat" and he's got to make the whole community look like radicals.

Stay in the closet, who gives a shit?

Posted by: Mike | Mar 26, 2007 8:46:51 AM

2. Hmmm... I wonder what Johnny Wier would do?

Posted by: Rad | Mar 26, 2007 8:50:26 AM

3. Sanjaya, er, Mika, really needs to settle down...

Posted by: Wayne | Mar 26, 2007 8:51:00 AM

4. Wow! I wonder how many death threats Ryan Seacrest, Anderson Cooper or any closeted celeb who is way more famous than this twat get!

Posted by: Toto | Mar 26, 2007 8:56:16 AM

5. he's making it a much bigger issue than it needs to be... he's milking it.
    all he needs to do is say "i'm gay, no big deal" ...and move onto the next question, produce another hit.
    his hype has backfired.

Posted by: A.J. | Mar 26, 2007 9:13:59 AM

6. Or maybe - just maybe - people should respect his privacy in this matter. Is the gay community so in need of a champion that any quasi-celebrity who might be gay needs to be hounded about that intensely personal aspect of his life? How unfortunate.

Posted by: Jordan | Mar 26, 2007 9:18:14 AM

7. This is a "hero"?

Posted by: hill_w | Mar 26, 2007 9:20:06 AM

8. Y-A-W-N!!!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Mar 26, 2007 9:24:43 AM

9. He does a great impression of Freddy Mercury when he sings ---

"I never talk about anything to do with my sexuality, I don't think I need to."

Blah Blah Blah ... closeted performers are boring and self-serving in 2007.

Posted by: rjp3 | Mar 26, 2007 9:38:48 AM

10. If he doesn't want to discuss his sexuality that's his business, but that was the same attitude Ricky Martin had and look how well that worked for him in the U.S..

Posted by: mjb | Mar 26, 2007 9:48:32 AM

11. Boring, and certainly not worth a death threat.

Posted by: Anita Woodward | Mar 26, 2007 10:21:29 AM

12. Is Mr. Mika sure the threats weren't calling for the death of his "career"?

Posted by: Rey | Mar 26, 2007 10:32:12 AM

13. The problem is is that if you say "I don't want to discuss my sexuality", its all anyone wants to discuss about you so you may as well come out because you will be hounded by the press until you do. The public doesn't give a damn because it's obvious that he is gay so he doesn't really need to confirm it...but he gets slated if he doesn't. I feel some sympathy for him because he wants to retain control over certain aspects of his personal life and once you lift the lid on it, as far as the press is concerned, its open season on your entire life - look at George Michael; the tabloids have stalked him and given him nothihg but grief ever since he came out.

Posted by: atheist | Mar 26, 2007 10:32:57 AM

14. Talk about who is this guy and why would anyone want him gay? Never heard of him, so, I guess this sort of thing must be the news to get him more well known to the masses for whatever his gig is to make him have to deny that he is gay, or even a man for that matter.

Posted by: Luke | Mar 26, 2007 10:45:01 AM

15. I agree with "Atheist". Mika feeds the frenzy by making such statements.

I could care less, actually, but I think that we're all better served when we are all honest about who and what we are.

Posted by: Jonathon | Mar 26, 2007 11:07:48 AM

16. What an absolutely pathetic attempt to get publicity. Babe, if you can't get a publicist because you aren't talented enough (and I TOTALLY believe that is the case) then HIRE one!!!!!!!

xo
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 26, 2007 11:48:46 AM

17. Pfft. Unlike Ricky Martin(?), it's pretty clear to anyone what Mika's sexuality is. He's not hiding it at all, just not discussing it, which is his prerogative. (Not that he can stop anyone from asking...that's their right.)

Posted by: karashi | Mar 26, 2007 12:28:20 PM

18. Mika is wildly popular in England - a number one hit for 4 consecutive weeks on the charts. He's a very big celeb - just because you haven't heard of him, it's no reflection on him.

LOL - do you really think a major pop star doesn't have a publicist? This is all part of the plan, people. Following in Morrisey's footsteps.

I don't respect this kind of waffling, but it makes total sense when he's trying to make it big in good-ol'-homophobic-USA.

Posted by: Gregg | Mar 26, 2007 12:41:58 PM

19. Macy Gray has a new CD out today. I, for one, am boycotting it. Forget about her music. Obviously, she is African-American. As far as I am concerned, she should be talking about being a Black woman and what it is like to be African-American every time someone even thinks about shoving a microphone in her face. She should do nothing but set an example for young African-American children - no, make that young people of color - all around the world. She should quit recording, quit touring and do nothing but use her celebrity and fame for the betterment of people of color all around the world. How dare she just sing? And you know what really, really pisses me off? I've never even heard the woman ADMIT to being African-American! Some people…what gall. Wanting to work on their craft instead of represent an entire segment of the world population? Apalling.

Let the boy sing. Either listen or don't. I think it sad that instead of being able to experience the whirlwind of first success, Mika has to defend his right to a private life. I'm not saying that he should hide his sexuality. Instead, I offer that sometimes just *being* can be a potent and radical way of changing opinions & views.

Posted by: basis4insanity | Mar 26, 2007 12:42:16 PM

20. To quote from the movie Brain Candy:

"Because you are one of them. You are gay. You are gay. You are a homosexual. The opposite of straight, you're gay. I know it. Your family knows it. Dogs know it. Everyone seems to know it except you."

It might be different if he could "pass" for straight, but from what I've seen the guy is flaming. There is no question at all to which way this queen swings.

Eh... and with that I am done caring for 2.03 seconds about this twat.

Posted by: RP | Mar 26, 2007 12:56:54 PM

21. Hey, the death threats claims worked for Reichen. Soon to be opening a grocery store near you.

Posted by: Leland | Mar 26, 2007 1:20:07 PM

22. "I don't have any real talent but fangirls think I'm cute and buy my albums, so I best not upset them with being gay. My non-denial denials will convince everyone too! And now I find I have to non-deny deny even when no one is asking me! And add in scary death threats! Ohhh, are you going to print that?..."

Posted by: anon | Mar 26, 2007 1:39:57 PM

23. Atheist and others are wrong. There are many people that ignore or purposefully deny someone is gay when they are closeted. Look at Lance Bass. When he came out there were many people that couldn't believe he was gay even though it was obvious for years.

Secondly, death threats are serious. Nobody wants their life threatened. There is a reason why celebrities have bodyguards and securty details.

Mika is a good guy. When he is ready to come out he will. I'm almost certain that his pr team is telling him what to say for these questions.

Posted by: Jack! | Mar 26, 2007 1:44:26 PM

24. There's an interview with him in yesterday's San Francisco Chronicle, and in the introduction the auhtor (not Mika) makes it very clear that Mika is gay. Again, those aren't Mika's words, and I doubt his PR team was thrilled to see it...but it's clearly an open secret.

Posted by: Paul | Mar 26, 2007 2:20:20 PM

25. OMG...who cares??? His music sucks!!!!!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 26, 2007 2:31:11 PM