Mika Reports Death Threats for Silence on Sexuality

MikaPop star Mika, whom Arjan profiled for Towleroad last week, says he’s been receiving gay death threats because he won’t discuss his sexuality. He told the Evening Standard:

“I get hate messages all the time, a death threat. It was over whether I am gay or not. He wasn’t happy that I won’t talk about my personal life like that. Sometimes I think that I have made it, other times it is a bit worrying…I never talk about anything to do with my sexuality, I don’t think I need to. People ask me all the time. In order to survive I’ve shut up different parts of my life, and that’s one of them, especially this early in my career, I don’t really feel that it’s necessary to know in terms of my music. Some people make records that are defined by their sexuality, but mine really are not. It does play a lot with campness. It has a theatricality to it. Why not? It’s pop music. If you’re 14-years-old and you’re gay, well, just do whatever you want. I’m not confused and I don’t have any barriers about the way I live my life. That’s why I don’t want to put it under the microscope.”

Not surprisingly, Mika didn’t want to talk about it with Arjan either.

Comments

1. Mike says

One loon writes him a “death threat” and he’s got to make the whole community look like radicals.

Stay in the closet, who gives a shit?

2. Toto says

Wow! I wonder how many death threats Ryan Seacrest, Anderson Cooper or any closeted celeb who is way more famous than this twat get!

3. says

he’s making it a much bigger issue than it needs to be… he’s milking it.
    all he needs to do is say “i’m gay, no big deal” …and move onto the next question, produce another hit.
    his hype has backfired.

4. Jordan says

Or maybe – just maybe – people should respect his privacy in this matter. Is the gay community so in need of a champion that any quasi-celebrity who might be gay needs to be hounded about that intensely personal aspect of his life? How unfortunate.

5. rjp3 says

He does a great impression of Freddy Mercury when he sings —

“I never talk about anything to do with my sexuality, I don’t think I need to.”

Blah Blah Blah … closeted performers are boring and self-serving in 2007.

6. says

If he doesn’t want to discuss his sexuality that’s his business, but that was the same attitude Ricky Martin had and look how well that worked for him in the U.S..

7. atheist says

The problem is is that if you say “I don’t want to discuss my sexuality”, its all anyone wants to discuss about you so you may as well come out because you will be hounded by the press until you do. The public doesn’t give a damn because it’s obvious that he is gay so he doesn’t really need to confirm it…but he gets slated if he doesn’t. I feel some sympathy for him because he wants to retain control over certain aspects of his personal life and once you lift the lid on it, as far as the press is concerned, its open season on your entire life – look at George Michael; the tabloids have stalked him and given him nothihg but grief ever since he came out.

8. Luke says

Talk about who is this guy and why would anyone want him gay? Never heard of him, so, I guess this sort of thing must be the news to get him more well known to the masses for whatever his gig is to make him have to deny that he is gay, or even a man for that matter.

9. Jonathon says

I agree with “Atheist”. Mika feeds the frenzy by making such statements.

I could care less, actually, but I think that we’re all better served when we are all honest about who and what we are.

10. peterparker says

What an absolutely pathetic attempt to get publicity. Babe, if you can’t get a publicist because you aren’t talented enough (and I TOTALLY believe that is the case) then HIRE one!!!!!!!

xo
    peterparker

11. karashi says

Pfft. Unlike Ricky Martin(?), it’s pretty clear to anyone what Mika’s sexuality is. He’s not hiding it at all, just not discussing it, which is his prerogative. (Not that he can stop anyone from asking…that’s their right.)

12. Gregg says

Mika is wildly popular in England – a number one hit for 4 consecutive weeks on the charts. He’s a very big celeb – just because you haven’t heard of him, it’s no reflection on him.

LOL – do you really think a major pop star doesn’t have a publicist? This is all part of the plan, people. Following in Morrisey’s footsteps.

I don’t respect this kind of waffling, but it makes total sense when he’s trying to make it big in good-ol’-homophobic-USA.

13. basis4insanity says

Macy Gray has a new CD out today. I, for one, am boycotting it. Forget about her music. Obviously, she is African-American. As far as I am concerned, she should be talking about being a Black woman and what it is like to be African-American every time someone even thinks about shoving a microphone in her face. She should do nothing but set an example for young African-American children – no, make that young people of color – all around the world. She should quit recording, quit touring and do nothing but use her celebrity and fame for the betterment of people of color all around the world. How dare she just sing? And you know what really, really pisses me off? I’ve never even heard the woman ADMIT to being African-American! Some people…what gall. Wanting to work on their craft instead of represent an entire segment of the world population? Apalling.

14. RP says

To quote from the movie Brain Candy:

“Because you are one of them. You are gay. You are gay. You are a homosexual. The opposite of straight, you’re gay. I know it. Your family knows it. Dogs know it. Everyone seems to know it except you.”

It might be different if he could “pass” for straight, but from what I’ve seen the guy is flaming. There is no question at all to which way this queen swings.

Eh… and with that I am done caring for 2.03 seconds about this twat.

15. Leland says

Hey, the death threats claims worked for Reichen. Soon to be opening a grocery store near you.

16. anon says

“I don’t have any real talent but fangirls think I’m cute and buy my albums, so I best not upset them with being gay. My non-denial denials will convince everyone too! And now I find I have to non-deny deny even when no one is asking me! And add in scary death threats! Ohhh, are you going to print that?…”

17. Jack! says

Atheist and others are wrong. There are many people that ignore or purposefully deny someone is gay when they are closeted. Look at Lance Bass. When he came out there were many people that couldn’t believe he was gay even though it was obvious for years.

Secondly, death threats are serious. Nobody wants their life threatened. There is a reason why celebrities have bodyguards and securty details.

Mika is a good guy. When he is ready to come out he will. I’m almost certain that his pr team is telling him what to say for these questions.

18. Paul says

There’s an interview with him in yesterday’s San Francisco Chronicle, and in the introduction the auhtor (not Mika) makes it very clear that Mika is gay. Again, those aren’t Mika’s words, and I doubt his PR team was thrilled to see it…but it’s clearly an open secret.

19. mark says

I posted a comment to the Ian Thorps post which went something like this:

For the LOVE OF GOD, find something interestoing to post. WHO cares?

20. says

“Let the boy sing. Either listen or don’t. I think it sad that instead of being able to experience the whirlwind of first success, Mika has to defend his right to a private life. I’m not saying that he should hide his sexuality. Instead, I offer that sometimes just *being* can be a potent and radical way of changing opinions & views.”
    Posted by: basis4insanity |

Well put.

I suggested the same thing the other day, but usually these kind of speech are met with vitriolic responses.

What Mika is saying is highlighting the fact that gay men CAN be hateful like the homophobes we claim to combat. “What, gay men can be hateful?? say it ain’t so!! we are never selfish, shortsighted nor hateful! we’re in it for our rights!”.

The reality is this: Mika is just one of 568,976,456 men and women in the world who are in one form of the closet or another.. The difference is that Mika is in the public eye, has a new career, and is somewhat still hot in the press – which some are holding against him, even though they assert to “looathe his music”.

With more and more people in the community joining the self-righteous Outing Church, where one is made a “virtuous gay” by simple way of coming out when the church dogmatically decides it’s time (and not being a decent human being..embracing differences through one speech or one’s art..making contributions to the community or its causes etc) – we’re now having an army of gay men led by the likes of P*rez Hilton who are maligning LGBT for a profit, while our rights orgs are watching, and justify themselves with the propesterous idea that this maligning act is fighting for gay rights.

But as Lance, Dougie, TR and others have come to find out, the Outing Church is never satisfied…meaning they’ll continue to be on the recieving end of hate & comtempt from the “virtuous gays”; who themselves will continue to plaster their walls with pictures of their hetero celebs, and support GLAAD’s policy of excluding gays from award contendency, and never once question what they’re doing that could ever be less than gay-virtuous..

21. el polacko says

there’s no need to describe which hole you prefer it in, a simple acknowledgement takes care of it. be who you are, come the fuck out … or shut the hell up. i’ve had it with all this coy bullshit.

22. chriss says

He doesn’t want attention over his sexuality or personal life but he keeps complaining and talking about it? He’s getting the opposite effect, if he just said “yep I’m gay now shut the f*ck up and let me sing” people would stop paying attention and the controversy ends.

23. says

I am not sure if anyone noted how much Mika is courting Perez Hilton. Ahh, the irony. Perez does stuff on M’s music, hosts parties for him etc. Mika is photgraphed with his arm around Perez Hilton.

I also wonder if an exclusive coming out article is in the works with a certain UK publication…

24. says

If there is one thing Mika has done… its make many members of the gay community upset by his behaviour. Out or not – don’t mess with us. We’re smarter than that.

25. Teri B. says

Goddamit, he’s not even “closeted.” He said himself, listen to his songs. He’s never said he was straight, did he? He simply doesn’t want to talk about his sex life–AT ALL–with the press. Is that so radical?

And he has a point. Why do we feel that we deserve to know?

I do the same thing at my job, and I don’t consider it being “closeted”–I’m also involved in a bunch of lgbtq organizations–but I don’t feel that who I’m dating, or even if I’m dating, is any of people’s business.

26. GregV says

I find the Evening Standard headline really annoying. It says in big, bold letters “I`m receiving gay death threats.“
    Then when you read the article you realize the quote in the headline has a plural when the real quote from Mika talks about one guy making one threat because `HE` was mad. I wasn`t even sure what a `gay death threat` is (and I`m still not even sure if it`s a gay guy or if it`s a straight guy who made it}, but the headline itself makes it sound like a crazed gay community is violently hounding him.

27. GregV says