Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | News | Pope Benedict

BigGayDeal.com

Pope: Catholic Position on Gay Marriage "Non-Negotiable"

Pope Benedict told Catholic legislators, politicians, and those in positions of power that they have a "grave responsibility before society" to uphold the views of the Catholic Church and defend certain "fundamental values".

Pope_4According to Reuters, "he said these [values] included 'respect for human life, its defense from conception to natural death, the family built on marriage between a man and a woman, the freedom to educate one's children and the promotion of the common good in all its forms.'"

Said the Pope: "These values are not negotiable."

The statements were made in a 140-page "booklet" drawn from an assembly of clergy which took place at the Vatican in 2005. In a statement that seemed directed at Italian leaders currently mulling over gay rights legislation, the Pope said Catholic leaders "must feel particularly bound, on the basis of a properly formed conscience, to introduce laws inspired by values grounded in human nature."

You may have missed...
Gays in Rome Protest Against the Vatican [tr]

Comments

1. See JOY's comments. She's pretty much got it correct.

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 14, 2007 8:41:12 AM

2. Um, to you Jack! , Just because 98% of the world does it, doesn't mean it's right. FYI, nope, haven't had premarital sex. I'm 24 years old, and believe it or not, I have a wonderful boyfriend that I've been with for over a year. We aren't going to complicate our relationship with the pressures that come with that realm. We love each other and we're going to get married. Self righteous? No. I'm not perfect. I just know what's right and wrong.

zlexar, fair enough. I agree with you that you should be able to visit your partner, and I totally agree that you should not be fired from your job. I don't think you should be cast out of society. Not at all what I'm saying; and yes I realize you didn't say that either.

Posted by: Joy | Mar 14, 2007 8:42:52 AM

3. If there's one thing I remember about the bible, it was the part where Jesus was trashing gays, saying that allowing them to marry would nullify man-on-woman love. It was in the book of Bullshiticus, I believe. . .

Posted by: Julia Gulia | Mar 14, 2007 8:56:48 AM

4. Um..yeah real clever there Julia.

Posted by: Joy | Mar 14, 2007 6:18:29 PM

5. Cecelyn,

I agree with you. They get all up in arms when someone calls them a "fag" or "homo", but it's quite allright to throw the name calling around to anyone else hey?

Posted by: Alex | Mar 14, 2007 6:25:44 PM

6. Alex, who's "they"? Looking at this as an US/THEM thing is the whole problem. We're not so different. You and I both want to live our lives enjoying basic human and civil rights. What I do in my home and life has absolutely no effect on you, so why do you care so much? YOU and Joy have a moral code that says homosexuality is wrong. I don't share it. How dare you and your Pope try to foist it on me. There are billions of people walking this Earth who don't believe in your God or anything he's supposedly said.

ZLEXAR said best what I think most of us feel, and it bears repeating.

Joy, I would have NO PROBLEM with the Catholic Church and the Pope if he was simply sticking to matters involving church ceremony and sanction. He can tell catholics what to do all he wants, and they can choose to obey him all they want. I may not approve, but it's really none of my business. What I object to is the pope trying to influence the secular laws of a nation regarding the rights and privileges of citizens, many of whom aren't even catholic. That's what the entire article was about! When the pope sticks his nose out of the church and into the legal process, he's trying to affect my life. That makes it my business. Perhaps if he stops trying to alter my world, I'll stop trying to alter his. Does that sound reasonable?

You live by your religion and your moral code, I live by mine. Why is that not OK?

Posted by: Michael | Mar 14, 2007 6:45:39 PM

7. There is about a million times too much hate in these comments, I suppose this is a pro-gay board so my comment will fall on def ears but do you truely believe our world and the fabric that is holding it together can survive when we cannot expect men and women to hold a sacred sacrament and inturn reproduce?

Gay Mariage sounds like a great idea, why dont we all try it, wait we cant because the world would cease to exist in a generation. God fearing or not doesnt that ring bells?

-Beefey

Posted by: Beefey | Aug 4, 2008 2:49:24 AM

8. Beefey how does gay marriage prevent men and women from having a sacred union? Two men and two women can now have a sacred union in CA and MA and things are fine. How does gay marriage stop men and women from reproducing? The birth rateYour comments reflect personal opinion and bias, which you have the right to, but not to use to control others who are more open minded and want to exercise the freedoms they have under the constitution.

Posted by: Vi Agara | Aug 4, 2008 6:52:57 AM

9. So, Beefey is worried that gay marriage will make everyone stop having heterosex.

Not much thought going on there.

Posted by: MAJeff | Aug 4, 2008 8:34:10 AM

10. There is more at hand than just that, I am a college guy and right now in dire need of insurance as I am not employed it would be VERY expensive to obtain it privately. There is a solution to this and if gay marriage is allowed I might just exercise. I will marry my buddy. He is a working person and insurance is also offered to his spose or in this case his freshman roomate...

-Beefey

Posted by: Beefey | Aug 5, 2008 1:45:51 AM

11. All I'd like to say is that if homosexuals would like to be "married", leave God out of it. It should be treated as a formality instead of a sacred and holy ritual. You're gay and want to get "married" Fine! Just do it by law (and i'm sure the day will come when you can) and know that God is definately not with you on it.. although I doubt you care. Good Luck and may the (terrestrial)law be with you

Posted by: Jose | Jul 17, 2009 10:04:49 PM