American Idol | I'm Gay | News | Ryan Seacrest | Simon Cowell

BigGayDeal.com

Simon Cowell Urges Ryan Seacrest: Come Out of the Closet

A joke about Ryan Seacrest's sexuality sparked a minor uproar on American Idol last night, as Simon Cowell urged host Seacrest to come out of the closet.

Seacrest: "We have a question from Georgia. What do you consider the hardest part of this contest?"

Melinda Doolittle: "Wow. I would have to say the high heels and these dresses. I like my tennis shoes and my sweat pants. I'm sorry."

Seacrest: "Simon, any advice on the high heels?"

Cowell: "You should know, Ryan."

Seacrest: "Stay out of my closet, Simon."

Cowell: "Well, come out."

Seacrest: "This is about the top twelve. Okay? Not your wishes...We're friends."

Of course the whole thing was a joke. Really.

Comments

1. I'm glad you've got the video. I looked for it last night, but couldn't find it. Funny.

Posted by: word | Mar 14, 2007 11:22:43 AM

2. I only saw parts of American Idol last night for the first time in a couple of years. I noticed Seacrest seems really uptight. He only touches the women now - and the homophobic back and forth with Simon never stopped. I think Seacrest has been getting image guidance from someone.

It's all so masculine, macho, and manly. I'm sooo not gay. I'm soooooooo not gay.

It's really pathetic.

Posted by: BeeDee | Mar 14, 2007 11:27:54 AM

3. Simon is sharp, I like him...

Posted by: Sean | Mar 14, 2007 11:28:04 AM

4. I'll probably get flamed for sayin' this, but I actually don't think Seacrest *IS* gay. I think the is he / isn't he banter only keeps the show relevant with viewers...

Of course now that I say this, all those "my cousins' ex-boyfriend saw him at Splash" comments will materialize.

Posted by: jason | Mar 14, 2007 11:30:13 AM

5. I don't care if Seacrest is gay or not. That's his business, but the comment from Simon in regards to gay people wearing high heels is rather insulting. I hope he gets blasted for that.

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 14, 2007 11:30:23 AM

6. For the first time, I've actually been watching this show. I disagree with Beedee. Mr. Seacrest has been very physical with the men. Yes, too, the cat fighting is highly calculated. You'll find it only around the top performers, too. I think it's intended to make stellar performances, like Ms. Doolittle's, engraved in people's memories so they vote for them.

Posted by: JT | Mar 14, 2007 11:36:45 AM

7. If Seacrest is in fact gay, why wouldn't he come out? what is it about his professional career that would be in jeopardy? does he have an action movie franchise that appeals to 14 year old boys that I don't know about?

Posted by: hoya86 | Mar 14, 2007 11:36:45 AM

8. This is more irritating than Ann Coulter.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Mar 14, 2007 11:43:42 AM

9. Is Ryan Seacrest behind Ted Casablanca being yanked from E! TV?

I don't get Ryan Seacrest's success...There appears to be some pact with the devil or other sugardaddy going on.

Does anyone have any facts?

Posted by: Bob | Mar 14, 2007 11:53:50 AM

10. This "you're gay. No, you're gay. No, you're really gay. No, you're really gayer" banter between Ryan and Simon is getting stale. They need a new routine.

Posted by: sam | Mar 14, 2007 11:55:41 AM

11. All I can say is this, and I mean it deadly seriously:

Having these two men gay-bait each other insultingly, and with real malice, week after week on the highest-rated show in America is doing a huge disservice to gay America, and America as a whole. It needs to stop.

Posted by: adamblast | Mar 14, 2007 12:11:43 PM

12. I was being sarcastic describing the posturing on the show.

I was commenting on Seacrests more natural reparte with the men on the show in the past. Now, there's no physical affection.

It's all homophobic crap.

Most management in Hollywood is old school. They're still advising clients that want to make it big to testosterone up to move to the next level. There's no doubt in my mind that Seacrest has been advised to un-metrosexualize himself ASAP.

I think Simon is secure enough in himself that he's screwing with Seacrest knowing that he's under new marching orders.

And I agree, it only fosters gay men as "less than" and people that are to be trivialized.

Like I said before, it's pathetic.

Posted by: BeeDee | Mar 14, 2007 12:33:27 PM

13. I find it rather odd that Simon Cowell would tease Ryan Seacrest about being in the closet.

Since Simon Cowell shot to fame in the UK, there have been many stories in the British tabloid press about one night stands, Simon cheating on his girlfriend etc.

Bearing in mind Simon Cowell is a client of the notorious PR guru Max Clifford (who admits that his job is to actually keep stories out of the newspapers), it all looks rather contrived.

Posted by: Leo | Mar 14, 2007 12:48:51 PM

14. No closeted gay man would be such a flamer.

Posted by: Simon | Mar 14, 2007 1:15:17 PM

15. the rumor is that Seacrest was a project of Merv Griffin's - yup he was once Griffin's boy toy

deal people - the guy is as gay as it gets

the stage photo op date with Terry Hatcher at the beach proved that (and she was PISSED)

Posted by: rjp3 | Mar 14, 2007 1:18:36 PM

16. The real issue here, don't forget:

Melinda Doolittle is AWESOME! Wow, what a talent. Too amazing for words.

Posted by: Shawn | Mar 14, 2007 1:19:55 PM

17. I bet Cowell feels free to make those jokes because the idea of Seacrest having sex with ANYONE is ridiculous. Seacrest strikes me as completely asexual and most likely afraid of sexual contact/intimacy of any sort hence his insane work schedule - it would not even surprise me to find out he was a virgin of the 30 year old variety.

If he is actually gay I doubt he's even admitted it to himself let alone Cowell, Jackson and poor, poor Paula Abdul who really should sue the Doctor that continues to prescribe whatver pain meds she is clearly addicted to - I swear at one point last night she was gnashing her teeth as if she were tweeking.

Posted by: GIOVANNI | Mar 14, 2007 1:24:29 PM

18. It sounded like it was a bit scripted to me.

Posted by: anon | Mar 14, 2007 1:47:19 PM

19. "I swear at one point last night she was gnashing her teeth as if she were tweeking."

Or how about that drunken sobbing at the end of Melinda's song that had Simon unable to keep a straight face.

Everyone's in on the joke.

I just wish the judges and the host would stop thinking they are the stars of the show. It's clearly all about Lakisha and Melinda, so let's focus, people!

Posted by: mark m | Mar 14, 2007 1:50:42 PM

20. Simon has been gay-baiting from the first season. I think he says what Americans would say. That's reality. Americans are fine slamming gay people they just can't handle positive open portrayals of them.

Posted by: Jack! | Mar 14, 2007 1:59:10 PM

21. Am I the only one who felt that whole little back-and-forth sounded terribly scripted?

Posted by: Alec | Mar 14, 2007 2:06:46 PM

22. I'm really saddened by the thought that people can actually sit through this crap and call it "entertainment". Ryan Seacrest AND Simon Cowell are both turds in a punchbowl.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Mar 14, 2007 2:07:56 PM

23. There was no "minor uproar." Sure, it's worth posting here and opening it up for discussion. But don't just make shit up.

They've been doing this same routine for six years now... and at this point, it does feel a bit scripted. But it hardly caused an outrage.

Posted by: chrisb | Mar 14, 2007 2:17:49 PM

24. I always found Simon Cowell pretty flaming. Maybe its because he is british or maybe its also the fact that he judges women like an old queen and stole George Michael's haircut and refuses to give it back.

Posted by: Toto | Mar 14, 2007 2:18:10 PM

25. wasn't this gong show's ryan seacrest just merv's replacement for his dance fever's danny terrio ??

Posted by: A.J. | Mar 14, 2007 4:14:14 PM