Simon Cowell Urges Ryan Seacrest: Come Out of the Closet

A joke about Ryan Seacrest’s sexuality sparked a minor uproar on American Idol last night, as Simon Cowell urged host Seacrest to come out of the closet.

Seacrest: “We have a question from Georgia. What do you consider the hardest part of this contest?”

Melinda Doolittle: “Wow. I would have to say the high heels and these dresses. I like my tennis shoes and my sweat pants. I’m sorry.”

Seacrest: “Simon, any advice on the high heels?”

Cowell: “You should know, Ryan.”

Seacrest: “Stay out of my closet, Simon.”

Cowell: “Well, come out.”

Seacrest: “This is about the top twelve. Okay? Not your wishes…We’re friends.”

Of course the whole thing was a joke. Really.

Comments

1. BeeDee says

I only saw parts of American Idol last night for the first time in a couple of years. I noticed Seacrest seems really uptight. He only touches the women now – and the homophobic back and forth with Simon never stopped. I think Seacrest has been getting image guidance from someone.

It’s all so masculine, macho, and manly. I’m sooo not gay. I’m soooooooo not gay.

It’s really pathetic.

2. says

I’ll probably get flamed for sayin’ this, but I actually don’t think Seacrest *IS* gay. I think the is he / isn’t he banter only keeps the show relevant with viewers…

Of course now that I say this, all those “my cousins’ ex-boyfriend saw him at Splash” comments will materialize.

3. says

I don’t care if Seacrest is gay or not. That’s his business, but the comment from Simon in regards to gay people wearing high heels is rather insulting. I hope he gets blasted for that.

4. JT says

For the first time, I’ve actually been watching this show. I disagree with Beedee. Mr. Seacrest has been very physical with the men. Yes, too, the cat fighting is highly calculated. You’ll find it only around the top performers, too. I think it’s intended to make stellar performances, like Ms. Doolittle’s, engraved in people’s memories so they vote for them.

5. hoya86 says

If Seacrest is in fact gay, why wouldn’t he come out? what is it about his professional career that would be in jeopardy? does he have an action movie franchise that appeals to 14 year old boys that I don’t know about?

6. Bob says

Is Ryan Seacrest behind Ted Casablanca being yanked from E! TV?

I don’t get Ryan Seacrest’s success…There appears to be some pact with the devil or other sugardaddy going on.

Does anyone have any facts?

7. sam says

This “you’re gay. No, you’re gay. No, you’re really gay. No, you’re really gayer” banter between Ryan and Simon is getting stale. They need a new routine.

8. adamblast says

All I can say is this, and I mean it deadly seriously:

Having these two men gay-bait each other insultingly, and with real malice, week after week on the highest-rated show in America is doing a huge disservice to gay America, and America as a whole. It needs to stop.

9. BeeDee says

I was being sarcastic describing the posturing on the show.

I was commenting on Seacrests more natural reparte with the men on the show in the past. Now, there’s no physical affection.

It’s all homophobic crap.

Most management in Hollywood is old school. They’re still advising clients that want to make it big to testosterone up to move to the next level. There’s no doubt in my mind that Seacrest has been advised to un-metrosexualize himself ASAP.

I think Simon is secure enough in himself that he’s screwing with Seacrest knowing that he’s under new marching orders.

And I agree, it only fosters gay men as “less than” and people that are to be trivialized.

Like I said before, it’s pathetic.

10. Leo says

I find it rather odd that Simon Cowell would tease Ryan Seacrest about being in the closet.

Since Simon Cowell shot to fame in the UK, there have been many stories in the British tabloid press about one night stands, Simon cheating on his girlfriend etc.

Bearing in mind Simon Cowell is a client of the notorious PR guru Max Clifford (who admits that his job is to actually keep stories out of the newspapers), it all looks rather contrived.

11. rjp3 says

the rumor is that Seacrest was a project of Merv Griffin’s – yup he was once Griffin’s boy toy

deal people – the guy is as gay as it gets

the stage photo op date with Terry Hatcher at the beach proved that (and she was PISSED)

12. GIOVANNI says

I bet Cowell feels free to make those jokes because the idea of Seacrest having sex with ANYONE is ridiculous. Seacrest strikes me as completely asexual and most likely afraid of sexual contact/intimacy of any sort hence his insane work schedule – it would not even surprise me to find out he was a virgin of the 30 year old variety.

If he is actually gay I doubt he’s even admitted it to himself let alone Cowell, Jackson and poor, poor Paula Abdul who really should sue the Doctor that continues to prescribe whatver pain meds she is clearly addicted to – I swear at one point last night she was gnashing her teeth as if she were tweeking.

13. mark m says

“I swear at one point last night she was gnashing her teeth as if she were tweeking.”

Or how about that drunken sobbing at the end of Melinda’s song that had Simon unable to keep a straight face.

Everyone’s in on the joke.

I just wish the judges and the host would stop thinking they are the stars of the show. It’s clearly all about Lakisha and Melinda, so let’s focus, people!

14. Jack! says

Simon has been gay-baiting from the first season. I think he says what Americans would say. That’s reality. Americans are fine slamming gay people they just can’t handle positive open portrayals of them.

15. FizziekruntNT says

I’m really saddened by the thought that people can actually sit through this crap and call it “entertainment”. Ryan Seacrest AND Simon Cowell are both turds in a punchbowl.

16. says

There was no “minor uproar.” Sure, it’s worth posting here and opening it up for discussion. But don’t just make shit up.

They’ve been doing this same routine for six years now… and at this point, it does feel a bit scripted. But it hardly caused an outrage.

17. Toto says

I always found Simon Cowell pretty flaming. Maybe its because he is british or maybe its also the fact that he judges women like an old queen and stole George Michael’s haircut and refuses to give it back.

18. el polacko says

with all of ryan and simon’s often-scripted, usually lame, gay-baiting each other, the news that idol accountants are having sex romps with contestants in the restroom, reports that blake and chris r. have “hit it off”, and girly sanjaya changing his look more often than madonna, i think the real joke is on the str8 teen girls who are swooning over these guys and feverishly dialing in their votes. as ryan himself said last week, while propositioning brandon on the air, “after all, this is hollywood!”

19. poodle says

i didnt buy the moment last night and i don’t now. the whole thing was staged. come on, the question form the internet. melinda’s response. ryans comments, then simon’s then ryans, it was all purposeful and planned.

20. Billy Rubin says

Oh please,they’re BOTH gay, can’t you people see that? You don’t have to be a genetic engineer to figure that out, geez.
    Simon acts like a grouchy old queen every week, and Ryan has had more plastic surgery than Cher even though he is only half her age. Ryan also looks like he had a permanent “bronze cream” embedded into his skin. Simon has also had lots of plastic surgery and hair implants. IF you’d see Simon how he really looks, he’d be mostly bald with what little hair he has left being totally gray. However,it was hilarious to see how Ryan made fun of Simon on national tv for turning 50. I thought that old queen was gonna fall out of his chair, he really thought no one knew he is 50, lmao. It’s so obcious they’re gay, the way they go at each other they couldn’t be cattier and more drama than queens insulting each other in gay bars. Simon and Ryan are both icky looking and acting, though. Eeew.

21. Louise7 says

Melinda Doolittle in her first-ever Nightclub engagement

November 17-21, New York City

FEINSTEIN’S AT LOEWS REGENCY, the nightclub proclaimed “Best of New York” by New York Magazine, will debut MELINDA DOOLITTLE in her first-ever nightclub engagement from November 17 – 21. The “American Idol” finalist will perform an intimate evening of jazz standards, pop hits and Broadway classics, in addition to selections from her CD, Coming Back To You. All shows are at the Regency Hotel (540 Park Avenue at 61st Street). For ticket reservations and club information, please call (212) 339-4095 or visit feinsteinsatloewsregency.com and TicketWeb.com

22. Weezzy7 says