Tony Blair’s ‘Obscene Gesture’ Revealed by News Agency

Tony_blair_gesture_1

A photograph taken of English Prime Minister Tony Blair (top row, center) while he was at Oxford in the 70’s has been in circulation for a while — in a more sanitized state. The photograph had an “obscene gesture” excised from it to protect the PM’s image.

Father Nicholas, a contemporary of Blair’s at Oxford who originally provided the photo to a news agency with the prerequisite that the gesture be taken out, said he wasn’t surprised that the original image has finally surfaced.

He added: “I suppose the BBC lawyers would be a bit worried if I was to suggest he was drunk in that photo. On the other hand, it’s probably more defamatory to say he was sober.”

You may have missed…
Stephen Fry and Tony Blair Chat About Little Britain [tr]
Blair: Catholic Adoption Agencies Can’t Discriminate Against Gays [tr]
Blair’s ‘Santa’s Ghetto’ Portrait [tr]

Comments

1. MikeinSanJose says

I’m not sure I get the gesture. Is he making like he’s jerking off, or is this ‘rude gesture’ only rude to the higher-level British sensibilities?

2. Matt says

And this is news because? Um…I think we have all done dumb shit as young people. I’m sure when he took that photo he had no clue he would be prime minister.

3. atheist says

The jerk off gesture is normally directed at someone i.e. “you’re a wanker!” It’s tantamount to sticking two fingers up at the camera with added va-va-voom…

4. Brian says

The seated gentleman on the right end of the front row looks much like Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen (sp?), who has regaled us all with horrendous interior decorating on “Changing Rooms”.

I watch too much cable.

5. titus says

if my elementary playground circa mid-1960’s central florida childhood memory serves me right, it is “shooting a wong”. were i pullled up that one from i don’t know. i can only assume it deals with a vagina and masterbation, both of which at that time in my life were sort of vague

6. Patrick says

What gesture? The lack of grooming and horrendous hairstyles are truly frightening. You’d never catch Prince Charles looking so ratty. And those glasses? Come on now. When was this? 1910?