Basketball | Gay Slurs | News | Sports

CBA Coach Micheal Ray Richardson Let Go for "Faggot" Comment

Former NBA player Micheal "Sugar" Ray Richardson, the coach of the Albany Patroons (in the Contintental Basketball Association), has been let go following a wave of media attention after Richardson made what were seen as anti-Semitic comments to the Albany Times Union and called a fan a "faggot" during game one of the CBA Championship Series with the Yakima Sun Kings.

Richardson3Richardson had commented to the Times Union that he had some "big time Jewish lawyers" working for him: "They got a lot of power in this world, you know what I mean? Which I think is great. I don't think there's nothing wrong with it. If you look in most professional sports, they're run by Jewish people. If you look at a lot of most successful corporations and stuff, more businesses, they're run by Jewish. It's not a knock, but they are some crafty people."

During the Sun King game, Richardson reportedly told a heckler, "Shut the f--- up, you faggot."

Richardson was suspended indefinitely last week following the remarks. Following his suspension, Richardson apologized: "I want to make an apology if I offended anyone. I am 100 percent sorry. I don't like being suspended, but what can I do about it?"

Yesterday, however, it was made clear that the team was declining to renew his contract. General Manager Jim Coyne said the decision to let Richardson go was ultimately based not on the comments that were seen as anti-Semitic, but the anti-gay comments Richardson had made to the fan.

Richardson responded: "I should not have cussed out the fan. I was caught up in the heat of the moment, the team didn't play well and spectators were screaming at me. I had had enough by then."

RichardsonYesterday, Richardson and his attorney spoke out in the coach's defense: "I used the words, 'He's a big-time Jewish lawyer.' And he is a big-time Jewish lawyer. He's real good in what he does. That's not a slur. It's like saying that 85 percent of the NBA is black, or 98 percent of hockey is white."

When asked about the anti-gay slur, Richardson's attorney John Aretakis spoke up: "Can I answer that? I want to answer that. Micheal Ray used that term and immediately apologized. He was in the heat of a game. The heat of competition."

Richardson and his attorney said they planned to sue the Times Union and the writer of the article for $5 million, claiming that the writer has a vendetta against Richardson and the team after having his car towed at a Patroons game, and also that the Times Union center (named for the newspaper), another venue, is in competition with the Armory venue, where the Patroons play.

Richardson loses control [times union]
Patroons, Richardson part [times union]
Former Patroons coach speaks out [capital news 9]

Comments

1. ""I want to make an apology if I offended anyone..." is not an apology. If? Give me a freaking break!

Posted by: Rodolfo | Apr 5, 2007 10:17:54 AM

2. I don't think he was fired for the f-word comment. If they fired every person that said the f-word in basketball there would be no league. That goes for other sports as well. It's all about being macho and gay people are seen as not being masculine and are the target of that attitude.

Posted by: Jack! | Apr 5, 2007 12:04:40 PM

3. Jack! what makes you draw that broad, somewhat pessimistic conclusion? True, he uttered the anti-gay slur at the same he made the comments on Jewish lawyers, so could it have been an accumulation of the two? ultimately though it's said that the homophobic slur is what did him in.

And remember that for the same thing Ann Coulter was dropped by 9 newspapers, Tim Hardaway lost major sponsors, and Isaiah Washington reportedly lost millions in his contract renewal with ABC. So there's less and less tolerance for homophobia at all levels of society, and offenders everywhere have to start adjusting to this new reality.

As for me - I'm not really a NBA fan, but if the sport keeps showing signs of openess and welcomess towards gays, I just might start watching!

Posted by: Da | Apr 5, 2007 12:44:13 PM

4. According to general manager Jim Coyne, the anti-gay slur was the reason, so, unless some other evidence surfaces that's all we have to go on...

Posted by: andy | Apr 5, 2007 1:07:24 PM

5. The peanut gallery is losing its touch. Someone should have used the n word to bring him down a peg by now.

Posted by: 0000000 | Apr 5, 2007 1:21:24 PM

6. Why is it that EVERY time we have a discussion such as this, that DOESN'T have a single stupid, race vs. orientation comment on it, some jackass ALWAYS shows up to bring up the topic by POINTING OUT THAT NO ONE HAS BROUGHT UP THE TOPIC.

That is just so damned asinine.

0000000, I would suggest that you are a troll and the BIGGEST nut in the very peanut gallery that you are complaining about.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 5, 2007 2:12:42 PM

7. "I want to make an apology if I offended anyone. I am 100 percent sorry"

Nice fauxpology.

Posted by: gc | Apr 5, 2007 2:37:16 PM

8. The Bastard got his "due rewards"

Posted by: DaK | Apr 5, 2007 3:51:21 PM

9. This is why I hate forced apologies. What exactly is the point?

They aren't sincere what what good are they?

If a person isn't at the very least sorry enough to instruct his press agent make up a real apology that says, "I said X, it was offensive, it was wrong and there was no excuse for it. I apologize to the Jewish and gay communties for the offense my words caused", then they should just not bother with releasing one.

I would rather hear no apology at all than hear one that a person put extra time and energy into in order to doublespeak his way out of actually saying that he's sorry.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 5, 2007 5:00:00 PM

10. DA and Andy, I'm sure he was fired for both the anti-semetic stereotypes and f-word comment. I think that if he only said the f-word he would have be punished to a lesser degree. I'm not as optimistic as DA is about situations like this.

Micheal Richardson went into a monologue of every jewish stereotype; that they are crafty, controlling, good with money, and form cabals. The media coverage that I've seen reported the anti-semetic comments with more importance than the f-word comment. The f-word comment was just the final nail in the coffen.

Posted by: Jack! | Apr 5, 2007 6:16:12 PM

11. Something odd is going on here, there appear to be "hidden" threads that you can't see from "main". The order is also getting mixed up. How can we tell Andy?

Posted by: anon | Apr 5, 2007 6:23:21 PM

12. Anon, go to the far right column on your screen and click on ">send a tip" near the top.

I haven't had any troubles with finding articles.

Posted by: Jack! | Apr 5, 2007 9:52:52 PM

13. "I want to make an apology if I offended anyone."

What kind of apology is this? "if"? You are an idiot. A real apology would have said "because I offended someone"

Posted by: clint | Apr 8, 2007 1:59:39 AM