News: Fat Gene, Tom Ford, Village People, New Hampshire

road.jpg Senate committee in New Hampshire endorses (3-2) civil union bill that the House passed last week. The Senate is expected to vote next week!

Soulforceroad.jpg The Washington Post tells the tale of Soulforce: “Even on American highways crowded with giant family cars, buses are still big enough to make a point. For his acid tour in 1964, Ken Kesey had his Merry Pranksters repaint a 1939 school bus in psychedelic colors with brooms. These days buses are plastic-wrapped with their messages, like giant Twinkies on a mission. The one driving down Route 7 in Virginia yesterday was purplish on one side and orange sunset on the other. In huge letters it said “Social Justice for Gay, Bisexual and Transgender People.” On the highway, fellow drivers either honked and waved or threw Coke cans. In Sioux City, Iowa, someone spray-painted the bus with ‘Fag, God doesn’t love you.'”

road.jpg Why is Brad Pitt losing his hair?

road.jpg Don Imus just the tip of the hate speech iceberg: what about Glenn Beck, Neal Boortz, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O’Reilly, Michael Savage, Michael Smerconish, and John Gibson? Al Franken calls on CNN to fire Glenn Beck.

road.jpg Scientists identify gene that makes us fat.

Butlerroad.jpg Tom Ford celebrates the opening of his new butler-staffed boutique.

road.jpg Fallen American Idol contestant Frenchie Davis shows that there’s room for both God and the gays: “When I’m singing, that is when I feel closest to God. I feel like I’m fulfilling his purpose for my life. Sometimes I get goose bumps, and sometimes my bottom lip quivers. I know it is God, because this business is insane and I want to give up on it every day. It’s my belief that keeps me going….I used to sing at the gay clubs in D.C., and the boys would come up onstage and give me tips. They still do! There was a gay Stanford law student who started a Save Frenchie Web site and Save Frenchie T-shirts. All the important men in my life have been gay. Even though I’m not gay, I’ve always been a member of the gay community.

road.jpg Nice bathrobe: Will Arnett’s gay cameo in 30 Rock.

Jfkcloneroad.jpg Vogue Hommes International attempts to capture the spirit (and the abs) of JFK Jr.

road.jpg Village People celebrate 30 years in show business: “David Hodo, the construction worker, remembers it well. ‘The (casting) ad said, ‘Must have mustache.’ Back in 1977, the producers envisioned a gay disco group that would be “a very dark, very heavy Marlboro Man experience,’ says Hodo, who immediately took another approach. ‘There was absolutely no way I could do this seriously, so I started to spoof on the stuff. We realized it was more fun to have fun with it. That’s what the group is, tongue in cheek.'”

road.jpg HIV and Me: Stephen Fry making documentary about friends who are HIV positive and those who have died of AIDS. Fry: “I’m not HIV positive myself but the documentary is something very close to my heart as I have friends who have died from AIDS and who are HIV positive. I’ve also worked for the [AIDS charity The Terrence Higgins Trust] for a long time.”

road.jpg Jimmy Kimmel called out for attack on Gawker editor.

road.jpg Reporter: Despite their recently waning numbers, gay TV characters are gaining complexity.

Comments

1. Leland says

PUH-leeze! Jimmy Kimmel is often a pig and his girlfriend needs bitch-slapped for her “I’m too hip to be criticized for my racist, sexist, homophobic jokes. And the AIDS ones, too.” attitude, but he doesn’t pointlessly endanger the lives of celebrities just to feed the sick fan machine that she herself mocks as Ms. Gawker does with the Gawker Stalker alerts which even she admitted could tell a nut via his/her cellphone where, e.g., Robert Kennedy, Jr., or Caroline Kennedy are within 15 minutes of being spotted.

2. mark says

Go on Frenchie! Show the world that the double standard of AI, was just that, a double standard!

And, thank goodness for Mediamatters, call out all of these racist, sexist, homophobic jerks who seem to think they can spew hate in the name of a buck or laugh.

3. Shawn says

Frenchie: “Even though I’m not gay, I’ve always been a member of the gay community.”

I love it.

4. anon says

No Sean Hannity or Mark Levin? MediaMatters strikes me as a bit too boohoohoo-ish. What exactly are the correct standards of decorum that should be maintained? Can Al Franken call Rush L. a big fat idiot? I don’t think anyone knows. Where is Dear Prudence when we need her?

5. anon says

As I’ve mentioned already, any Live TV show that announces its guest list in advance (“Tomorrow night we have Cher…”) is putting celebs in as much danger as Gawker, so the tort idea behind the claims being made is weak.

6. Rad says

Will Arnett on “30 Rock” was HYSTERICAL! I am surprised that the show is so low in the ratings. It’s very sharply written and well performed. Marvelous!

7. Leland says

Nonsense, Anon. Comparing a person announced for a live show with all of the complex variables involved—when do they arrive, how, what entrance; program security guards, etc.—with a celebrity by themselves 15 MINUTES AWAY in a store or restaurant or on the street is ABSURD! In Gawker Stalker’s recent Prime Target RFK, Jr., alert, they described the vehicle he was in, on what street—all but the license plate number. Shame on you for trying to split hairs—and doing such a dumb ass job of it—when people’s safety and reasonable zone of privacy is involved.

8. anon says

Leland, you’re point was disproven recently when a stalker approached a guest on The Tonight Show or similar as I recall. She got through security and sat in the audience. Then there is MTV’s studio which is visible from the street while they broadcast live, not to mention the Today’s Show open set, again live. Please argue with people who don’t know what they are talking about.

9. Jorge says

Seriously, is there a topic here that Leland does not spout off about……ever?

And why does he feel the need to insult everyone who has an opinion that is different from his?

Maybe Leland should go vent his anger in life somewhere else.

10. Jack! says

It’s been a pretty positive week for gay people in America, legally. Bills and cases are moving forward in many states. I’m encouraged.

Why doesn’t a gay or straight celebrity go on atleast one of the stops with Soulforce? Sheryl Crow was just on Hardball telling the host about a 13-stop bus tour to college campuses she is doing with a global warming group. Obviously having Sheryl Crow joining the bus tour increases the publicity of the global warming group.

Frenchie is amazing. I’ve loved her since her Idol days.

Stephen Fry is doing a great thing. Gay teens don’t understand the impact HIV and AIDS has had on the gay community and that it is still a major problem.

11. Cristian says

I’m still regreting my prejudice of having thought “A sitcom with Alec Baldwin? Ewww!! How bad on earth could that be?” back then last year when 30rock was announced and came out, having completely ignored the show all this time since then.
    Until fed up of running into flattering comments in one blog or the other here and there, more and more every month, I couldn’t avoid my curiosity anymore and finally “made the effort” of watching this week an episode for the first time.
    Now I’m hating myself for knowing that the season is 2 or 3 episodes away from ending, as I’m still in shock of what a piece of impeccably genius television Tina Fey has come up with.
    It’s now that I’m joining all the voices condemning how unfarilhy underated and unrecognized that show has been. Wake up, America! It’s going already for a second season but don’t let it die. A script jewel in the style of Sex & The City, Friends or Sopranos like this 30rock is, does not show up on TV that often. Don’t miss one single episode anymore!!!