Don Imus | News | Radio

Turned Off: Don Imus Loses CBS Radio Show

CBS this afternoon announced that it was firing Don Imus for racist, sexist, and classist remarks regarding the Rutgers women's basketball team which Time magazine recently characterized as "a perfect little diamond of insult".

ImusSaid CBS chairman Les Moonves: "From the outset, I believe all of us have been deeply upset and revulsed by the statements that were made on our air about the young women who represented Rutgers University in the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship with such class, energy and talent. Those who have spoken with us the last few days represent people of goodwill from all segments of our society - all races, economic groups, men and women alike. In our meetings with concerned groups, there has been much discussion of the effect language like this has on our young people, particularly young women of color trying to make their way in this society. That consideration has weighed most heavily on our minds as we made our decision, as have the many emails, phone calls and personal discussions we have had with our colleagues across the CBS Corporation and our many other constituencies."

You may have missed...
MSNBC Cans Imus as Debate on Hate Speech Rages [tr]

Comments

1. how soon before Bush deports Imus to Iraq in order to boost his own approval ratings?

Posted by: hoya86 | Apr 12, 2007 6:21:17 PM

2. Don Imus looks just like the grinch and acts like one too. I wonder if it was his awful looks that helped make him such a mean spirited person or if it was his mean spritedness that helped made him such an awful looking person? In any case lets hope being brought down by a bunch of nappy headed hos humbles him enough to be less mean spirited in the future.

Posted by: KR | Apr 12, 2007 6:32:59 PM

3. Is now a bad time for us to make fun of HIS hair?

Posted by: Jake | Apr 12, 2007 6:47:39 PM

4. Ever get the feeling that homophobic remarks still don't carry the same weight as racial remarks? Isaiah Washington got off easy...and I certainly don't recall Al Sharpton rushing to T.R. Knight's defense, despite the fact that he likes to boast that he's fighting for "all" civil rights...

Posted by: Steven | Apr 12, 2007 6:47:57 PM

5. Honestly, who the hell is this old coot anyway...? who the hell listens to this old geezer...i'm not apologizing for him...but he is a looser to start with...lets move on...

Posted by: tom | Apr 12, 2007 7:02:19 PM

6. I'm not exactly sure that the comment was racially motivated. Just because it was aimed at some black women doesn't make it a racist statement. Watch the Comedy Central Roast of Pam Anderson, you might describe Courtney Love with the same language, and she is pretty damn white.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 12, 2007 7:03:20 PM

7. I know Sharpton has a controversial history to which I can't speak. However, I do know that he, like Dennis Kucinich, has virtually the right position on every gay-related issue that I care about.

And a toast to a GREAT DAY for Civilization with Imus FINALLY being totally kicked to the curb. He's still a millionaire, and some other network is likely to pick him up, but his ego will never recover [until he finally "gets it"]. A line has been drawn in the sand that we must not let fade—for ourselves, for people of color, and women generally. Attention MSNBC; Chris Matthews, et al: Bigotry Is Not A Joke!!!!

Posted by: Leland | Apr 12, 2007 7:08:49 PM

8. Well said STEVEN. I have been saying that since Washington opened his stupid mouth.

As for Imus, he's really learning the truth about something he took for granted, free speech works both ways, and the way that wins is the all mighty dollar.

I had a run in with him over a decade ago, I thought he was in his 60's then, man looks like death on two feet. I was working the finish line at the Race for the Cure Run in Central Park, as a volunteer finish line offical. He was there for his girlfriend/wife/future wife or what ever, how do guys like him and Larry King get these hot babes, oh yea, the money thing again.

He was standing around with the press and V.I.P.'s, smoking a cigarette, while people were looking on in shock. After several complained to me and others I went up to him and asked him to put it out. He looked at me with such disdain and surprise and asked why.

"You may not have noticed but this is a race to raise money for the fight against CANCER. Not to mention the fact that both runners and cancer survivors may have a problem with it." He gave me another dirty look and I asked him if he prefered I get one of the police officers who were standing by, I guess my race offical uniform was not enough to impress. He put it out while glaring.

An asshole then, an asshole now. Good bye and good riddance.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 12, 2007 7:15:04 PM

9. Judy BLESS you, Patrick, both for the story and the role you played in it! [Reminds me of a similar run in with a non-celebrity Frenchman fumé.] Given his tape loop this week, I'm surprised that Imus didn't say, while glaring at you, "Don't you understand? I am NOT a bad person. I have a good heart!"

Posted by: Leland | Apr 12, 2007 7:22:10 PM

10. Don't be fooled. The only rights Al Sharpton is interested in are his own. His right to insert himself into any situation and delude people into thinking that he is of any importance whatsoever.

I wonder if he gets Christmas cards from Tawana Brawley?

Posted by: Roscoe | Apr 12, 2007 7:29:46 PM

11. You miss the point, Roscoe. I don't give a damn what Sharpton's motivation is any more than I care what is really in the "heart" of Don Imus. It is the effect of their words and actions that matter to me. Sharpton publicly endorses gay MARRIAGE, adoption, military service, immigration, nondiscrimination and hate crimes legislation, [including gender identification]. Imus calls us faggots and mocks every aspect of our lives, and laughs at jokes about our being physically attacked.

Neither do I care if Hillary or Obama or Edwards or the Repug candidates "like" me. It's the room they would or would not give me to live my life as an openly gay man, and what message their words and actions about LGBTs send to others, that are important.

Posted by: Leland | Apr 12, 2007 7:43:32 PM

12. Only 999 shock jocks to go...

Posted by: anon | Apr 12, 2007 8:00:41 PM

13. Don -
    It's to your credit that you don't know who Don Imus is. His show personifies and caters to the straight white patriarchy -that runs the networks - that understands only revenue losses, not hate speech. Hence the 7 day delay. Note that Republican pols were very quick to accept the apology. I think it was McCain who termed it "redemption." They will never get it.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 12, 2007 8:07:37 PM

14. Chris, do you know what "nappy-headed" means. I do think too much attention was paid to the racism (which I think is obvious but you could argue it). Calling these girls "hos" was over the line. We all know what "ho" means.

Posted by: Daniel | Apr 12, 2007 8:12:12 PM

15. I hope Rosanne Barr is paying attention to all of this and the way it's being handled. Although gay people have been one of the favored targets, if not THE favorite target, of this man's bigoted rants for years, he gets fired for his "racist, sexist, and classist" statements after a meeting with "people of goodwill from ALL segments of our society - all races, economic groups, men and women alike."

In that entire speel not one mention of the rampant homophobia and not one suggestion that gay and lesbian representatives were involved in the consultations.

THAT is why some gay activist are single minded about gay issues Rosy. NO ONE ELSE WILL STAND UP FOR US! Most people don't even seem to want to admit that gay people are on the receiving end of any of this crap.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 12, 2007 8:37:29 PM

16. PATRICK NYC -- While I understand your motivations, and you had every right to make your opinion known, Imus was enjoying his fix in a public location and thus you had no right whatsoever to expect him to respond to your extra-legal attempts with anything less than a dismissal. Had you gone to the policeman, he would likely have told you there was nothing he could do, and had he made Imus extinguish his cigarette, chances are he would have sued you and the NYPD.

And no, I am not a smoker.

Posted by: Becks07 | Apr 12, 2007 8:47:36 PM

17. Well, hopefully this is a wake up call to the others who have radio and television shows that they hurl out racist, sexist homophobic remarks without anything happening to them and their career. Glen Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, and all the rest of the churls who think they are better than gays, women and people of color, and will do anything for a cheap laugh, you are going to be more scrutinized now as well.

As to the Fox News analysis going on here about Rev Al, I do think he has a sister who is gay, so, I don't think he fits into that neat umbrella of homophobe, if only peiople would learn about some of these folks before declaring them homophobic like this, when Rev Al has said he is pro gay rights, but, that goes unnoticed it seems.

Posted by: Luke | Apr 12, 2007 8:47:37 PM

18. Good.

When do Rev Al and Rosie get fired?

Posted by: Tom | Apr 12, 2007 9:21:18 PM

19. BECKS07

Perhaps I did not print a clear enough picture for you. While Central Park is a public location, he was standing behind a roped off area where VIP's, many who were women who not only survived cancer, complained about the smoke. They were all standing near him and were clearly upset, having told me and other officals so. This was at an event that the park signed over to us. So while in a public space, like the St. Patrick's day love fest, it was signed over to a private group.

I made no threat of arrest, I simply told Imus I would get a police officer to intercede. Imus did not put the butt out over threat of arrest, more likely avoidance of an embarrassing situation. HMMM. Too bad he did not reflect on it last week.

ZEKE & LELAND good to see your posts, sorry I've been a bit too busy to join in of late, the new job is taking a lot of my time up. Hope you boys are both well.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 12, 2007 9:21:39 PM

20. The punishment did not fit the crime, an old cliche but certainly applicable here.

He apologized, is meeting with the Rutgers women and was suspended for two weeks.

Al Sharpton injecting himself into this serves no one else other than Al Sharpton. Reverend Sharpton? Reverend??? He's as reverend as lemons are sweet.

Posted by: Stephen | Apr 12, 2007 9:21:41 PM

21. I am so happy that he is gone. I do not watch him, but the few times I have come upon his show, he is always saying things just like the comment that ended his career. This is the second big move this year to silence, or at least smack down the voice of bigotry. I never understood how he made his way to radio and television anyway. Yea!

Posted by: Rick Sutherland | Apr 12, 2007 10:03:11 PM

22. One Down, 999 to go! When can we turn Off Bush?

Posted by: vince | Apr 12, 2007 10:05:32 PM

23. Frankly, I watched Imus on occasion and enjoyed his show. He did some great interviews of politicians and political commentators. He was totally opposed to the war in Iraq. He also is heavily involved in cancer research for kids. My point is, he is not all bad. He is complicated, and yes, his show did contain skits that were outrageously bigoted.
    I'd like to say that Imus did more than simply apologize. For several days he took his medicine and consistently apologized and tried to make amends. He is to be commended for that.
    Lastly, I'd like to say that if we ban the N word and the F word and all of the other bad words and phrases we can find offensive, then we will merely drive the bigotry underground. I'd rather error on the side of freedom of speech and debate the issues out in the open.

Posted by: Fred | Apr 12, 2007 10:22:20 PM

24. Right back at ya Patrick!

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 12, 2007 10:39:02 PM

25. I'm tired of this subject. I'm gonna go lay down and take a nappy.

Posted by: Becks07 | Apr 12, 2007 10:42:23 PM